Hands-free remnant removal and head unit fix - help needed!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hands-free remnant removal and head unit fix - help needed!

Post by Neutro999 »

Hello everyone!

Not posted for a while and I have been a bit vacant on this forum past few months as I have recently started a new job which is taking up a lot of my time with long hours and being shift-based :roll: It also means I have not had much chance to drive/work on the zed! :bawl:

Well, 5 days into the New Year and the weather not being too bad I have decided to change that and swapped cars over for a week before it will be tucked back under it's cover and garaged again til spring-ish :o

When I bought Zed the stereo head unit was not flush with the centre-dash anyway and I pulled it out to get the radio code (fortunately someone had written it on the bottom so didn't need to get serial numbers and go BMW etc...) and then tried to push it back in but it was even worse it would not go back so it is half-hanging out on one side and looks rather naff :( I think it's because previous owner had a hands-free kit installed, possibly different stereo so extra wiring must be blocking it from going all the way back and the remnant of which is a small speaker in the passenger footwell (again looks naff)

I really want to get rid of it and get the head unit fitted in properly nice and flush and was going to take it to a local garage to do but decided I would try and do it myself since I thought 'how hard can it be'? to remove a couple of wires and pull the head unit from behind back into position. I unscrewed one of the panels in passenger footwell on left side of centre console but panel runs all the way down the side to the back by the passenger seat so I still can't pull it away to get enough access behind the stereo. I've had a look on this forum at the dash removal page in knowledgebase and excellent guide for taking the whole dash out - but I really don't to take the whole centre console out if I can help it because I'm not sure I'm confident/D.I.Y handy enough to do too big a job. But also I really don't want to take it to garage now for someone to do this as they will no doubt charge me small fortune for couple hours labour to remove the dash etc...

Basically, what would someone who has done stereo mods advise that I can get away with unscrewing and removing just to get access to behind the stereo?

Thanks Neutro
'01 Z3 3.0i with black leathers - a.k.a 'The Rebel'
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Hands-free remnant removal and head unit fix - help need

Post by bertiejaffa »

You could try removing the speedo and/or the trim under the steering wheel - that might let you see behind...
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Is there a reason you cannot pull out the head unit to see what is interfering?
On mine I need to push the back end upwards to get it to fit.
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

You could try removing the speedo and/or the trim under the steering wheel - that might let you see behind...
I don't really want to have to follow the dash removal guide as far as taking out the speedo. That stage is quite far down the page and includes taking out the steering wheel and most of the centre console :( I really wanted to tackle this by just removing (well, not even completely removing, just opening out really) some of the trim from the passenger side to get rid of the hands-free speaker and then fishing with my hand at the back of the stereo and trying to pull it back whilst pushing it in.
Is there a reason you cannot pull out the head unit to see what is interfering?
On mine I need to push the back end upwards to get it to fit.
Oh BonBon believe me I tried that months ago when I first got the car. I knew I had to take the head unit fully out to get the serial numbers. Luckily the code was written in biro on the unit, but it was scrawled on the underside towards the back so I had it fully out. I then attempted to push it back in and it wouldn't have it. I got a torch right it there and couldn't see any obvious big wire preventing it from going all the way back. Had my hand in there trying to push all the wiring out the way both sides. I know what you mean about tilting it upwards because there is a thingy at the back where part of the head unit should slot/be guided into - I can't really describe it but you probably know what I mean
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Looks like you need to remove the toe trim that the speaker is bolted on to so you can see where the wire goes. I suspect it will lead to a handsfree control box tucked up there, it may also be connected to the radio so when the phone rang it cut the radio speakers out.
Best pull the head unit right out at the same time and check the wiring that end as well.
Just try and ensure the radio loom keeps out of the way when you refit it, there should be room for it so it allows the rear of the set to go back far enough.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Fine - but I don't see how accessing the back will help.
If you really have a problem understanding what is interfering - build a clear box or a frame the shape of the head unit (even one of the frames that support head units without the unit inside) and push it in.....
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

Ok, so I have had a go for an hour or so to see if I could make any further progress and have not made much headway :( but I will post some more pictures and see if anyone can give me any more ideas

I have removed the bottom of the glovebox but not taken it out completely yet (can't open door fully enough to access that last screw on the inside of the door opening as was in the garage) and looks like the wire goes into the depths of the maze of electrics at the front :?

then I also got the head unit out again and I really can't see what could be preventing it from going all the way in apart from possibly one rather firm wire that has no give at all. It's the black one that bends round over that right side where the head unit still sticks out.

how do I disconnect the head unit from all the wires, I've taken the power one off that was easy but how do you remove the black box with all the cluster of wires? I used a screwdriver to fick the top up but it still wouldn't budge. Do I just need to use a bit mroe force :? and also whats OEM wiring there, all of it? or possibly some extra for the HF?

