More Government Obstructiveness

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bentley-boy

blank

More Government Obstructiveness

Post by bentley-boy »

Went to tax the Zed few minutes ago down post office to run 1st March as it is off the road at the mo. As 1st March is Sunday I expected to be able to tax it as would normally be the case the end of the previous day. Girl at the P.O clearly hadn't a clue and spent ages examining the log book looking for the amount due, I explained she won't find it there but needs to look on her terminal link. Processed it and being suspicious of her abilities I asked her to confirm it was from March 1st. Turned out it wasn't. Her supervisor intervened and said it can only be taxed from the first day of the month, "but you are closed tomorrow" I said and I want to use the car on the 1st. Tough was the basic reply. So not only do we have this nonsense of having to surrender tax on a car you are selling so the buyer cannot drive it away but has to tax it again for the same month period the seller has also taxed it for, we now have this having to tax a car for a period they will not let you use it for , in my case tomorrow.
I asked them to refund me which they did and cancelled the tax, The world seems to be getting a more difficult and stupid place to live or am I just getting old? Was really looking forward to having a blast in the zed too!
Oh by the way, the stupid girl wanted to stamp the registration document afterwards too!

Grumpy old git
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Re: More Government Obstructiveness

Post by maurice the martian »

Hiya 'grumpy old git ' from another.Cant u just tax online or even fone there automated line .???
M
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

tax it online tomorrow problem solved...

To beat their rules you just need to know how to play their game ----
Always SORN online on the last day of the month. Re-tax online on the first.

There is also a way around the rules to beat the 1 month double tax,
Sell it whenever, but the buyer only collects it on the first, you make the buyer wait to the first day of the month. You sell whenever, then cancel your tax on the last day of the month, they pick it up and tax it on the first.
My new cars tax is £30 a year, not too bothered about a double tax on that one...

In the meantime benefit from the smaller premium on monthly options, they used to add 10% for paying six monthly, Now they only add 5% whether its monthly or six monthly, this supposedly is being paid for by the 'double tax' on a month.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Adrian. My car to has been on SORN and I have just taxed it online ready for tomo. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

When I taxed my car at the post office I was able to tax it a few days before the end of the month, and start the tax the following month, not sure if a Sunday was involved though.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

The problem is with a car that's been on SORN. I taxed my daily driver last month 3 weeks before it was due. If you have a reminder they let you tax early for the following month. If it's been on SORN you won't get a reminder and that's when they will keep you into the existing month upto the last day. :)

maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Davejue1 wrote:Adrian. My car to has been on SORN and I have just taxed it online ready for tomo. :)

Cheers
Dave
About bloody time tooImage Image Image
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, well yes I can see that it could be done online if you have a card which is something I don't use, I still live in a world of using money! Does this online / telephone malarky involve using premium rate numbers that leave you hanging on or additional charges for using a card (that I don't have by choice). I feel the start of another rant looming!!
G o G
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

You don't need a card. Setup a direct debit and it'll take a monthly fee which for yours I imagine will be about £15 or so. :)

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

maurice the martian wrote:
Davejue1 wrote:Adrian. My car to has been on SORN and I have just taxed it online ready for tomo. :)

Cheers
Dave
Hi Moz! :D

maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Davejue1 wrote:
maurice the martian wrote:

Cheers
Dave
Hi Moz! :D
Hi Dave.Image
frog farmer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by frog farmer »

There is still a problem when you are buying and exporting it the same week, I have bought two cars on here and brought them to France and the only way around it was for the seller to delay the sale until I had left UK, I had the insurance covered.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Cheers
Dave
Check you haven't paid for February

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

gookah wrote:

Cheers
Dave
Check you haven't paid for February
Hi, it gave me the option of Feb or March. :)

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Ah right, will have to look into that. If I hadn't questioned the abilities of the counter girl in the post office I certainly would have ended up paying for February and be non the wiser as not getting an expiry date in form of a disc anymore. This was despite me clearly saying "tax for six months from March 1st please". They don't listen and just do their thing.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Don't start me on rants!
The problem is that they are de-skilling Post Office staff. We had a really good Post Office in the village and the couple that ran it knew exactly what they were doing for all of the services they offered. The "Post Office" has now moved to an ordinary counter in an "open all hours" shop and any Tom, Dick, or Harry serves you. I queued for 40 minutes while a girl who couldn't have been long out of school was on the phone to someone who knew how to run a Post Office getting step by step instructions on issuing a Postal Order!
I agree that direct debit is by far the easiest way to tax a daily driver but it is a pain in the derriere for sunny weekend only cars that are on and off of SORN every few months.
I would suggest that the Government did not think the new system through but then part of me says that they know perfectly well what they are doing and that is ripping off perfectly honest motorists once more.
When will the duty raised by road tax be put on fuel instead which is bar far the fairest system and implemented in other countries successfully? If you drive your car you pay your tax - Don't drive it and you are not paying. Simples!
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

But that's the whole point, they HAVE put road tax duty on fuel which is why I think it's fair to say we have the most expensive fuel going AND they keep the separate tax going as well. How long before they tax you to notify them you aren't taxing your car?
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I feel the start of another rant looming!!
G o G
Oh dear Adrian, join the club! I have a sneaking feeling there might be a fair share of 'G o G's' on our beloved Z website, so don't think too badly of yourself about it! :D

See you soon
Pete
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

therealdb1 wrote: I agree that direct debit is by far the easiest way to tax a daily driver but it is a pain in the derriere for sunny weekend only cars that are on and off of SORN every few months.

