Boot lock cable snapped-lid now opens fully!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I was working in the boot today and must have pushed it open a bit too far - a loud bang followed by the boot opening to a full 90degree angle.
Looking at the bootlid open full I thought, finally the boot opens properly like it should!

I thought that maybe there was something blocking my boot hinges all along and I dislodged it.

On further inspection all was ok on the hinges so I tested the boot lock and realized the cable in there has snapped/dislodged.
So I have made sure not to let the boot shut fully until I can strip out the lock and investigate further.
The only info I have found on the net so far says that once a Z boot lock fails there is no way to open it so making sure it doesn't close fully!

I'll report back once I've stripped it out but was wondering how far does everyone else's boot lids open. I like the new 90degree angle it's opening at now and would like to keep it that way...
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Boot lock cable snapped-lid now opens fully!

Post by Robert T »

As a precaution against accidentally closing the boot, you could remove the part of the boot lock on the body of the car, however I think you are meaning that you have snapped the electrical cable inside the boot lid, probably by snagging it in the hinges. If this is the case, then the mechanical side of the lock may well be sound and you will be able to operate it with the key. Test this by locking the boot lid to a screwdriver or if that won't go, bend a piece of metal to resemble the catch and test locking it with the lid open. You also need to check the function of your third brake light, though be careful that you haven't created any short circuits inside the boot lid.

Regarding the opening of the boot lid, if memory serves mine opens beyond 90 degrees to perhaps 100 or 110 degrees so that the boot lid faces the rear window. I'd have to check though to give you the right angle.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Good tip, yes I think it's the cable that's snapped (and was snagging before hence not opening fully).
I've blocked the locking mechanism with a cloth in the meantime until I can have a proper look tomorrow.
It's great having a fully opening boot lid, might wire it up to act as an air brake with this impressive angle it's got now!

I'm certain it's been like this since I got the car 3yrs ago, I just learned to be careful not crack my head open on the edge of the lid!
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

I found my bootlid won't open fully unless I push it open slowly helping the struts. My guess is the struts are shot, being in the closed position for 13 years probably caused this but I see you can buy a brand new pair of struts off Ebay for about £25. I must do that and try the new ones since I broke one recently when I become inpatient with them.

I don't understand how the mechanism cable would stop you from opening the tailgate fully, are you sure both the connections on the gas struts are intact?
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

So I managed to have a good look today. The cables are all intact and boot lock works fine.
I found the something that was rattling around in the boot lock area and after maneuvering the boot with the brake light inside cover off this little grommet fell out - it seems that it was somewhere blocking the opening somehow (it has a ridge mark from being squashed).
So not a cable or connector rod as I thought.

Boot opens fine now but as mentioned needs help to get fully open as struts probably tired (or just by design?).
One of the strut lower 'ball joint' mounting point is cracked so has some play but still attached and functions fine...
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

You should consider rainy days when opened boot lid covers the boot from most of the rain.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

deni2s wrote:You should consider rainy days when opened boot lid covers the boot from most of the rain.
Yes, maybe the grommet was stuck in there as part of the 'UK rain pack' including partial opening lid to keep boot dry on those rainy days!!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Boot lid angle above is actually about right. It is just past 90 degrees. This is mine.
Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Sailorbaz wrote:I found my bootlid won't open fully unless I push it open slowly helping the struts. My guess is the struts are shot, being in the closed position for 13 years probably caused this but I see you can buy a brand new pair of struts off Ebay for about £25. I must do that and try the new ones since I broke one recently when I become inpatient with them.

I don't understand how the mechanism cable would stop you from opening the tailgate fully, are you sure both the connections on the gas struts are intact?
Got my 'Magneti Mareli' eBay struts fitted today after purchasing them about a week ago. Excellent service from the seller, perfect fit and now opens the boot fully to the stops and quickly. No connection to the seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121295389840? ... 26_rdc%3D1