better lighting?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
walter05

Z3 roadster 2.8

better lighting?

Post by walter05 »

Hi, christmas greeting to one and all. Question: has anyone fitted the chrome projector angel eye replacement headlight units?
Are they worth the price and are they a real improvement over the original Z3 light units. Also are they 100% legal and a better buy than xenons? your views/remarks appreciated.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: better lighting?

Post by Southernboy »

They do provide better lighting than OEM...but that is based on the "old" OEM light bulbs... If you replace the OEM light bulbs with decent quality modern equivalents, the OEM headlights are pretty good too. Just look for something like the Phillips Diamond white type bulbs. They are a lot brighter than OEM and will save you a bomb in complete headlight replacements. If your OEM headlight main lenses are a bit "hazy" there are kits to polish them up so they're 100% clear and as good as new. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
walter05

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by walter05 »

Thanks for reply and suggestion.I agree on the money saving so will look into the philips bulbs on offer.regards and greetings.
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

I strongly recommend the 3m lens cleaning kit.

I have tried others first and they were poor, the 3m was excellent.

From The Amazon......
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
BryZzz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by BryZzz »

If you want halogens, i strongly recommend you get osram nightbreakers. I personally installed H.I.D.'s
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

I used Osram nightbreakers, they made a big difference.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Make sure that the batery voltage is good too - lots of people spend money on HID lights when the battery was the real problem.

Remember also that the HID only gives a brighter dip beam - the main beam is still a bulb. As most people in the UK seldom drive out of street light-lit areas, following other cars, HID conversions seem to be moreof a 'Look at me' type of modification than something which is really useful.

As the OP suggested, legality is pretty borderline, to say the least, and many of the cheaper HID units produce a lot of RF interference, which can affect anything from TV reception to on-car electronics.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!