Only 1 speaker out of 4 works.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
warhammer23

BMW other

Only 1 speaker out of 4 works.

Post by warhammer23 »

I don't know much about audio systems.
Regarding my Z3 1.9 from 1997.

I counted 4 speakers and only the one behind the driver works.
The same on all modes - radio, sd card so far.

From what i searched, i should have an amplifier with the cd changer?
I sold the cd changer don't need it - could this be or? I can't remember if all 4 worked when it had the cd changer.

The cd player is ALBA but more than that i can't find the exact model.

Can all the 3 speakers be broken?
How can i test them?

Thank you.
jond58

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Only 1 speaker out of 4 works.

Post by jond58 »

If you can remove them you can test them with an aa battery. Just put a wire to positive and one to negative and you should hear it pop and static. If not its buggered!
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

warhammer23 wrote:I don't know much about audio systems.
Regarding my Z3 1.9 from 1997.

I counted 4 speakers and only the one behind the driver works.
Mine's always been the same, I never got to the bottom of the problem and replacing the radio didn't make any difference. Swapping the wires from the working speaker to the non working speaker made the non worker work and the worker not work.
I just use the fronts as I don't think the standard rears are worth using anyway but it's always niggled me as I hate things not working.

Dave
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
swappy

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by swappy »

Hi warhammer23, not all the Z's had an amp I think it depended on what extras you ordered when the car was new. Mine has simple wiring head unit to speakers :) makes things simple. I only discovered this because when i got the car the front speakers wernt working but the tweeters in the doors and the rears were :? .
Anyway I took the head unit out to find out what was going off hoping that no one had chopped the original plugs off, luckily they hadn't :) .
They had however used the appropriate adaptor but instead of pluging both the plugs from the head unit (which are standard plugs with all car stereos) into the adaptor they had plugged one in and for some reason ran a seperate live and earth to the other plug which contained the wiring for the front speakers as well.
Disconected the previous owners wiring, plugged the second cable into the adaptor and hey presto everything works :D
Purchased a new kenwood head unit (only £70) and sounds 100% better.
Basicly just saying check the head unit and make sure its using the right adaptor because you never know what some other muppet has done in the past. :head: And I might be wrong but if your car has the amp/amps then it should have the sub between the seats where there is normally a storage compartment.
warhammer23

BMW other

Post by warhammer23 »

Thanks guys for all the info.

I tried so far to test all the individual speakers with a battery.
And surprise, they all work.
Said i will investigate further and for now use it the way it is.
Thing is i only listened only that song over an over, unlucky me.

And then a new song comes along and everything works even bass.
So it should be because they are in low quality mp3?

Can i put them in tracks ? (On the sd card)
Should read them right?
What about flacs?

I will experiement shortly.
And after this if needed will remove the cd player to check what is there and maybe for the amp.

Thanks again.