Yet another water ingress thread...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Yet another water ingress thread...

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
After a good search around, I can't seem to find any info on how to stop water getting in from top of the windows. Based on the splatter size on the seats, my passenger side seems to be more affected. It seems to be coming from the rubber seam between the foremost rubber 'tube' and the one next to it, just down from the A-pillar. I know that the window guide is not as tight as should be (recent thread provided great info on the issue), but will have to wait for better weather to act on it. However, I'm not sure water should be around that area anyway. The rubber 'pad' at the top of the A-pillar seems to be in good order, so where does the water need to go, and is it getting in in the first place?
Thanks for your help,
Boosh.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Yet another water ingress thread...

Post by Davejue1 »

Just as a cost free measure. Push the "pad" (grommet) as you call it into the pillar half an inch and fill out with a silicone sealant. If it is getting in there its an instant cure.
Watch out for TR4MAN reading this thread! Water ingress and mpg appear to upset his karma! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The "bungs" at the top of the windscreen pillars are probably the most common problem with water getting in along the edge of the roof and landing on the sides of the seats. These "bungs" need to be really stuck in fast and totally sealed to eliminate the problem.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 12#p345112
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Help, part of the hood has become detached just where it joins it where the clamp is for locking the soft top, at the windscreen,
drivers side I have tried all sorts of glue, but to no avail grrrrrr anybody know which glue is used, I really don't want to buy a second hand soft top.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Davejue1 wrote: Watch out for TR4MAN reading this thread! Water ingress and mpg appear to upset his karma! :D
I'm lurking on the sidelines.....
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

last month I averaged 35 miles per gallon of water leaking in from my roof

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Just taking my sedatives right now...
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

gookah wrote:last month I averaged 35 miles per gallon of water leaking in from my roof
Nice! :roflmao:

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

wizard4 wrote:Help, part of the hood has become detached just where it joins it where the clamp is for locking the soft top
I can't quite envisage your problem or whether glue is required. However, if glue is required it is best to use something that is flexible and waterproof. For example, where the hood tucks under the rear window hard plastic edging, I've used the Bostik waterproof flexible glue successfully. For small tears etc in the hood, I've heard very good reports on Stormsure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bostik-Soft-P ... 4acd8501ee

http://stormsure.co.uk/
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, fastest and easiest fixes ever: window guides tightened up in 5mn (including getting spanner out and away), rubber bungs removed, siliconed up and put back in, with hood ajar while drying. After yet another bout of pain, the interior was as dry as Ghandi's flip flop! Happy days, thanks for the advice,
Boosh.
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Boosh wrote:, the interior was as dry as Ghandi's flip flop! .
Love it :lol:
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

ok lets try again top right hand corner where the hood is attached to the metal frame that has the pin for locking down the hood to the windscreen, that has come adrift, I believe the gentleman that had the car before me put it through a car wash, yup you heard right, anyway I tried bostic, and finally sticks like **** glue, but even that is coming loose, so water continues to come in, I think I might put a water butt inside and save the water for washing the car!
Cheers
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

Hi Wiz

I need pics if you can. Please.
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Hi vic23 thanks for replying, I will upload pics as soon as I get a cable to connect my phone to laptop
Cheers