The impossible task of removing wiper arms

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

The impossible task of removing wiper arms

Post by Z3 Mark »

So what's the trick to removing the wiper arms, as it's impossible as far as I'm concerned :head:

Even bought a little puller thing that people have recommended me to no avail...

if someone can give me any help with this I'd be super greatful as I need to get to the heater resistor, and want to do this job myself rather than pay a garage as it's only the wiper removal stopping me now :head: :bawl:
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: The impossible task of removing wiper arms

Post by pingu »

You are doing the right things. Try some PlusGas on the splines (don't waste your time with WD40). Also gentle taps with a 1lb hammer (it's a Goldilocks - not too light and not too heavy), but be careful of the threads and the paint (I would cover everything with a cloth first to prevent damage to the paint). Be aware that the spindle will not be rigidly supported and may bend if hit too hard - use lots of gentle taps using the weight of the hammer head, not the force of your arm, like a gentle machine gun.

I would avoid using heat as there is a lot of plastic around and it may damage the paint. But, it is always a last resort.
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Follow the directions from Pingu.... try applying the puller, and then gently tapping the "screw" of the puller at the top and then turn the puller another little tighter and tap,tap, tap it again ....
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Something else. Take the stress off the spindle by lifting the wiper arm. On the pictures, it looks like the blade is still on the windscreen.

Don't forget to note the position of the arm before you remove it, so you get it back in the same place.
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Heat is the answer - but like anything else, use it in moderation. A hair dryer will do no harm, the plastics being moulded at higher temperatures.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

First thing to do Mark is to replace the spindle nut and screw it down level with end of the threads on the spindle. Otherwise you may damage the "start" of the thread. Then apply your puller tool and put some fair pressure on it.

Next I would go for Gooka's tapping method, and if the doesn't work either, it's gentle heat as Mike says.

Good luck mate. :)

Cheers, Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Undo nut so it is left on about three turns. Put puller on as pictured. Apply pressure to the screw and tap the end with an 8oz small hammer.
They will pop off.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I would replace the nut too about a few threads so that when the wiper arm does come off it will stop any injury from flying parts.
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

:D Thanks everyone! Success!!! I finally got the bloody things off and have fitted a new resistor...FINALLY :D

Unfortunately the left hand side white strap that holds the black casing on over the heater will not go back in place (the bottom of the clip is splayed inwards meaning that with the pressure on the case it wont hold in place)

Realistically how much of a problem is this? I have no idea on where to get a replacement if it's needed and really don't fancy digging down to that level on the car again, the right side is clipped on snugly but I feel like it's a bodge really without both sides in place.

Still the heater works properly now which is a huge plus :)
pgunter66

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pgunter66 »

Hello

Bit late as you have done the job, but this looks handy :-)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... rm-remover
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

pgunter66 wrote:Hello

Bit late as you have done the job, but this looks handy :-)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... rm-remover
Saw that but found the one I bought in the end much cheaper online.
Now I understand that it just needed a bloody good pull (think the penetrating oil helped too)
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

A mini ball joint splitter!!
lpalencia

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lpalencia »

Z3 Mark,

How did you get if off? which method did you use?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

pingu wrote:Something else. Take the stress off the spindle by lifting the wiper arm. On the pictures, it looks like the blade is still on the windscreen.

Don't forget to note the position of the arm before you remove it, so you get it back in the same place.

Exactly what I did, worked first time.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
DanHolman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DanHolman »

Try to find the black puller on ebay its a bit more heavy duty. Put a pre load on the puller then pull the wiper arm up slightly as it has a spring in it which puts a load on the thread which you may need to release.
I successfully replaced my wiper mech but-
The problem Is the central nut- there is not enough clearance to properly align a puller.

I found the answer using a medium sized flat head screwdriver - place it carefully under the wiper arm behind the nut but don't use it as a lever, instead twist it; by twisting the handle which is a larger diameter you get a large amount of torque on the smaller rotating flat head part of the driver at the other end you are using geared up jacking force on the rotating flat head. Hey presto! it pops off. It worked for me.

First spray with WD40 and leave for a short time... One cup of Tea. 8-)

put something under the driver so it doesn't damage the plastic.

complete removal of the mech was awkward but it can be done.
the driver I used was from Wilkinsons with the orange handle.
Be sure to re torque to recommended specs if successful
good luck