First fill up

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Smartbear

blank

First fill up

Post by Smartbear »

I've hijacked mrs smartbears z3 since she got it, commuting to work mainly on A & B roads sticking to speed limits (apart from the odd blast to see what it goes like) just had the fuel light come on at 317 miles, brimmed it with 44.2litres of tescos finest unleaded giving an average of 33.3mpg.
That's about the same as my 3litre si z4 which is what I was expecting really, it should do a bit more on a long motorway run but don't get to do those very often :drive
Anybody else getting much more/less from their 2.2 z3?
Regards
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: First fill up

Post by wonderloaf »

Wish I was getting 33.3 mpg from my 2.2, I get around 30mpg and it doesn't seem to matter how I drive it or what I put in it, it seems to stay around that figure.
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

wonderloaf wrote:Wish I was getting 33.3 mpg from my 2.2, I get around 30mpg and it doesn't seem to matter how I drive it or what I put in it, it seems to stay around that figure.
What length of journey do you usually use it for, if very short ones the economy will suffer. Also do you use super unleaded petrol as this is reckoned to improve the engines efficiency?
Regards
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

I get 31.5 mpg on average in my 2.8 ...and give it the beans now and again....using cheapo unleaded..... :)
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

My '98 2.8 (according to the obc) averaged approx 24-25mpg on normal unleaded and has risen to 28 on super unleaded, which more or less offsets the extra 15 cents per litre!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Mines a 2.8 and I get around 250 miles to a tank, 31-32mpg using shell v-power. I think any 6 cylinder car returning that sort of mpg is pretty darn good. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Davejue1 wrote:Mines a 2.8 and I get around 250 miles to a tank, 31-32mpg using shell v-power. I think any 6 cylinder car returning that sort of mpg is pretty darn good. :)
Are you sure about that? 250 miles on a 51 litre tank is 22.3mpg. Assuming you aren't actually filling a completely empty tank it's about 24mpg in reality. My 2.8 gets around the same on v-power but that's 90% motorway at 80mph generally. I can get 300 from a tank on all motorway driving at 60mph but motorway driving at 60mph makes me want to kill myself so I just take the hit in the extra fuel consumption.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Smartbear wrote:
wonderloaf wrote:Wish I was getting 33.3 mpg from my 2.2, I get around 30mpg and it doesn't seem to matter how I drive it or what I put in it, it seems to stay around that figure.
What length of journey do you usually use it for, if very short ones the economy will suffer. Also do you use super unleaded petrol as this is reckoned to improve the engines efficiency?
Regards
I do a daily round trip of about 50 miles along A, B and M roads, and use Shell V-Power unleaded, although it doesn't really make much difference whether I use normal or super unleaded. Even when I do a longer journey mpg doesn't change significantly .... oh well, didn't buy the car for economy :twisted:
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

XVar wrote:
Davejue1 wrote:Mines a 2.8 and I get around 250 miles to a tank, 31-32mpg using shell v-power. I think any 6 cylinder car returning that sort of mpg is pretty darn good. :)
Are you sure about that? 250 miles on a 51 litre tank is 22.3mpg. Assuming you aren't actually filling a completely empty tank it's about 24mpg in reality. My 2.8 gets around the same on v-power but that's 90% motorway at 80mph generally. I can get 300 from a tank on all motorway driving at 60mph but motorway driving at 60mph makes me want to kill myself so I just take the hit in the extra fuel consumption.

I get fairly consistently 300 to a tank in my 2.8
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

No idea what mpg I get from my humble little 2.0.

I just fill it up when it needs it.

Admittedly for the past couple of months rather than seeking out the cheapest bog-standard supermarket stuff, I've always used Tesco Momentum or V Power.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Here is a spread sheet for my 2.2 You will have to do the conversion calculations yourself :). I have kept records almost since I have had Brandy.

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I always put £30 in mine when I top it up, .....I have found that it doesnt matter whether its cheap fuel or V Power, it always costs me the same.
Seen this with price increases too, dont seem to have any effect.