I don't know if I'm confident to delve any further into this. Think it might require taking most of the dash out which is what I was afraid of :cry:

Neutro999
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

The large black cable you show in the picture leading to the heater unit is a bowden cable that operates one of the air flaps so don't go pulling on it or cutting it.

As to the HF speaker cable you need to delve deeper under the carpet to find the HF box its connected to bet its tucked in there.
Once found you will be able to id the wires that probably lead up to the wiring at the head unit end.

The red connectors at the head unit end look like scotch type connectors, you need to flip the tops open and pull the cables out of the blades inside the connector.

Hope that helps

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I could be wrong but I think the speedo will come out without removing the rest... I seem to remember its just 2 screws at the top... it just happens to be the umpteenth job listed on the full interior removal
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

Thanks Colb you are proving very helpful here :)

Ok, will leave the black cable alone if its OEM - but that just makes it even more confusing as to why the head unit won't go back in on that right side :? because there is nothing else obstructing it unless its the aerial cable is getting wrapped around?

Is it possible to pull the carpet up somewhat so that I can see/get in there better to fish around for the HF unit? (i'm going to get the glovebox out fully tomorrow anyway so hopefully that will give better access aswell)

Having looked at a picture of the head unit being removed on zroadster.org The wiring in those scotch connectors is definately not OEM and must be to do with the HF i suspect. Unless its extra for the BMW CD changer I've got? can anyone confirm? How do you get the main wiring harness off from the stereo because it's proving so awkward with it attached to do any of this tweaking :roll:
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

I could be wrong but I think the speedo will come out without removing the rest... I seem to remember its just 2 screws at the top... it just happens to be the umpteenth job listed on the full interior removal
Ok Bertie will have a look in knowledgebase and a read-through again, would be handy if I could remove it and get in from that angle. :)
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

The head unit loom plug should pull out from the head unit may be some clips on each side you need to press in to unlatch it to allow it to pull off the unit.

If you have a cd changer in boot it should be wired as part of the oem loom at the head unit end.

The speedo unit is removable by the two screws mentioned by bertijaffa, no need to remove the steering wheel. With the speedo removed you may get a better view of what is going on with refitting the head unit by peering down the hole.

If you can get your hand down under the carpet I'm sure you will find the HF unit lurking in there, try and pull it up and out from the carpet to see where the other wires are routed to the head unit. It would have had a handset cradle mounted somewhere so there would also be some wiring for that connected to the HF box unless these have been removed already.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

Ok, sounds like I just need to be a bit firmer with the loom to detach it from the head unit

I'll have a go at removing the speedo unit then if its just 2 screws and can rest it on steering column. May be able to get a torch and a mirror in there to see at the back and where the head unit is getting stuck.

I'm a bit cautious now of putting a hand in and fiddling with the wires behind that glove box and carpet - think I need to disconnect the battery? just the negative? If i do will it set the alarm off?

Neutro999
Neutro999

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Neutro999 »

Ok, so after 2hrs this afternoon. I have finally managed to remove all of the nasty hands-free kit and stereo is all nice and neat back in postion. 8-)

As Colb expected there was a HF unit tucked behind the glove box which led to a spaghetti of wires.
One went off up the side trim of the windscreen and across along the top to a mic that I had no idea was lurking there! Those scotch connectors where awkward to get off but after muhc effing and blinding I managed it. With access behind from removing the glove box I could see that the aerial connector wire was getting twisted as the unit was pushed back in and pressing on the bowden cable which prevented it from fitting. I disconnected the antenna and stretched it out and then held onto it whilst pushing the head unit back in and bingo! it fit :roll:

So I am now one very happy bunny that job has been sorted :D thanks to few on here and the knowledgebase :rtm:

On a side note:- To think those nokia kits were the go-to solution some years ago - when they involved dismantling half the dash of your nice shiny new £30k bimmer! :shock: And then you would have an ugly great cradle sat by the gear-knob to knock your hand against every few mins. I remember my Dad had to have one fitted in his brand new 320d about 3 months after he'd got it :head:

Neutro999
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Glad you got it all sorted, knew you would find that HF Box tucked away if you delved in deeper. I have a Nokia kit sitting in a drawer that I had in my old Sportage, I went for a Bluetooth unit that clips on the sun visor with the Sorrie which works just as good without all the wiring the Nokia kit needed.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

I was pleased to see how the radio can be removed from its position. I have a small irritating problem, when you blip the throttle from Idle, when it settles back something behind the dash vibrates, and as long as you are on idle continues to vibrate. When you throttle up it stops untill you come back to idle. It sounds a mechanical noise like two pipes touching, but I want to remove the radio to investigate further. I notice that there is a locating pin on the back of the radio in the picture, is that for going into the alarm sensor, I believe that the radio is connected somehow to the sensor to the alarm.
Thanks Albert.