Possible seat change

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Possible seat change

Post by Davejue1 »

I'm in the early stages of thinking about changing my seats to the sports type that a lot of forum members seem to have. Having sat in mints (Daves) car at Newark I was really impressed with how comfortable they are in comparison to my standard ones. I suffer with truckers back which basically means I get crippling lower back pain sometimes. After driving for more than 100 miles or so I get this in my Zed. I was in touch with Barry (Southernboy) yesterday who offered me the seat lifters but not sure which way I'm going to sway at the moment. So my questions are....

1. Does anyone suffer with back pain with the sports seats fitted?
2. Do they slot straight into the existing fittings?
3. What would I expect to pay for a set in good condition?
4. What could I expect to get back for my standard seats in good condition?

Cheers :)
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Possible seat change

Post by Dino D »

I put heated sports seats in mine (with lifters. They not Barry's ones but his are way better than the ones I got, discovers hhis site after I did it. Don't bother with the cheaper ones I say).

Back to seats- yes it's worth it. If you have back issues though it may make it better but it won't make your Z a Volvo.
You still sitting low with your legs stretch out...
Our Galaxy with captains chairs is bliss in comparison!

Defo get heated ones as heat helps the back muscles. I use my heaters even on cool days, not just winter days.
You can fit aftermarket seat heating pads into the seat too. Not hard to take the seat apart and wip off the covers. You may need to do it anyways as most sports seats by now have sagging bolsters on drivers side.

The seats just bolt into the existing holes in the car, no modifying.

If you buy seats from a facelift car the connectors will be different for the seat motors and heaters but you can make that work with some fiddling by changing connectors.

I found guides on here and I think BF and the other Z forum too doing all of there things. It's diddly work and best done inside and when you not in a rush to put the car back together for work the next day!!
Cal1000

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cal1000 »

I've been looking for sport seats for a while, seem to cost about £300.

Decided to buy another Zed that had some fitted for £780 from ebay. Planning on taking everything I need (seats, seals etc) and swapping over. Considered breaking car but have been offered £600 from my brother who only wants it for the long mot on it and doesn't care about condition, leaks and bits missing :shock:
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks for the replies, I like the idea of buying a complete car with the seats in and breaking it down for spares. Seriously worth considering. :)

Cheers
Dave

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

According to Quarry Motors website the have a set of Black sports seats £350 not far from you in Sheffield.

http://www.quarrymotors.co.uk/BMWInteri ... ram_page=2

Just seen they have another set £450
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Thanks Brian, I'd be wanting Tan to match the existing trim. :)

Cheers
Dave