Totally disagree,
I just taxed my wife's SORNed Zed today, online, on my sofa, with a sausage sandwich and a cup of tea in my hand. No need to wait in a post office on an inconvenient day in a queue waiting for 2 out of 6 open counters, and no more hunting for MOT's and insurance certificates. And all in all what would have been at least 3/4 hour before, was now 5 minutes. and all done by direct debit, no card in sight. And I SORNED it online last October 31st under the new system
This is real progress..

therealdb1 wrote: I would suggest that the Government did not think the new system through but then part of me says that they know perfectly well what they are doing and that is ripping off perfectly honest motorists once more.
If they have ripped my wife off by now charging a 5% mark up fee for the more convenient monthly payment, rather than the old 10% mark up for six months than I hope they continue..
I know to tax on the first of the month and SORN on the last day of the month,
Regarding partial months tax on buying and selling a car, well we all used to think that if I wait to collect the car on the 1st I won't have to pay a partial months tax.
With most newer cars having minimal tax fees it is now even less of a problem..

PS..... what is a postal order?

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I just taxed my wife's SORNed Zed today, online, on my sofa, with a sausage sandwich and a cup of tea in my hand
Just UnSORNed my 2.8 online (with a little guidance from Dave :wink: ) after it awoke from it's winter sleep. I too was at the brekky bar with a couple of hot cross buns and coffee. Within less than 5 minutes we were done, fired up first time and we were out again on the country lanes! Must say the the whole process of SORN and unSORN was so much easier then hanging around the PO with half the rain forest in your hand. :thumb:
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Koolflyer wrote:
I just taxed my wife's SORNed Zed today, online, on my sofa, with a sausage sandwich and a cup of tea in my hand
Just UnSORNed my 2.8 online (with a little guidance from Dave :wink: ) after it awoke from it's winter sleep. I too was at the brekky bar with a couple of hot cross buns and coffee. Within less than 5 minutes we were done, fired up first time and we were out again on the country lanes! Must say the the whole process of SORN and unSORN was so much easier then hanging around the PO with half the rain forest in your hand. :thumb:
Well done that man! Are you coming on this bucks cruise next Sunday being organised by .org then mate? It's been posted on here. Should be a good day. :)

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Someone (Dave, Koolflyer) prepared to enlighten me on the process then? My little Zed is sat there whimpering. If using a DD can you just stop and start at will i.e SORN for a month then tax for a month and then SORN again without them taking your dosh? My experience of banks is that they take some time to 'undo' a DD and keep paying it until their systems have been re-programmed.

BB
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

bentley-boy wrote:Someone (Dave, Koolflyer) prepared to enlighten me on the process then? My little Zed is sat there whimpering. If using a DD can you just stop and start at will i.e SORN for a month then tax for a month and then SORN again without them taking your dosh? My experience of banks is that they take some time to 'undo' a DD and keep paying it until their systems have been re-programmed.

Adrian. Just Google road tax online. As you don't have a reminder have your log book handy and use the 11 digit number about 2/3rds down the front page and also put your reg plate in. Self explanatory from there mate.
Regarding the direct debit they have set it up in such a way that you just cancel it and then the dvla take it you are not wanting to tax for the following month. Then just go on dvla and fill the sorn out. :) Hope this helps.

BB

bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Okey Doke, will give it a bash. Bet I don't get a sausage sarnie though!

BB
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I just opted to pay the £126.50 on my Debit Card and be done with, but of course need to remember when to renew it by. By D/Debit I believe you don't run that risk....maybe I'll try that sometime.
Bucks ride sounds good but I'm supposed to be opening up the VC10.......ummm :roll:
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Koolflyer wrote:I just opted to pay the £126.50 on my Debit Card and be done with, but of course need to remember when to renew it by. By D/Debit I believe you don't run that risk....maybe I'll try that sometime.
Bucks ride sounds good but I'm supposed to be opening up the VC10.......ummm :roll:
Come on Pete, come out and play!! Meeting billz at j26. We can shoot off at 24 and meet you at donny services :D

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I always sworn and tax on line for all my cars nice and easy with tea in one hand card in the other
peter2b
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

peter2b wrote:I always sworn and tax on line for all my cars nice and easy with tea in one hand card in the other
peter2b
Freudian slip? :lol:
Pingu
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

I always, tax and sorn online, I have the Z, a daily driver and two bikes to juggle. However, I wouldn't dream of doing it by DD. Why would you want to give a government department direct access to your bank account. If you sorn it and they still take the money, think how much agro you will have trying to get a refund.
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Absolutely, give them as little info as possible. When renewing a passport they want you to give them your mobile telephone number and e-mail address, presumably to make monitoring you easier. Paranoid, me?
BB
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

bentley-boy wrote:Absolutely, give them as little info as possible. When renewing a passport they want you to give them your mobile telephone number and e-mail address, presumably to make monitoring you easier. Paranoid, me?
BB
Think I would be tempted to give them the email address for Mickey Mouse and a number for a premium rate sex line. Serve them right. :)