car radio advice

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

car radio advice

Post by johnz3 »

Looking to replace my business cd. Want to buy something that will match the wiring harness and will fit straight into the space left by old radio. Can people advise what they have purchased that meets the above. Thanks.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: car radio advice

Post by Southernboy »

..... depends on how much you want to spend... I have a Becker and wouldn't have anything else... I did try a Sony prior to the Becker, and it was just too much like an Xmas tree at night... the Becker is a really powerful unit, and the options of Bluetooth, Ipod, etc etc are there if you want them. They're not cheap though, so it's all about your budget.
Apart from the quality, I really like the clean uncluttered look as well as the red back lighting and subtle display... doesn't irritate the eyes at night... no multi-coloured led graphics etc... :wink:
I have the "Grand Prix" model.... have a look on eBay, you may find a 2nd hand one for sale... they are OEM in Ferrari, Porsche and Mercedes, so try searching under those car headings too...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Pretty much any single DIN form factor had unit will fit the space, although you will need a harness adapter to plug it in. These adapters are very common os nothing to worry about. As for choice, it all depends on how much you want to spend versus the look and features you want. Becker look the best, but V pricey! I have a fairly low spec Alpine unit that has the right colour illumination, iPod control and does the job. Next time I would get a slightly higher spec model with Bluetooth for making phone calls and streaming from my phone.

The only real snag when replacing a head unit in the Z3 is the speakers. All UK spec Z3s come with additional amps of various sorts that complicate the issue. You can just plug in with a standard loom adapter and it will sound OK, but to get the best you need to look at the correct interface for the BMW amp or even bypassing it if its just small booster on the back of the left footwell speaker. If i remember correctly you have a 3.0 with subwoofer? Do you have Harmon Kardon? Either way you will have extra amps which means a slightly different harness adapter.

Come back and tell us exactly what you have and we can advise further.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Great. Thanks. Looking to go out today or tomorrow for a look see
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

I like to fit mp3 head units, kenwood and poineer make several for every budget. This one is only £75 and you can connect ipods, mp3 players, usb stick with mp3s (and most other formats) into the front socket, or load up an SD card and put it in the slot behind the faceplate. I use a 16Gb SD card that's got about 50 albums on it and lots of room to spare. The player has a menu so you can scroll through the folders you put on the card.
If you get the wiring harness adaptor then they just fit straight in the slot and no wiring issues at all.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I went for an Alpine head unit that doesn't have a CD player, on offer at £69 at Halfords, red illumination to match dash.. connects to my phone using Bluetooth (where I keep all my music) and also has aux in and USB. Like all aftermarket upgrades you will have to buy a harness adaptor (about £8) and an aerial adaptor (about a fiver)..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

That Alpine unit looks good. I had no idea the price of these things had come down so much!

I like these Mechlesss players and would not bother with a CD player any more. Some good and amazing cheap alternatives here
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I have one of these.:
linky
BT phone which interrupts music and plays through speakers, also music streaming via bluetooth, don't even need iPod now as music is on my phone, though I keep an iPod in there as well. and there is a colour scheme that perfectly matches the interior orange glow.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I went with the Pioneer X560BT, cd less head unit that does usb, iPod, Android and matched the BMW interior.

http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/12 ... /page.html

£99 at Halfords, just plugs straight in.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi, When you say just plugs in does that mean exactly what I think it does in that I unplug the Business CD and the new unit fits exactly into the 'wiring socket' that the Business CD unit did. Also what about the space left by the old unit. The new unit just fits in? Thanks
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

johnz3 wrote:Hi, When you say just plugs in does that mean exactly what I think it does in that I unplug the Business CD and the new unit fits exactly into the 'wiring socket' that the Business CD unit did. Also what about the space left by the old unit. The new unit just fits in? Thanks
No, you need a wiring harness to go between the ISO connectors of the new head units and the BMW harness plug. They are quite cheap though and no bother to install.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Great. Thanks.
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

As said above, you need the BMW round pin to iso harness.
But £5 most places and no wires need adding or swapping etc. everything is on there ready.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Thanks everyone. Pioneer X5600BT now fitted.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi gleeE

Do you know if the phone can be voice activated. Works fine but cannot see from the instruction book if it is.

Thanks
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

Don't know, I have not tried.