I have noticed though, that 'miles' appear to be getting longer these days... wonder if that's why road tax goes up :puzzle:

:wink:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

gookah wrote:I always put £30 in mine when I top it up, .....I have found that it doesnt matter whether its cheap fuel or V Power, it always costs me the same.
Seen this with price increases too, dont seem to have any effect. I have noticed though, that 'miles' appear to be getting longer these days... wonder if that's why road tax goes up :puzzle: :wink:
LOL. Are you drunk? :o
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My 2002 3.0 seems to do about 26-28mpg around town. On the motorway l get over 30mpg.

My 1997 2.8 did a little more, averaging nearer 30mpg around town.
The onboard computer in my 3.0 claims the car is achieving 35-38mpg around town, which is just filthy lies.
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

I've had over 40mpg from my 3litre si z4 really taking it easy, this was over almost 170 miles on a recent road trip and it's accurate to within 1mpg when I calculate it myself :)
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

You must all be driving slowly :)
MPG varies hugely on my 2001 3.0l
cruise on the motorway and it is c. or just + 30
but country driving locally tends to be 24-27
and enjoying the car is generally nearer to 22
and I have had as low as 14 ;)

Alasdair
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

my M44 used to get around 30-35 (depending on urban / extra urban etc) but since my exhaust has started disintegrating i'm getting around 25mpg. :(
not to worry though i have a new SS exhaust going on this week so that should sort it out :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The OBC can be calibrated to make it more accurate - there's a thread on it somewhere. The best way is still to measure what you put in to brim it against how far you have driven since the last fill up.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Gordon Bennett :head: you bunch of big jessies

I'm beginning to think you all bought Zeds because you thought you were saving the planet! Just drive and enjoy the bl@@dy things.

All this talk about the odd percentage point gained on MPG, gggrrrr

It's so easy - drive it with a grin on your face, when your fuel gauge falls below 1/4 full, fill it up and the cycle starts again.

The first one of you who asks about converting your Zed to LPG to eke out a bit more MPG I will personally shoot!

So there. :)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Any idea how much a gas conversion would be? I'm concerned about the damage my Zed is doing to the planet! :D

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Right that does it.

I'm on my way oop north :)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

TR4man wrote:Right that does it.

Lol! Seya soon! :)

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I'm actually considering a Perkins diesel conversion on my 2.8 to try and get a wee bit more mpg!!!
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

I've had a couple of smartcars in the past, 698cc! ( but I don't like to talk about them)
Here it is along with its replacement :shock:
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

The lotus was quite difficult to work on-
But I soon got the hang of changing the radio stations with little fuss-

Regards
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Davejue1 wrote:

I was just about to leave then I thought it would be prudent to calculate my projected MPG. If I use the "fill it to the brim" method I'll get 31.7 mpg. If I were to go by my sat-nav I'd only get 29.8 mpg. However, by car's on board computer tells me that my average mpg will be 30.6 mpg :shrug

This difference in mpg will cost me 3p on this journey and have a negative effect on my claim to be neutral carbon efficient.

To minimise my loss Dave could you meet me halfway for your shooting. Perhaps at Birch services on the M62?

Oh no, hold on. They don't sell V Power there do they. The difference in me using V Power to normal super unleaded could mean a further loss of 2p.

What a quandary :?

I'll go for a quick blast along the A51 whilst I think about it....
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

Surely you should cycle over there to sort him out - isn't that the career known as being a dispatch rider?!

Alasdair
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

TR4man wrote:
Davejue1 wrote:

I was just about to leave then I thought it would be prudent to calculate my projected MPG. If I use the "fill it to the brim" method I'll get 31.7 mpg. If I were to go by my sat-nav I'd only get 29.8 mpg. However, by car's on board computer tells me that my average mpg will be 30.6 mpg :shrug

This difference in mpg will cost me 3p on this journey and have a negative effect on my claim to be neutral carbon efficient.

To minimise my loss Dave could you meet me halfway for your shooting. Perhaps at Birch services on the M62?

Oh no, hold on. They don't sell V Power there do they. The difference in me using V Power to normal super unleaded could mean a further loss of 2p.

What a quandary :?

I'll go for a quick blast along the A51 whilst I think about it....
Make sure you fuel up before you leave, it's a long long way up here, I reckon if you cruise at 60 you'll achieve an average mpg of around 30! :lol:

Zed-dan

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zed-dan »

I recently drove my '00 3.0 from Hemel Hempstead home via Watford (approx. 225 miles) and used less than 3/4 of a tank so both inner city traffic and long motorway monotony and I think that is phenomenal for a six pot 3litre...
Not all those who wander are lost...

