Window drop with hood operation ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Window drop with hood operation ?

Post by Gordon13 »

Is it possible to make the windows drop slightly when operating the hood?

I have an electric hood and as per the hand book instructions drop the windows before operating it, but im sure ive seen some Z's doing it automatically?

Is it a later software, and if so is it possible to upgrade?

Regards Gordon
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Window drop with hood operation ?

Post by Ian_C »

It must be possible as the ///m coupe windows drop automatically as soon as the doors are opened. You could likely trigger using a feed from the hood micro switch. Common opinion from this thread http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16471 seems to indicate that the coupe body control module controls the drop. That may mean that the dealer could code your roadster body control module to do the same, albeit you'd want to use a different trigger signal.

Edit: Just checked my Bentley manual. The Body Electronics Control Module does control the drop. Does this help: Image
Could be that all the body control modules drop the windows but only used on the coupes - you'd have to see if pins 2 & 3 are connected on yours. Not sure what the wire on pin 12 is for (m versions only). I don't suppose that the windows on the ///m roadster drop when the doors are opened do they? Anyone?
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

No point in the windows dropping automatically on the Z3 roadster because with all variants, you have to push the front edge of the roof up a bit by hand before you press the button and the motor takes over.
In other words, BMW would have to install a crystal ball so the car would know before you operated the roof.... :D

A.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Alfie wrote:No point in the windows dropping automatically on the Z3 roadster because with all variants, you have to push the front edge of the roof up a bit by hand before you press the button and the motor takes over.
In other words, BMW would have to install a crystal ball so the car would know before you operated the roof.... :D

A.
It would be a nice little option when putting the hood up though! Dropping the windows when lowering the roof makes no difference, but if the windows could drop automatically when you press the up side of the roof switch that makes sense.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Brian H wrote: It would be a nice little option when putting the hood up though! Dropping the windows when lowering the roof makes no difference, but if the windows could drop automatically when you press the up side of the roof switch that makes sense.
But you'd have to hold the switch down while latching the roof into place, which might be tricky!
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I sometimes crack open the doors instead of dropping the windows when latching the roof,
Definitely easier with the window out of the way.
Adds to the 'classic' feel of the roadster not having an auto window feature...is what I tell myself every time I reach over the passenger side!

Pretty certain they had it on the 3 series coupes/cabrios with frameless windows.
Maybe the engineered it out of the Z to add the classic feel!
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

Mmm, looks like I didnt think that through fully lol, of course it wouldn't work because of the hood micro switch !!

Thanks Ian for the wiring guide and link. It appears that the same door latch is common between the coupe and roadster so, theoretically, if the signal wire could be found, it could possibly be hooked up to the 'up' switch as Brian suggests. Also code the ZKE as a coupe.

That would also give a window drop when opening/closing the doors, which i think would be an added bonus.

Easy to Wright out, but probably beyond my electronics capability :oops:

Anyone with more intelligence than I have any ideas ??

Regards Gordon
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Dino D wrote:
Pretty certain they had it on the 3 series coupes/cabrios with frameless windows.
Maybe the engineered it out of the Z to add the classic feel!
A friend of mine had a 3 series cabriolet and the first question he asked when I got the Z3 was do the windows drop down a little bit when you put the roof up or down.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Had it on the E46 328CI I had before the Z, but had never seen the need for it on my Z in the 2 1/2 years I've had it!
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

I read that in the operators manual but I invariably forget and it doesn't make a ha'porth of difference. :lol:
It has been totally unnecessary in over 6 years why start now. :?:
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I can confirm that you just have to have the windows down on the Coupe to get in and out as they have long doors and steeply curved side windows which severely limit access, in normal side by side parking it is a real hassle for those of advanced years to get in and out.
The Z on the other hand presents no problem but once the hood is up it is advisable to slightly lower and then raise side windows to ensure a watertight seal between sealing rubbers and glass.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I have to admit in two and a half years of ownership I have never lowered the windows and never encountered any sealing problems.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

My Coupe automatically lowers the windows about 10mm when opening the door and of course raises them when the door is shut all other window operations when entering are controlled via the key.