Z3 cobra kit

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 cobra kit

Post by blueface »

Just posting some pics of my z3 body conversion as some have expressed an interest in it previously. Obviously not to everyone's tastes but if you're genuinely interested and have questions please ask away.

Still jobs to do as I havent even got the inner boot panel fitted yet or inner wheel arches. Have to sand and compound the paintwork. Also have lowering springs to fit though will likely just do the front.

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Z3 cobra kit

Post by Davejue1 »

I love that colour! Seriously nice! :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

Just a couple of pics to show the basics of the conversion. Panels mainly come off with a socket set and the new panels bolt to the same places.

blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

Davejue1 wrote:I love that colour! Seriously nice! :)
Thanks Dave, it's Plymouth Prowler Orange. Took me a while to decide on colour but decided to steer away from any familiar cobra styles.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I like it much better than Bertini kit. Real cobra is much smaller, right?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Wow look at all those kids' bikes!

How many kids do you have? Five?
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

lightning wrote:Wow look at all those kids' bikes!

How many kids do you have? Five?
Lol. No my parents live out the back of my house and my mother babysits children! I've 2 kids at secondary school.
deni2s wrote:I like it much better than Bertini kit. Real cobra is much smaller, right?
Not sure Deni. Haven't had it beside a 'proper' cobra kit yet. Just liked the curves of it and the dimensions worked in my eye so I went for it! 8 weeks from start to finish including painting it myself which was a bit of a nightmare.
Last edited by blueface on Sun 14 Sep, 2014 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

love to see it with side pipes,
bet there is no way to get the exhaust through though..

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

blueface wrote:

Sidepipes definately work, plus I think you could lose the front spoiler and it will look spot on with the front lowered.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

gookah wrote:love to see it with side pipes,
bet there is no way to get the exhaust through though..
Love that pic!

Suppose anything is possible with enough effort. I was just keeping it as straightforward as possible and my wife will be taking it to work most days so didn't want to do anything too radical in the transformation.

One slight oddity since getting it back on the road is that the temperature is minus 40 outside according to the car!?!
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

blueface wrote:One slight oddity since getting it back on the road is that the temperature is minus 40 outside according to the car!?!
Outside temp sensor got disconnected or is faulty.
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

deni2s wrote:
blueface wrote:One slight oddity since getting it back on the road is that the temperature is minus 40 outside according to the car!?!
Outside temp sensor got disconnected or is faulty.
Got disconnected alright. I'd cut it off by accident when tidying up the old lighting wires! All reattached and working properly again now.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... yes, I reckon at -40, it should go on the "Cool wall".... in the sub-zero position.... very cool!!! Well done, it looks a professional job... :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Dude, just seen this thread, didn't realise you were so local mate.

Must get a closer look around it, looked well yesterday. Should have had the roof down though, I've it down at every opportunity. Get some funny looks but life's too short to worry what everyone else thinks.

Cheers.
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

Funny you should say that as I had the hood down today :)

More than happy to give you a look a it anytime. I live just outside Moneymore so it shouldn't be too hard to get together! Still got jobs to do to it though so you'll have to excuse that. I'm away next week but the week after we could meet in town as I finish work at 4 most days.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

wow I have been in the car body repair business for over 30 years now and have always had a love of cobras .that is impressive 8-) tho I do agree lose the front spoiler and lower the front a tad and maybe blend the rear arches . your a talented man
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

I'm away all next week too, bloody work.

Will hook up sometime after that surely, love seeing these things in progress so don't apologise for it being unfinished.

Well done.
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

beerbelly wrote:wow I have been in the car body repair business for over 30 years now and have always had a love of cobras .that is impressive 8-) tho I do agree lose the front spoiler and lower the front a tad and maybe blend the rear arches . your a talented man
Thanks for the kind words but the kit was developed by tribute automotive. All I had to do was strip the panels and put on the new ones (plus spend weeks filling sanding blending and smoothing!!) If you search for z3 cobra there's a long thread showing the development of it.

They decided to put a front spolier on it as they couldn't get the front low enough without some serious z3 modifications. Since those pics above I've fitting 30mm lowering springs to balance the front and rear better. Must get some fresh pics taken!

Baz, give me a shout when you're back home and we'll hook up. 8-)
blueface

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by blueface »

Do a bit of photography in my spare time so here's some shots from an industrial style shoot using the Z3/cobra thingy mishmash :)

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Is there a car in those first few pictures? :)
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Nice

Bet she looks even better with the top off and she could deffo leave her shoes on :head:

I am obviously referring to the soft top and hand brake shoes :oops:
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white