Inspection 1 & Inspection 2 comparisons

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Inspection 1 & Inspection 2 comparisons

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there. I am beginning to realise that the 'Inspections' are seemingly quite simply the equivalent of a major/full service and an intermediate service but which is which?
Also based upon mileage between the 'Inspections' what is the normal with the Z3's?
My Volvo is a full service every other one and they are carried out at 10,000 mile intervals or every twelve months - which ever is the sooner.
My 2000 (W) 2.0ltr Auto now has 66,458 miles on her and is currently showing two green lights.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Inspection 1 & Inspection 2 comparisons

Post by alec.m »

The service order is Inspection 1, Oil sevice, Inspection 2, Oil service, then the sequence repeats with a fluids change (brake and coolant) every two years. Inspection 2 is the major service. Services are due when the last green light goes out. Timing of the service is not mileage dependent but I believe is based on the amount of fuel you use so the harder you drive it the sooner the lights will go out. I am sure others will contribute to this thread as some like to change the oil more frequently especially if you don`t drive many miles.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I asked the question on here a month or so ago with regards to changing the oil. I only covered 1500 last year and still have 4 lights lit up. The car was serviced just over a year ago and the oil still looks very clean. After getting back a few responses I've decide to change the oil once I've taken the car off the road for the winter. I'll get it serviced next summer. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Oil and other fluid changes for my car will be manually scheduled.
I have not had to do an oil change for mine yet but I will do it in another 5k.
When the green lights go down I use a coat hanger [reset] to make sure they all appear again so the car stays 'in tune' and runs like a new one! :)
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Apart from the price, the only real difference between Insp 1 and Insp 2 is the removal of the rear discs to check the handbrake shoes, which as the caliper bracket bolts are usually rusted sold would be very time-consuming. This means that if the handbrake works OK, or can be adjusted to do so, the discs are never removed.

An Insp 2 also often involves fitting new spark plugs and an air filter, neither of which justify the price of this fancy oil change. A lubrication service, with new brake fluid and PAS/transmission oils, is far better value, and of more use to the car.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to all that have replied. I am intrigued!!!!!!!!!!!
My anticipated annual mileage with all year round use will be circa 6,000 BUT I do have a Volvo V70 for general duties - including towing a large twin axle caravan.

Mike - I am experiencing a little bit of a 'squat' on the nearside rear when I apply the hand-brake and I suspect that it is one-in-the-same issue that I had with my old 97 Volvo T5 CD Auto and that was related to adjusters on the handbrake. I do not find the handbrake action terribly driver friendly and on a forward/downhill application it will allow the car to creep forward whilst in drive.

Cooper1 - I am somewhat curious by your comment "When the green lights go down I use a coat hanger [reset] to make sure they all appear again so the car stays 'in tune' and runs like a new one".

alec - I am not a particularly heavy footed driver albeit I do occasionally open the car up on a good road but I regularly see 26-28mpg. My driving is mostly rural lanes and an occasional dual carriageway/motorway run.

I am of the understanding that the service charges - given that there are no unexpected surprises are on-par with my local service garage charges for my Volvo D5 SE Geartronic.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Cooper1 - I am somewhat curious by your comment "When the green lights go down I use a coat hanger [reset] to make sure they all appear again so the car stays 'in tune' and runs like a new one".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdzsE3Wpz0

Watch this video which explains how to reset the service lights with a length of wire. Useful info if you do your own servicing but it won`t make your car run "like a new one"! Alec
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

alec.m wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Cooper1 - I am somewhat curious by your comment "When the green lights go down I use a coat hanger [reset] to make sure they all appear again so the car stays 'in tune' and runs like a new one".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdzsE3Wpz0

Watch this video which explains how to reset the service lights with a length of wire. Useful info if you do your own servicing but it won`t make your car run "like a new one"! Alec

Hi Alec. Thank you for your reply. Are there any shortcomings other than the reset will not show on the BMW service history log at a dealers terminal?
Am I correct in thinking that the two quoted terminals are the same for the Z3 and indeed all of the BMW variants can be/are reset in the same way?
Do the numbered terminals have to be connected one number before the other or can they be connected in any order?
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Apart from having no stamp in your service record I can`t see any other issues. If you are doing your own servicing it might be wise to keep all the receipts for parts so you have some proof to show a future buyer that the work has been done. A full service book can make a car easier to sell if you intend to part with your car at some stage though. In the video he connects pin 19 first but as the ignition is switched off at that stage I can`t see why you can`t connect in any order.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

alec.m wrote:Apart from having no stamp in your service record I can`t see any other issues. If you are doing your own servicing it might be wise to keep all the receipts for parts so you have some proof to show a future buyer that the work has been done. A full service book can make a car easier to sell if you intend to part with your car at some stage though. In the video he connects pin 19 first but as the ignition is switched off at that stage I can`t see why you can`t connect in any order.
Hi again Alec. I forgot to ask you if the regular service workshops such as Joe Bloggs Automotive Service & Repairs will have the appropriate Software for resetting after a service schedule has been carried out and the book is stamped and signed to verify/confirm the work having been carried out to the required BMW standards.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Most if not all garages will stamp and sign your service book. They will almost certainly have some sort of reset tool to do the service lights. Not all will have the diagnostic software to interrogate the cars computer for faults. It is usually better to find a good independent BMW garage, they might be a bit dearer per hour than Joe Blogs but they will probably be cheaper in the long run as they will hopefully identify and fix what`s at fault without experimenting changing parts till the problem is solved. Try a new thread on here headed something like "Anyone recommend an Indi in (where ever you live)"
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The rear squat sounds as if only one handbrake drum is working properly, so if adjustment does not improve matters,removing the caliper and disc would be worthwhile. It is possible that the internal linkages need to be replaced - they are cheap enough from GSF.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Mike Fishwick wrote:The rear squat sounds as if only one handbrake drum is working properly, so if adjustment does not improve matters,removing the caliper and disc would be worthwhile. It is possible that the internal linkages need to be replaced - they are cheap enough from GSF.
Hi Mike. Thank you for the heads-up on the handbrake. Unfortunately I can no longer crawl and maul about under cars and have to resort to a man that can. I will have a word with him and get it in probably at the same time as a service visit.
Out of curiosity - who are GSF ?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

GSF = German Swedish French Car Parts. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Robert T wrote:GSF = German Swedish French Car Parts. :wink:

Cheers R.
Hi Robert. Thank you for the info. I will check with my 'Man that Does' but I am sure that he will know of them and has probably used them when I had my 1997 Volvo V70 T5 CD Auto.