Loss of power

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
waynerp

Z3 roadster 2.8

Loss of power

Post by waynerp »

Hi all. In a bit of a panic ATM. My battery died on Thursday which in itself is odd as I took it for a long run on Wednesday. I charged the battery and took it out today with no problems. When I drove off on the way back the traction light was on and there was no power and the car would only rev to about 3000 rpm. Fortunately I was only a mile or so from home, but 20 mph was all it would do. Any ideas what the hell this is apart from a big bill!!
waynerp
Web Design & Optimisation http://www.neden.uk

Z3 2.8
beerbelly

blank

Re: Loss of power

Post by beerbelly »

sounds like its gone into limp mode you will need to get the codes read
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I agree with beerbelly, always best to start with reading any error codes stored in the ECU. :(
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I would guess at the wheel sensors. A few years ago mine did the same thing regularly until I started to clean them once a year. Now, no trouble at all. Just on Allen bolt in each one, but hard to do the first time because they will be rusted in and the bolt can sheer off. So soak in lots of releasing oil first (wd40 is NOT releasing oil) and wait at least overnight. Once the bolt is out it is also a pain to remove the sensor from the hole. But once the job is done once, it's then a ten minute job for each wheel the next time. Note that it someone takes a couple of journeys to reset from the idle mode. It might do that anyway even if you don't clean them.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Could also be throttle position sensor. I had loss of power and TC light coming on in my 1.9 and it was a faulty throttle position sensor. Very easy to see in diagnostics.