Help Please - Suspect Power Steering Pump

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mint

blank

Help Please - Suspect Power Steering Pump

Post by Mint »

Well pulled the Zed out to start getting ready for the meet on Sunday, she started first time (since last October) but there was a different noise from the engine :( . Firstly I thought water pump but when I looked where she had been parked there was a pool of power steering fluid under the front of the car. I checked the level and sure enough it was empty. Went off to buy a litre so have topped up to the right level and will see tomorrow if it's still there. However I am thinking the power steering pump has failed. So my questions are:
Is it a DIY job to change it bearing in mind I only have a trolley jack and axle stands?
Where would be the best place to source it - can you get refurbed pumps?
Thanks for any help...
Dave
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Help Please - Suspect Power Steering Pump

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi Dave

This thread has some information on leaks from the PAS plus links to other threads on the subject.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Cheers Bill, some interesting reading. I'll get underneath tomorrow and get the splash guard off and have a good look.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Mine started leaking recently from the factory-fitted "crimped" clip holding a rubber pipe to the pump. Simply replaced it with a nice quality jubilee clip and all is well. The "crimped" clip wasn't very tight at all. Hopefully, the noise you heard may have been caused by low fluid rather than a broken pump.
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Hope mine's as easy to fix Del…
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Mint wrote:Hope mine's as easy to fix Del…
Hope you get sorted in time for Sunday Dave. Moved mine for the first time since October yesterday to take it up the road for a service and it did feel a bit rough but all was working as it should. The run out on Sunday will sort it I'm sure. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have recently replaced all the crimped hose clamps for the same reason. The hoses shrink with age and the OEM clamps cease to function as effectively. If you're getting under the car, may as well do them all including the ones at top where they hoses connect to the reservoir. You may want to get the engine cleaned thoroughly first to remove all the leaked fluids. It'll allow you to detect if you have sorted the problem and if not, where it needs further attention.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

You do not seem to have done anything more than admire the pool of oil under the car - why don't you get underneath and use your eyeballs? It is possible that the low-pressure hose between the header tank and the pump has started leaking, the crimped clip having come loose as the aged pipe shrinks back underneath the clip.

Mine did this years ago, and was replaced by a normal hose clip, which enables me to easily drain the PAS oil to change it every few years.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

In the words of Manfred Mann's Earth Band... Davy's On the Road Again.
This morning, I got her up on axle stands and removed the plastic under tray from the front of the engine to see this:
So you were right Del, it was the union between the steel pipe from the cooler and the rubber hose. When I started cleaning it down the metal clip which was there originally came away in very rusty pieces so the joint was leaking all the time. So after a good clean I fitted a jubilee clip and waited (had a coffee) to see if it leaked.
Very pleased to say NO, dry as a bone. Cleaned up then refitted the under tray, topped up the reservoir and went for a test drive.
So the noise I heard on initial start up was the power steering pump running dry - full marks to Del/Barry/Mike for suggesting checking the pipework/hoses.
Cheers Guys
Dave
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Glad you got it sorted :) When you think about it, we all have similar cars of a similar age and therefore, get similar problems :D
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Del wrote:Glad you got it sorted :) ...we all have similar cars of a similar age and therefore, get similar problems :D
Agreed Del, and mine was one of the last ever made, so she's now 13 :)