TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Catalytic Converter Problem dilema?

Post by TAV »

Things always come in threes!!!

Airbag sensor problem ...... sorted

Over heating / New radiator ...... sorted

..... Now have the Engine Exhaust Emission light on

I'm guessing its the cat as theres a 'tinkling' sound under the car at certain speeds. (and they seem to have both appeared almost the same time).

My INPA software shows no errors.

I've read various threads. Heres the problem. The cars worth what £1700.

Do I spend £800 having a new Cat fitted or can it be done cheaper. Google is saying supply prices form £125. Is it really £650 labour????
Last edited by TAV on Thu 31 Jul, 2014 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Z3 1.9 Facelift / Atlanta Blue

Midsomer Mikey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Catalytic Converter Problem dilema?

Post by Midsomer Mikey »

I bought one off flebay for about £100.oo changed it myself no probs
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Think I'll be changing mine over winter as it only just scraped the emmissions test last month, I have been warned against the cheaper ones one eBay as there only lasting around a year. Maybe it will be false economy if your intending to keep the car for a number of years. I agree £800 is ridiculous, I'd be aiming for the middle ground. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Not ready yet

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Not ready yet »

I let ETS do mine, £170 fitted, passed MOT no problem, advised that pre 2002 cars only had to meet its manufacturers declared emissions and not some new 102 new reg.
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

Thanks for replies.

I'm hopefully getting a Z4 in winter, and the MOT isn't till March next year.

I will see how much my local indie charges. £170 sounds much less painful.

Out of interest, if its replaced, will the emission light go out by its self, or will it need reseting? I just had my INPA plugged in and couldn't see any link to lambda/cat system.

GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

I've a similar problem too, I had a new cat (£170) fitted at ATS 2 years ago. A few months back it started making an odd tinny noise so I recently had it tested and the CO levels are much higher than they should be, everything else is ok and no warning lights either. I'm in discussions at the moment trying to get it replaced under warranty, failed after 9300 miles... :(
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

My Son's zed had a new cat fitted by the previous owner just before purchase and the car came with 12 months MOT.However,on the following two MOT's,the car has struggled to pass the emissions test.Our Mechanic believes little mileage and stale fuel may be the problem as my Son left the car with us while he was away at Uni and it only covered a few hundred miles over a three year period.We were advised to purchase catalytic cleaner,put in before filling the tank with fuel and give the car a good blast down the motorway.As my Son is now employed 100 miles away and the zed is his daily commute,the stale fuel issue should go away.My point is,a new catalytic convertor may not necessarily get your car thro' an MOT,there may be other factors that need to be considered before you spend your hard-earned.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i got my cat from eurocarparts at £112 delivered
i fitted it myself but the local garage would have charged £20 for fitting.
it comes with a 2 year guarantee so if she fails the next MOT due to the cat i will get it replaced free.
i have heard stories that the cheaper fleebay ones don't last very long but i can't confirm this.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I had a new stainless steel exhaust system fitted by Longlife which included a new cat (the 1998 BMW started to break up) and after just 1-year the car failed the MOT purely on a high Co reading which was pinpointed to Cat failure. Longlife claimed to be very surprised and replaced it under warranty (1-year) and paid for a new MOT. I would say that if the Euro Car Parts cat has a 2-year guarantee that is pretty good and is as long as the general guarantee given on OE BMW parts.
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

Thanks again for replies.

Does anyone know if the INPA software will verify what the emission light is failing on? I have had my software running, under SHIFT - F6 for older models and E36 and can't find anything to do with emissions or CAT errors.

I'm just wondering in case the 'tinkling' sound is something else (handbrake cable/exhaust loose) and I end up buying a new CAT for no reason.

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

TAV wrote:Thanks again for replies.

Does anyone know if the INPA software will verify what the emission light is failing on? I have had my software running, under SHIFT - F6 for older models and E36 and can't find anything to do with emissions or CAT errors.

I'm just wondering in case the 'tinkling' sound is something else (handbrake cable/exhaust loose) and I end up buying a new CAT for no reason.
If the light is on, INPA will report the code. You need to look in the 'engine' section of INPA.
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
TAV wrote:Thanks again for replies.

If the light is on, INPA will report the code. You need to look in the 'engine' section of INPA.
Thanks.

I could only seem to understand the 'Body' section. The 'Engine' section brings up a list of DDE/DME etc options and I'm not sure what they mean.

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

They are the various ECUs that these cars may have. If you have a facelift 1.9, you'll have an M43 engine - have a look for an ecu option that mentions M43. Failing that, just try them in turn until you find the one that works - you can't do any harm by doing that.
TAV

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TAV »

Thanks. I give it a try tonight.