'00 3.0i /Custom painted Side Gills/Style 78's
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Davejue1 wrote:Any idea how much a gas conversion would be? I'm concerned about the damage my Zed is doing to the planet! :D
Lot less damage than that lorry of yours, anyway fuel consumption should be better now your shedding weight :lol:
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
APenn

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by APenn »

Driving my 2.8 around the roads in Mid wales especially were I live in Elan Valley, I get 27-28mpg.
I do travel to Manchester at least once a month and get 31.6 according to the on board computer.
Don't reallly worry about mpg, I just enjoy the drive.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

To be fair I suppose this topic has different requirements to different people depending on their needs and interests. I suppose if its your main mode of transport and probably more mileage, you are going to be more keen on the MPG. There will be those also that are very enthusiastic and genuinely interested in what's its doing, facts and figures (I know of one such gentleman....isn't that right RD! :D). Then there are people (myself included) fortunate to have it as a second car (big boys toy) a lot less yearly mileage, top down driving listening to life above 4000rpm.........and within reason couldn't give a t**s about the odd mile or two less. Clearly a sudden drastic reduction in MPG would raise the eyebrows for investigation :rtm:

PS. Do I really worry about my green credentials? :shock: .........yes (I do my bit)....but, when I'm driving my Z.......no! :D
Last edited by Koolflyer on Thu 02 Oct, 2014 08:34, edited 2 times in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

Koolflyer wrote:PS. Do I really worry about my green credentials :shock: .........yes, (I do my bit) but when I'm driving myZ.......no! :D
There are far more green credentials in driving an older car v. a newer one than a few figures different in MPG :)
The environmental impact of manufacture and disposal are two of the biggest 'green issues' with a car...
Also smaller and older cars tend to be more basic / have less plastics = greener...

so lets enjoy being green!

Alasdair
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Ah ha! Just off to get my bowl of museli........I feel good! :D
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
varptr

blank

Post by varptr »

Hi,

Just bought a 2001 3.0 and love it! Seeing as this thread is fuel-related could someone advise me as to what I should use. Inside the fuel flap it says 91-98, I think "standard" unleaded is 95 and "premium" is 97. Is "standard" OK with these engines? I'm looking for fun rather than top performance.
For my first fill I used 97 as I wasn't sure.

Thanks

Alasdair
Kondor

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Kondor »

For the first three months I filled up our 2000 2.8 with Shell V-Power, after reading the forums. Due to not being able to find a Shell garage, and being a bit desperate, I chucked in some standard supermarket stuff. I didn't notice any drop off in performance or increased consumption (in fact consumption was slightly better!).

Sp basically, whatever makes you feel good! If it's pennies that matter, bog standard 95ron should be fine, if you feel like treating your lady, pay for the 97 or 98ron. :)
varptr

blank

Post by varptr »

That's good, thanks. Just what I was hoping for!
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

I definitely notice a difference to the car if filled with standard - vPower Shell (local 2 garages are Shell)
reuptedly you also get better MPG but I think that is countered by sticking the car in sport and hammering it :)

As I understand it the engine / system changes to map against the RON value so you do get a better performing engine on higher RON - but I am open to being corrected by others...

Alasdair
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Oh TR4man, your favourite thread is back!! :D

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

How much more talk about eeking out the last % MPG can a man take! :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head: :head:

:)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Now calm yourself down a bit!!! :D

akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

TR4man wrote:How much more talk about eeking out the last % MPG can a man take! :)
well....
the internet hasn't run out of space yet, so plenty more I suspect!!! :D

mind you as my car seems to be running at 19.2mpg at the moment I am probably not one to join that conversation!

Alasdair
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Dont mention the war...
I mean MPG.
M
Ps .did I mention mine achieved 37 on a run to dover.
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

maurice the martian wrote:Dont mention the war...
I mean MPG.Image Image Image
M
Isn't it down hill on the way there, what about on the way back? :nerd:
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

M
Can you not behave for 5 minutes! :D

maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

NO, NO, NO,.lol
M

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

M
Was that an AA or RAC flatbed?

Alasdair

:D