Spray or Wrap

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Spray or Wrap

Post by z3nomness »

I'm thinking of getting the Z3 either fully resprayed or wrapped.
Probably keep it black, although I wonder what gunmetal grey would look like..

has anyone every resprayed or wrapped their car?

What sort of costs are involved in theses processes for Z3's??

B
beerbelly

blank

Re: Spray or Wrap

Post by beerbelly »

should be able to get it wrapped for £1k respray depends on the condition of your existing paintwork but budget about £2k and you wont be far off
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I had a full strip Down (lights, bumpers glass removed) respray last winter and paid £1800. I know pingu had his M done at bmw and paid a simular amount but he stripped it himself. I'm sure he'll be along to correct me if I'm wrong on price. I would have taken that option if I'd have known, although I'm happy with mine in the main pingu's finish is definately better. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

There is nothing woderful about a BMW (dealer) respray - it will be as good as the person who does it.

I had my bonnet sprayed by the BMW dealer in Plymouth, and found a problem with alignment. About four years later I realised that they had fitted the struts to the 'Service' position, and in exertain excessive force when trying to close the bonnet they distorted both sides at the rear, which stand out by about the thickness of the bonnet edges - 2 mm of so.

Whoever does the job, put labels over these, marked 'Do Not Use - service position only.' Of course - that assumes they can read . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Pingu recently had his resprayed - PM him
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by z3nomness »

Many thanks for the replies.

There are some stone chips in the bonnet which need attention but apart from that its just light scratches.
I think if i can get the bonnet re sprayed and perhaps a full paint correction detail on the rest of the car it may be OK.

A very nice chap I spoke with in Stevenage suggested that I should wrap the bonnet and mirrors in a carbon effect wrap and machine polish the rest, ummmm... :)
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

My M has been wrapped in Pearlescent white. It’s been on for nearly four years now and still looks beautiful.

Look out for two types of wrapping material 3M and Hexis. ones easier to apply but the other gives you a better finish.

z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by z3nomness »

WOW that looks super!

What was the paint like before you had it wrapped?

Ive been told that stone chips may show up through a wrap?
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

She was Silver before.

Thats correct, wrapping wont hide any paint defects, even stone chips will show up.

I recently had the front bumper re wrapped becuase of all the stone marks and the paint underneith has been protected well.

Lee
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

I do love your car Lee!
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Having just forked out to have the front of my car sprayed, I quite like the idea of having the front bumper wrapped to protect the paint from stonechips.

I wonder if anyone would do such a small job and would it be visible compared to the unwrapped bodywork?
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Joycey wrote:My M has been wrapped in Pearlescent white. It’s been on for nearly four years now and still looks beautiful.

Look out for two types of wrapping material 3M and Hexis. ones easier to apply but the other gives you a better finish.

Can I ask how many miles it's done in those 4 years and if it used in all weathers too?
Just curious as to how well the wrap holds up to use.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Found some pics of what looks like chrome estoril blue wraps...would look awesome on the curves of a z I reckon:
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

This matte blue is also nice:
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

There are some guys that do wrapping mobile over your neck of the woods dino.

Same guys that did the cars for Top Gear.

Lee
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I need a front end spray and sills and am toying with the idea of a wrap but love the Montreal blue shade of my car..
If I had it my way I'd fully respray in original colour and wrap for a colour change just for fun!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

You get what you pay for in both paint and wrap, and I agree with Mike Fishwick. The most important factor is the skill of the man doing the job.

Some wraps look good from the other side of the road, but up close look awful around the edges.

I had mine resprayed by Sytner in Sheffield. It was £1500+VAT plus some bits, which made the total £1950. Colin (contact details below) said I was to go over the car with a fine toothcomb - and I did. I found 48 faults on the job plus 10 marks that I had put on the car in the first week, but only 3 were things that I couldn't sort myself and justified it going back. Surprisingly, they did all 58. The price I was quoted was based on leaving the car there for upto six months. It took two months for the first respray and another month to get the "faults" sorted.

When I went over the car for the second time, I could only find three faults - earth strap not refitted to the bonnet, some thin paint UNDER the M gill (not visible with the gill fitted) and some overspray on one of the INSIDE of one of the door handles. Where I found the "faults" gives you an idea of how critical I was.

I would highly recommend them and will use them again when the time comes.

Colin James
Bodyshop Advisor
BMW Sytner Sheffield
Tel No. 01142 755077

HTHs
Pingu