Battery advice

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Battery advice

Post by freds dad »

Hi I'm hoping to pick the brains of everyone on here regarding a battery problem I'm having.

The Zed hasn't been out much this summer due to heavy workload but about a month ago I had a free weekend so decided to take her for a run out. The problem then arose that she wouldn't start. She fired up but then died. After about 25 mins of being connected to my CRV and me revving he CRV quite heavily the Zed started and off I went.
No problems for the rest of the day and the next day and I thought I'd cured the problem, how stupid of me.

Three weeks later and the Zed not being run I had more free time and wanted to take her out but the same problem occurred. A 20 minute jump start and away she went.

So is the battery broke and do I need to replace and if so which can you recommend and where is the best price or is there a fix and can I save a few quid.

Thanks in advance.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Battery advice

Post by gookah »

unfortunately batteries die when they are standing for long periods unused or not being trickle charged.
Looks like yours is beyond help now.
Halfords do Bosch ones which come with a five year warranty and are good units for very reasonable prices.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Kiboko

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Kiboko »

I had the same problem with my battery after taking the car out of winter storage this spring. So had to cough up and get myself a new battery, but it wasn't as expensive as I thought it might be. I looked around on the internet, and settled on a battery from ATS Euromaster as they're just down the road from me and their prices appeared competitive. I liked the way their website allowed me to put in details of my car and then gave me a number of differently priced choices. I also chose my fitting station and my appointment for fitting. The battery I opted for was a Platinum Prestige, (Model No. 096E, 72 Ah, 670 Amp), £88.99, but when I went to the garage they apologised and said they only had the more expensive model, a Platinum Prestige Plus, Model No. 096SP, 12V, 75Ah, 720 Amp. which they said they'd fit for no extra cost as I'd already bought and paid for it so it was their fault. This came with a 5yr. guarantee. It made a big difference to the car, not only did it start on the button, I swear there's more power being delivered, - so much so I looked the subject up on the internet and while most opinions were that the power of the battery makes no difference when the engines running and the car's being driven, there were a few articles that suggested it does, as the spark will be stronger. I would go along with that personally, after driving the car on the old battery for a few weeks, I could tell the difference before & after!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Try one of these - I bought one. Good brand and so powerful it almost spins the car around :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-Excell- ... 51b27c9361
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Del wrote:Try one of these - I bought one. Good brand and so powerful it almost spins the car around :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exide-Excell- ... 51b27c9361
Thanks.
I've just clicked on the link and checked compatibility and it says not compatible for my car
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Strange about the compatibility list - I've had that one in my car since February 2014. Size/power = 096, correct terminals. That ebay application list (wasn't there when I bought mine) seems to contain mainly Fords for some reason? When I first had my car it had a Halfords 075 in it which was smaller, had less power and died in February 2014.

The other major UK car part firm GSF simply recommends a 096 battery for my car (1998 1.9).
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Unfortunately as well as a battery you should budget for a trickle charger otherwise with the limited use that your car appears to get you will be replacing batteries regularly. Modern car batteries do not seem to tolerate the deep discharge that they get with the alarm system draining them continuously without a recharge.
I have an Optimate but there are many similar chargers around that can be left connected to the car all of the time it is standing and my Z only travelled 850 miles last year with a 7 year old battery on board without a problem starting.
The bonus is on the rare occasion when the sun shines and you cannot resist a blast simply unplug the charging connector and the engine will start straight away without the use of jump leads and second vehicles.
Chris
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Neglect, and the associated sulphation, kills more batteries than anything else. I am always amused to see people spend £100 on a pot of fancy wax, but baulk at £40 for an automatic battery charger - then they seem amazed when the battery dies after 2 or 3 years! They would not dream of not changing the engine oil, or ignoring other basic maintenance tasks - yet ignoring battery seems acceptable to many people.

Remember that the usual 30 mA drain (through the alternator diodes, radio memory etc) amounts to a weekly drain of 5 ampere-hours. Remember also that effective capacity depends on temperature - a lead-acid battery at 0 degrees C will only have half of whatever capacity it had at 20 degrees C - so it does not take long for even a fully-charged battery to be flattened if left to stagnate during winter.

As a battery ages its terminal voltage usually falls, so it draws a higher charging current which does not reduce - this means a higher load on the alternator, so lowering the alternator voltage. This in turn reduces the power of the lights, so if in doubt buy a new battery about now, and look after it!

In the thread on HID lights there is a link telling the tale of someone who, disgusted by his yellowish lights, fitted some Chinese HID units. All was well in the lighting department, but he began to experience various electronic failures - including that power steering - which was eventually traced to his HID ballasts (Inverters) which were generating loads of high frequency interference affecting his car, and those of anyone else within range. He dumped the HID units, and reverted to his useless lights, and soon had starting problems, which were cured by a new battery . . . this also cured his yellow lights - due to the problems outlines above!

I have always plugged in a constant voltage charger (Gunsons 'automatic') whenever the Red Zed is at home, the original battery being replaced as a preventative measure after twelve years. The present battery, a Varta 'Silver' type, uses superior technology which should outlast that.

A kind idea for cars which stand still for ages is to remove the fuel pump fuses and crank the engine over in short bursts to get oil pressure up before starting, as the oil gallery between the filter inlet and the oil pump slowly drains away, leaving a 'lump' of air in the oil system.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

Is it my imagination or are car batteries different these days. They used to gradually get weaker until they had to be replaced but now they seem to die in just a day or two. I bought a Bosch identical to the original in my V reg 2,0 recently online for under £60 and got £8 back from our local scrap metal dealer for the old one. Well pleased.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - modern low - or zero - maintenance batteries die very suddenly, due to their use of calcium rather than antimony to alloy the lead with. This gives a different chemical reaction on charge, producing less gas, but it is easily damaged by both old age and deep discharges. This is why deep discharge damage is specifically excluded from the warranty.

Abut the only exception to this are Hawker batteries, made in the USA. These use tin to coat the positive plates, and are able to withstand up to 100 or so deep discharges, and to remain stagnant for over ayear without any loss of charge or capacity - just the thing for 'enthusiast; cars!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

As I did last year, when I put the car to bed at the end of this month, I'll give it a good run, pull it under the car port, give it a good clean, disconnect the battery and put the dust cover on. When It comes to spring, remove the dust cover, reconnect the battery and start the car. It worked last year so I shall take the same approach again this winter. Fingers crossed! :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Davejue1 wrote:As I did last year, when I put the car to bed at the end of this month, I'll give it a good run, pull it under the car port, give it a good clean, disconnect the battery and put the dust cover on. When It comes to spring, remove the dust cover, reconnect the battery and start the car. It worked last year so I shall take the same approach again this winter. Fingers crossed! :)

Hi Dave

I would still give the battery a charge every few weeks just to keep on top of it.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Still on my original 2001 battery which is kept on a CTEK charger for 6 months of the year the Zed is laid up, always starts first time. Problem with leaving it for extended periods without being hooked up to a conditioner it will discharge too much and cause damage so it will suddenly fail.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Brian4 wrote:
Davejue1 wrote:As I did last year, when I put the car to bed at the end of this month, I'll give it a good run, pull it under the car port, give it a good clean, disconnect the battery and put the dust cover on. When It comes to spring, remove the dust cover, reconnect the battery and start the car. It worked last year so I shall take the same approach again this winter. Fingers crossed! :)

Hi Dave

I would still give the battery a charge every few weeks just to keep on top of it.
Thanks Brian I'll do that. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"