Koni Sport Suspension Adjustment (Yellows)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Koni Sport Suspension Adjustment (Yellows)

Post by Inferno »

Yesterday i adjusted the front suspension to be more soft, i had it for a long time on the firm side, from 900 degrees of rotation i had it set to 720degrees, so yesterday i set it to 360, HUGE difference in the bumpy greek roads, still holds pretty well (not as sporty as before) but the level of comfort is much much better!, since my koni's are the 3rd gen, rear suspension is adjusted only off the car, so i will soft them in a few days in the rear top mount change.

What is your opinion? what is best combo?
-same softness all around?
-rear more firm than the front?
-front more firm than the rear?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Koni Sport Suspension Adjustment (Yellows)

Post by Brian H »

I really think this will be a personal choice that only you can make, suspension and handling are very subjective. Why not start neutral (same front and rear) and work from there?
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

yeah you are right, it's just that the rears are not easy to adjust, you have to take them off the car, so it's really one time shot to adjust them, i am just looking IF there is something like a rule, or a guide for adjusting, you know something like "on rwd it's better to have the rear stiffer because of, well.... the rwd" blah blah blah
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I have the same setup and run firm for track use. Day to day I run the koni's on mid settings. The rears are a pain to adjust becasue you need to push them all the way in and twist.

Lee
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

What are the konis like? I'm thinking of upgrading suspension but don't want to spend bucket loads
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

i had Bilstein sport (yellows) and now these Konis, for me the difference is huge, konis are far more superior and the adjustment you get, it can be very usefull. Bilsteins were just too firm for the Z3 chassis, i have the same on an E36 convertible, they feel way better on that one.

I have Konis with Eibach lowered springs, car has amazing handling when driving fast in twisty sea side roads
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Our Golf TDI was fitted with Koni Sports yellow dampers when new, and after 204,000 miles they are still within 2% of each other on the damper test in our French MoT - not bad, eh?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!