Roof switch move

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Roof switch move

Post by z3nomness »

Going to give this a go tomorrow

http://www.zroadster.net/tim/custom/powertop.html

maybe its just the shape of my arm but its such a stupid place for a switch :( , I think it would be much better up front.

Any tips?
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Roof switch move

Post by Alfie »

Take up yoga?

The switch is behind you to deliberately make it awkward to operate the roof whilst driving. :roll:
So if you PROMISE not to use the electric roof when you're going along.... :D

A.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

I did that a couple of years ago.

It is much better with the switch up front.

Easy enough to do. Just take your time.

Cheers
Mark
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I assumed they were all at the front? That's where it is on my '98 2.8 when I bought it.
z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by z3nomness »

Done and dusted.

Took about 45 mins all in.

I had read that the loom would fit all the way to the dash if you cut away the trunking a bit.
But rather do that and strip away half the dash and centre console (as the loom goes underneath the sound proofing) I just extended 5 wires.

A worthwhile mod for anyone with the roof switch behind the seats.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Mines up front standard on my car ?

Sent from Boysies iPad using Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by z3nomness »

Mines up front standard on my car ?
They seem to be up front on a few cars (face lift/pre face lift?)
Mine is a 2000 reg.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Alfie wrote:Take up yoga?

The switch is behind you to deliberately make it awkward to operate the roof whilst driving. :roll:
So if you PROMISE not to use the electric roof when you're going along.... :D

A.
You have to have your foot on the brake for them to work (although it's that long since I've driven mine I could be mistaken)

There seems no logic to fitment from factory front / rear, I've seen S54s with them in both places, I much prefer it in front.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi z3nomness.

In the link you posted it shows the radio coming out for access. Did you need to do this or did the ASC switch pop out like the roof switch. Thanks
z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by z3nomness »

Hi John,

No I didn't take the radio out.
With a small screw driver I prised off one of the blank caps beside the acs button.

I could also get access from below the clock by taking off the gear stick, cowl and the foam gear stuck surround.

Bryan
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Jonttt wrote:You have to have your foot on the brake for them to work...
True, you do. But you could be doing 70mph and with the slightest touch of the brakes, operate the roof.
Your Zed then magically transforms into a hang glider.... :shock:

As far as I know, there is no cut-out for the roof motor related to road speed, so in an attempt to reduce the chances of you accidentally interfering with commercial aircraft, BMW (on most Z3s) have put the button in a most uncomfortable and hard-to-reach place.... :roll:

A.

:idea: Edit: Actually, thinking about it, I might be wrong about the cut-out thing. I'm off to RTM... :rtm:
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

How when you are doing 70 mph or any speed could you "accidentally" unclip and push up the front of the hood and put your foot on the brake whilst pushing the button?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

yes but you could close it.
You would still have to accidentally 'hold' your roof button though, and why would you? cos you could equally hold it between the seats as well if you wanted too.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Mines between the seats 2001y reg post face lift took me ages to find out you have to put your foot on the brake peddle to get it open only found out when I asked a chap on the Kobra stand at Donnington kit car show
how to do it
Peter2b
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi all, I intend to do this on my Zed. However, since I (sadly) don't have heated seats, I thought I could just disconnect the hood switch, re-route the wires from the gear lever to dash blank, and re-connect the switch. But the wires seem to be taped up with other parts of the loom (electric windows, alarm led, obsolete rear defrost, at least), so my question is this: is there a way to isolate the five relevant wires without taking the centre console apart, or is extending said wires from original position the only way? It's just that I'd rather not chop any wire if that can be avoided... Hope that makes sense, thanks for your help,
Boosh.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

What have heated seats got to do with it please?
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Not having them leaves me with two blanking plates. One could become the roof switch's new location...
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Ok I see. Thanks
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Rafolian wrote:How when you are doing 70 mph or any speed could you "accidentally" unclip and push up the front of the hood and put your foot on the brake whilst pushing the button?
I said "accidentally interfering with commercial aircraft", not "accidentally operating the roof". It was intended to be a light-hearted throw-away quip. Sorry if I misled you.

Accidentally operating the roof is of course, pretty much impossible, but purposeful use at an inappropriate speed is very possible, especially if you have another pair of hands in the passenger seat.

The point I was trying to make was that BMW didn't put the button between the seats just because they couldn't afford another few centimetres of wire. The button is deliberately located in an awkward place to make it a little bit more difficult to open or close the roof whilst driving, intentionally or otherwise.

HTH.

A.
z3nomness

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by z3nomness »

Any moron that attempts to operate the roof whilst moving deserves what they get IMO.

Regardless of the location of the switch
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Alfie wrote:
Rafolian wrote:How when you are doing 70 mph or any speed could you "accidentally" unclip and push up the front of the hood and put your foot on the brake whilst pushing the button?
I said "accidentally interfering with commercial aircraft", not "accidentally operating the roof". It was intended to be a light-hearted throw-away quip. Sorry if I misled you.

Accidentally operating the roof is of course, pretty much impossible, but purposeful use at an inappropriate speed is very possible, especially if you have another pair of hands in the passenger seat.

The point I was trying to make was that BMW didn't put the button between the seats just because they couldn't afford another few centimetres of wire. The button is deliberately located in an awkward place to make it a little bit more difficult to open or close the roof whilst driving, intentionally or otherwise.

HTH.

A.
Alfie, I'm sure I've seen more with the switches up front than behind. May be worth a poll :?:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Pre-facelift is up front as there is an additional switch slot in the front console.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

up front in our pre facelift as well .interestingly tho you can operate the roof on my merc slk while driving up to 20 mph (handy if it starts raining while in slow moving traffic )
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

does this mean that no-one here has ever operated it while moving?
if so - up to what speed...?

clue - it can work while moving without breaking :D

Alasdair
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

There are loads of idiots driving cars saw a lady on face book driving in to ga garage to re fuel pulled up by a pump got out of the car fuel cap on the other side so she drove around the pump got out cap still on the other side got back into her car drove around the pump again got out CSP still on the other side took a chapto tell her how to get the filler cap on the correct side
Peter2b
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

akirk wrote:does this mean that no-one here has ever operated it while moving?
if so - up to what speed...?

clue - it can work while moving without breaking :D

Alasdair
Tim (Zmeagol) posted a video of him putting the roof up while moving many years ago now, had a quick search but couldn't find it