Nearside rear brake pipe excessively corroded :-0

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Nearside rear brake pipe excessively corroded :-0

Post by daveofedinburgh »

As above, its the only thing that failed my Z at its MOT this week.

How much should I be looking to pay a garage for part/ labour?

David.
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Nearside rear brake pipe excessively corroded :-0

Post by Del »

The cost of sort of job is mostly labour. Brake fluid is likely to be below £10 as is the cost of the new pipe and unions. As far as I am aware there are two sections of pipe to the rear, nearside wheel - 1) a short section going to the axle and 2) a long section feeding its way under the nearside of the car to the ABS pump in the engine bay. Many garages may insert an extra joint to replace the rear section only of the latter rather than renewing the whole length.
Most independents charge around £50 for a brake fluid change and an hours work for the pipe fabrication/fitting seems reasonable - say £60. So my guess is £130 + VAT.
frog farmer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by frog farmer »

Get it done before Friday as it may cost you double after then..... ;)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I had both my rear brake pipes replaced a few years back at my not-so-local BMW dealer (actually the dealer I bought the car from) and they did it for £200 all in. It was 4 hours work, but they didn't seem to charge me for the brake pipe itself (it comes on a drum and they cut it to length). You can see the new pipes going to the ABS pump. I got a slightly better labour rate as it was an older car and an old customer, but if you have a decent relationship with any garage, it needn't cost the earth.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Del wrote:So my guess is £130 + VAT.
Holy Moly.

I'm glad it only cost me £4.71 + VAT plus a little bit of brake fluid.

You don't need to do a full fluid change, and even if you do, 1 litre of DOT4 is £5, or £12 for DOT5.1.

£100+ for labour is taking the pi$$, but if you don't have the skills, tools or inclination to DIY, you'll just have to pay the man.

Top tip

Supply the part, it was £4.71 + VAT from BMW when I last bought one. They are made to length, but not bent to shape.

Noting Robert T's post. If you need the pipe to the ABS pump (which I don't think you do), let someone else do it for £200. If it is just the left rear, it should be <£50.
Pingu
daveofedinburgh

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by daveofedinburgh »

So am I to assume that the fella I asked for a quote today who drew air in through his teeth and said 'well, it's a bit of a mission if the (fuel) tank has to come out' is talking rubbish?

A quote was not forthcoming, he just wanted me to bring it down, presumably hoping to tell me the tank will need to come out and quote a ton of labour charges...

I have f*ck all mechanical knowledge, but it would seem poor design to me if the tank has to be removed just to replace a brake pipe.

Thoughts?
2000, 2.0 manual, topasblau, blue leather. Now for sale: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40699

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

daveofedinburgh wrote:So am I to assume that the fella I asked for a quote today who drew air in through his teeth and said 'well, it's a bit of a mission if the (fuel) tank has to come out' is talking rubbish?

A quote was not forthcoming, he just wanted me to bring it down, presumably hoping to tell me the tank will need to come out and quote a ton of labour charges...

I have f*ck all mechanical knowledge, but it would seem poor design to me if the tank has to be removed just to replace a brake pipe.

Thoughts?
some pipes do indeed go over the top of the fuel tank...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

I changed all mine without moving the tank not sure if pre and post facelift are different though? As said above the materials aren't expensive for this job just labour, unless you can unbolt and fit the pipe yourself along with bleeding the system?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

daveofedinburgh wrote:So am I to assume that the fella I asked for a quote today who drew air in through his teeth and said 'well, it's a bit of a mission if the (fuel) tank has to come out' is talking rubbish?
Not on my pre-facelift 1.9 - and I can't see others being that different :shrug . The brake pipes on mine are nowhere near the fuel tank. The fuel tank is towards the offside of the car and my brake pipes are clipped to the floor pan on the nearside. I've been over every inch of my rear brake pipes with rust killer followed by clear waxoyl.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

It cost me about 40 quid including labour as part of the MOT and service at my independent.