Automatic Kick Down

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Automatic Kick Down

Post by Z3 Mark »

I have had automatic cars before with quite a pronounced kick down but my zed doesn't seem to have one.

It physically has the switch under the pedal but I'm not really sure that this is doing anything, but being a 1.9 it might just be weak enough not to notice perhaps? (as in can't shift down as it's already over the range).

Is there any quick way to tell if this switch works or not as if not I'd like to get it sorted asap as It would help with the car feeling a little gutless I would think.

Sports mode (switch on the auto) seems to work fine and holds the rev band much longer giving the car more ooompphh :)
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Automatic Kick Down

Post by Mugs »

i have a 1.9 auto and it has a good kickdown although i find i have to give it a hard push on the pedal to activate it. if the kickdown hasn't been used that often it could have dirt in the switch stopping it from working?
try a hard push on the pedal, it should drop the gear and go up to the redline.
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Mugs wrote:i have a 1.9 auto and it has a good kickdown although i find i have to give it a hard push on the pedal to activate it. if the kickdown hasn't been used that often it could have dirt in the switch stopping it from working?
try a hard push on the pedal, it should drop the gear and go up to the redline.

If it doesn't then what is the next step in the diagnostic / repair process?
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i suppose it's a case of removing the switch and checking it works using a multimeter.
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Mugs wrote:i suppose it's a case of removing the switch and checking it works using a multimeter.
I'm finding it really difficult to find any info on.

I've read online that removing this switch may trip an error code on the ecu... I don't want to mess anything up, so I might just take it somewhere... hmmmm thanks I'll have a ponder...
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Well don't I feel stupid! :oops: :D

Turns out the switch is fine and it's just bloody stiff so I don't think I've ever actually pushed it down that far before :lol:

I've booted it and the kickdown is fine so will cover it in wd40 to hopefully free the mechanism up... nice to know there no ecu problems or anything though :D
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

If you would have searched you would have found I discussed it already. You are only the second person to have this problem :D
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

there you go......simple fix :D
glad you got it sorted. :wink: