options to consider whilst i look for one. Was there many
optional extras to choose from when new? I don't know the
first thing about them. :(

Bob
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Re: Desirable Options on Z3

Post by TR4man »

Heated seats and a hardtop if being used all year round as a daily driver (as mine is)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sport version ;-)

You can download a brochure and price list below which will help you ...

November 2001 Brochure

November 2001 Price List
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Air conditioning is a good option to have.

And the Sport or "M Sport" version is more sports orientated as it has uprated suspension and better seats. However this comes at the expense of a harder ride.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Some options were available (correct me if I am wrong):
Chrome line interior,
Electric hood,
Cruise control,
Onboard computer,
Air con,
Heated side windows,
Headlight washers,
Heated windshield washers,
CD changer (business radio)

Can't remember anything else.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Jonttt wrote:Sport version ;-)

You can download a brochure and price list below which will help you ...

November 2001 Brochure

November 2001 Price List
Make sure that earlier years cars might not have some options which were standard in 2001 (like rollover bars or clear indicators)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

when buying a Z, do what I did. have a look at a few, see if you can find one with the hard top mounts. when I brought mine I didn't realise what they were (the seller obviously didn't either), after taking a photo of them and asking on here ( wtf are these) I removed them and sold them, this effectively reduced my Z purchase costs by about £400 :o bargain car :lol: I use my Z all year round and its fine in the winter with just the soft top, some days are still good to go roof down, though you will get some odd looks from other drivers :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you can find one which has the OEM roll bars fitted as well as the OEM wind deflector it'll add heaps to the general top down driving comfort, and save you a few hundred quid in doing finding and fitting them later. Interior floor mats...if they are OEM and in good condition, seats and especially the driver outer seat bolster in good condition, seat motors...make sure they easily move the seat forward/back/up and down. Door exterior mirrors...check condition of the bases, they are known to corrode, blister and lock up...which freezes the swivel of the upper half and makes it likely you will break something if you need to remove the mirrors. 3rd brake light...check inside the boot lid by removing the plastic trim..if it's really badly rusted / corroded, it's likely there's a water leak at the seal. Check the boot carpets for dampness...any damp will mean there's a leak into the boot.... same with the foot wells inside the car. Check the fit of the glove box lid... they can sag and not fit as originally made. If you can find a model with a roof liner fitted, that's a big plus in terms of interior noise with the top up and hearing the sound system. Also, if you get a model with clear headlight indicators, side repeaters and clear rear tail light fittings you're saving £££££'s.... Check the seatbelt guides that they're not broken... they can cost £25 each and are a PITA to replace. Check the door cards for signs of warping especially at the lock push button end... they tend to "curl" away from the door. Once you have covered those items, then small "desirable" options are what you're left with and they will be significantly inexpensive as aftermarket acquisitions. Obviously things like wheel rims / pavement rash and the cost of re-furbing should be considered as well as the front end which takes the stone and grit chips. Headlight lenses should be clear enough to see the innards and not have any serious signs of scratches dulling etc... Check the roof seams and especially the front end where it seals to the windscreen for excessive wear. Windows should be able to go up and down reasonably smoothly if slowly. Tool kit in the boot should be complete with jack and wheel chock as well a a spare which is usable... they are stored in an under car compartment which isn't waterproof, and may be rusted. Check the underside of the motor for any sign of oil dampness as well as the gearbox areas. Check the condition of the rubber sealing grommet of the aerial...
A very important issue is to make sure the motor is absolutely cold before test driving... once a motor is warmed up, many little issues become undetectable... things like the gearshift ease a little as well as general engine noises... if you do that, and note any "odd sounds", first ask for advice on the forum here as to the possible causes before committing to buy... the experience here is quite amazing, and you will get lots of advice... some very good and some less so, but overall the intentions are in the right place.
If you're the type of driver who is more likely to be doing extended freeway tours etc, then consider cruise control as a requirement...if the car isn't fitted with it, it isn't a major cost to fit and very simple to do...all the main wiring loom connections are already in the car to connect it up to the parts you will require... the various parts are easy enough to source off eBay if not from a forum member.
If you feel you need a center armrest between the seats, you can have a look through my posts...I make these up for the Z3's
Hope the above will assist you to be a little more discerning when buying and provide some good ammo to negotiate with.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

A glass rear window ... :(
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Southernboy has good points, only he takes it for granted that you will want to modify your car as most members of this forum. There is some "standard" mods and retrofittings route for each z3 fanatic:
- clear indicators
- roll hoops
- z3m side windows
- armrest
- poly bushes everywhere
- front strut brace
- sport or even z3m seats
As I know there are many people out there, who are not paying so much attention to their car, or they really don't care if they have clear indicator or not. And actually wind deflector on car without roll hoops is much more effective in my experience than wind deflector on car with roll hoops.

And I agree that hard top fitting kit is like a hidden treasure, because many people with preinstalled kit don't even know it's market value.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

deni2s wrote:Southernboy has good points, only he takes it for granted that you will want to modify your car as most members of this forum. There is some "standard" mods and retrofittings route for each z3 fanatic:
- clear indicators
- roll hoops
- z3m side windows
- armrest
- poly bushes everywhere
- front strut brace
- sport or even z3m seats
As I know there are many people out there, who are not paying so much attention to their car, or they really don't care if they have clear indicator or not. And actually wind deflector on car without roll hoops is much more effective in my experience than wind deflector on car with roll hoops.

And I agree that hard top fitting kit is like a hidden treasure, because many people with preinstalled kit don't even know it's market value.

I want some Z3M side windows badly.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...saw that...I think mirrors are what's meant... :D
"Normal is overrated"

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Yeah, sorry for that :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... I was about to ask you to send some pics of the "side windows".... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I want some goodly!