Power hoods.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Power hoods.

Post by Rafolian »

Did any early Z3M's come with manual hoods?
There is a lovely black one on flea bay UK here in Spain, S50 with 37k miles only for sale.
Some one asked if it had an electric hood and was told no, manual.
I would have thought all top of the range Z3M's would have had electric hoods as standard?
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Power hoods.

Post by Davejue1 »

I would think it's probably got a fault so is being sold as a manual hood. All the 2.8's had power hood so guess the M would. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Agree with Dave should have power hood and should be easy enough to cure but a bargaining point.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Davejue1 wrote:I would think it's probably got a fault so is being sold as a manual hood. All the 2.8's had power hood so guess the M would. :)
On the early 2.8's the power hood was a extra option
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Your never done learning! :rtm:

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

It was an option on mine, original owner must have been tight, but glad it doesn't as less to go wrong :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

My 2.8 has it but no heated seats or a/c. Why would someone want to pay for an electric roof that takes a split second to put up manually and not have any toys inside? Nowt stranger than folk! :?:

Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Davejue1 wrote:My 2.8 has it but no heated seats or a/c. Why would someone want to pay for an electric roof that takes a split second to put up manually and not have any toys inside? Nowt stranger than folk! :?:
Arrrggg, mine too Dave, I loved heated seats as well, I tried to ensure the Z3 that I bought would have them, then I heard the quad exhaust, luckily for me it had a steering wheel :) .
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Luckily for me my '98 2.8 has all the toys and the leccy hood! (And still working perfectly after 16 years!!)
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Rafolian wrote:Luckily for me my '98 2.8 has all the toys and the leccy hood! (And still working perfectly after 16 years!!)
Rafalian, you are the reason I don't have heated seats I believe ! I bought my Z from a forum member who purchased the quad exhaust from you I'm sure.

I'll be round at the weekend for a heat from your fire. :oops:
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Lexybhoy, your more than welcome to pop over for a wee heat! Tho' it's cold enough here at the mo, down to 16 in the day an a founderin' 8 at night!
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Rafolian wrote:Lexybhoy, your more than welcome to pop over for a wee heat! Tho' it's cold enough here at the mo, down to 16 in the day an a founderin' 8 at night!
16 was our summer !

Am I right though, you did sell the quad exhaust to said member yes ?
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Yeh, that was the one. I messaged him on fleabay to confirm. That exhaust was a real bargain, which I advertised on here first with loads of questions but no buyers. The only reason I got rid of it was here in Spain it failed the ITV (mot) because it wasn't the standard system and I still have the redundant cutout on the RH side of the bumper!!!
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Rafolian wrote:Yeh, that was the one. I messaged him on fleabay to confirm. That exhaust was a real bargain, which I advertised on here first with loads of questions but no buyers. The only reason I got rid of it was here in Spain it failed the ITV (mot) because it wasn't the standard system and I still have the redundant cutout on the RH side of the bumper!!!

I think I've said on the 'newbie from Glasgow' thread, if the car was my daily driver I couldn't put up with the exhausted note, but because it is not, it really is a buzz driving it every couple of days for half an hour. Lets see what it's like in the summer and if I get a chance to drive it more !
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I drove it for a year with the quad system on, mostly with the top down and it's one of the best sounding exhaust notes I have ever heard (reminded me of something like a '50's Maserati F1 car!) and was louder than my 2 bikes!!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

IIRC, S50s had electric hoods as an optional extra, but I'm not 100% on that. I'd guess most would've had them fitted anyway because it wasn't a big percentage increase on the new car price for such a snazzy option! 8-)
Maybe it became standard at S50 facelift along with inner roof lining?

If the electric mechanism fails, it has to be mechanically disconnected from the roof frame for it to be opened/closed manually. You can't just force it.
Plus, if it was a genuine manual roof, there would be no buttons inside.

S54s had electric hoods as standard, but at least one of the early 'prototypes' had a manual.
I test drove the Phoenix 64003 (noted as a development vehicle) which puzzlingly had a manual roof.

A.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I viewed a Zed before buying this one and the roof didn't work. The guy selling it showed me where the pump was located in the boot and showed me where the valve was to switch it to manual in the event of a failure so no need to disconnect? I'm not saying this right, just what I was told at the time. :)

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The electric hood can be manually opened / closed by turning the "tap" at the base of the motor to the left. It basically opens a valve which negates the hydraulic mechanism operated by the pump. To re-engage the pump, simply turn the tap closed to the right. No other connections or disconnections required.... If you have a owners handbook with your car it details the operation in there.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Barry, that's the first time you haven't had to correct me with my mechanical expertise!!!! :D

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

The aforementioned Z3M has had 11 bids and upto £7 1/2 k with 6 days to go !!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Bidding up to £9200 (reserve not met) with 3 hours left and 23 bids!!