Airbag light... wit a twist!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Airbag light... wit a twist!

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
I've had a 2002 1.9 Zed for about 6 weeks, and a couple of weeks ago, the dreaded airbag light came on. Car was in the garage today to get some new suspension arms, and I asked the mechanic if he could clear the fault. He had a go, and told me his reader could not connect to anything airbag related. He confirmed that the connection with the car was good, as it could read no mechanical faults, but couldn't go into airbag side of it. Could it be the airbag module playing up? Having a good look around, I found that some airbag modules are read through round connection under bonnet, not long one under steering wheel. Could that be my case? Or, how should I proceed to reach/remove airbag module? And would a new one need coding?
Thanks again,

Boosh.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Airbag light... wit a twist!

Post by therealdb1 »

Hi Boosh,
If you have the round 20 pin pac-man connector under the bonnet you will probably need to connect to that to read the airbag module.
Normally all that is available on the OBD 2 connector inside the car under the steering wheel is the engine management DME module.
Most likely cause of your airbag warning light is a dodgy connection under the seat but getting the code read and the module reset is a good start. Note that not all generic readers can reset airbag lights so it is best to go for something BMW specific like INPA.
For further info Robert T has a good thread on this forum (viewtopic.php?p=353834)
Let us know what you find and hope you get sorted soon.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

You want one of these B800 Airbag Reset Tools to read the codes and reset
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Memo-Scanner- ... 27e788f16a

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

where abouts are you? theres plenty of people with a reset tool
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

I'm in Salisbury, but would be quite happy to drive a little to get it sorted...
Thanks,

Boosh.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36055

Link to the thread with details of members with diagnostic kit, nearest to you seems to be zederbee in Basingstoke area, may be worthwhile to PM him to see if he can assist.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, it took me a little while, but I got myself a B800 SRS reader, as recommended.£15 posted. What convinced me to give a try was the £450 (!) quoted by an 'independent BMW' garage, to take the seat out and replace the airbag module. Using the code reader was very easy, once I realised that the fault had been logged in several times, and therefore needed clearing several times. Two days so far, with no airbag light on the dash. Needless to say, I doubt I'll be using that garage... Thanks all for your input,
Boosh.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

ours only comes back on if you adjust the seat
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Boosh wrote:Well, it took me a little while, but I got myself a B800 SRS reader, as recommended.£15 posted. What convinced me to give a try was the £450 (!) quoted by an 'independent BMW' garage, to take the seat out and replace the airbag module. Using the code reader was very easy, once I realised that the fault had been logged in several times, and therefore needed clearing several times. Two days so far, with no airbag light on the dash. Needless to say, I doubt I'll be using that garage... Thanks all for your input,
Boosh.

Amusingly you don't have to take the seat out to replace the airbag module, it is underneath the stereo above the clutch.

I had an airbag fault that I couldn't rectify, but replacing the airbag control module with one of exactly the same part number solved the problems instantly.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

...and I bet it didn't cost £320 (albeit new) to fit either! Bloody rip off merchants!