Z3 & E36 Compact HSD coilovers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 & E36 Compact HSD coilovers

Post by Keynun »

Hi guys

Is the Z3 pretty much the same as the e36 compact suspension wise?

I'm trying to find out if a set of e36 compact coilovers will fit my z3, as they seem cheap for the spec.

Coilovers in question:
http://www.driftworks.com/hsd-coilovers ... m3-m5.html

(£585 for dualtechs with adjustable dampening, £800 for mono track spec)

Does anyone think I should take the risk? I have fitted cheap ebay compact coilovers before and they fitted fine (they were **** though, hence why i'm spending 3 times the amount this time around).
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 & E36 Compact HSD coilovers

Post by BladeRunner919 »

A mix of e36-ish and e36 compact-ish (which is e30-ish). I think buying a kit for another car and hoping it will fit is only likely to end one way. Why not buy some Z3 suspension? Or at least ask the sellers, so the responsibility for advise is theirs.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

For standard after-market, independent shocks and coils, the part numbers (Sachs) are completely different for say the 1.9 Z3 and 1.9 Compact of the same year/era. The Z3 coil springs are actually significantly more expensive. I suspect the stiffness and ride height design is different to cope with both different types of car and different weight cars. I would guess at a similar situation for coil-overs.
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

From all the info I have gathered online, the Z3 rear end has pretty much the same mounting points/shock lengths/spring lengths as the e36 compact Ti, thus everything should fit in theory. The front is basically an e36. Alot of compact owners seem to take parts from the Z3 / Z3 ///M.

Spring rate wise, most coil overs use 7-8kg/mm on the front and 10kg/mm on the rear for the e36s & z3. I can understand why oem would be different, but coilovers shouldn't cause too much of an issue as long as the spring rates are fine.

I'll update this if I take the chance and fit them.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I have always been under the impression that the Z3 used an E36 compact floor pan and suspension, which in itself was a shortened E36 platform apart from the E30 rear suspension which had to be used because the E36 rear suspension wouldn't fit because it would take up too much space in the already small compact boot/hatchback space!
Keynun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Keynun »

***update***

I ended up fitting these HSD coilovers over the weekend. I can confirm that they fit with no issues.

You will probably need spacers, and you will spend many hours adjusting the height/dampening.

The only bad thing is the rear springs, they are low enough for me with the adjusters fully wound in, however you may want to lower further so you will have to run them without the adjusters.

I can report that the feel and ride comfort is miles better than any cheap coilover kit, and that the adjustable camber mounts with increased caster really help the handling. You will need an alignment after installation. £600, try finding another brand for that money which can compete!!!
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

I use them on my 318Ti track car and think they are excellent. Often wondered whether they would be good on my M. Might have to give it a go!
linas888

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by linas888 »

Keynun wrote:***update***

I ended up fitting these HSD coilovers over the weekend. I can confirm that they fit with no issues.

You will probably need spacers, and you will spend many hours adjusting the height/dampening.

The only bad thing is the rear springs, they are low enough for me with the adjusters fully wound in, however you may want to lower further so you will have to run them without the adjusters.

I can report that the feel and ride comfort is miles better than any cheap coilover kit, and that the adjustable camber mounts with increased caster really help the handling. You will need an alignment after installation. £600, try finding another brand for that money which can compete!!!
Hi,
I'm looking to get coilovers for my z3 3.0l. I noticed you have HSD for probably 2 years now? I would appreciate if you could share you experience over the time. Is it DualTech or MonoPro you have?
Many thanks.