z3 hardtop removal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ladders

blank

z3 hardtop removal

Post by ladders »

hi, i drive an 2001 z3 and it came with a hardtop fitted, can anyone tell me what to expect when removing it? i have purchased a stand for it.is there wiring for the heated screen to disconnect?
cheers
ladders.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: z3 hardtop removal

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It depends upon which hardtop, as there are three, but by far the most common is the OEM BMW one (it has a curved rear windscreen with two black gutters across the top of the roof), and that is what I would expect you to have, and what I will describe to you now.

To remove the roof:

1) Remove the aerial

2) Undo the two captive grub screws at the front with the Torx T-bar which should have been supplied with the car. These are hidden in the top of the windscreen frame a couple of inches in from each side

3) Rotate the two clamps next to the seatbelt turrets so that they are fully forward (if memory serves). The roof will lift slightly as you do this.

4) Lift the roof upward at least 6 inches, so that the metal spikes clear the bodywork.

5) Carry the roof backwards away from the car. Be careful placing it on the stand and do not be tempted to rest the rear edge of the roof on the floor, or you will chip the paint.

On the BMW roof, there are no wires to disconnect. The HRW has a pair of contacts in the right-hand (UK passenger side) mounting, and they are held together by the action of the clamps.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ladders

blank

Post by ladders »

thanks Robert it is the bmw roof with the 2 gutters on top. am also expecting a heavy roof from what i have read it weighs 63lbs.will me and the missus be able to lift it?
cheers and thanks for the welcome.
ladders.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

You should be fine but they key thing to watch out for are the spikes on each rear corner, keep them clear of the body work!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Sorry, forgot to add that it is definitely a two person job, otherwise you risk dropping the roof on the car, spikes first!

It is not that heavy with two people lifting it, but it is a large item and is a bit awkward to manoeuvre. If she doesn't feel comfortable lifting it that first few inches, set it back down on the car and get someone stronger, don't be tempted to let her carry it backwards, as there is no putting it down again until you are clear of the car. Having said that, I'm sure you will manage fine.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

we put a piece of thick carpet on the floor and rest the back near the rear window on the carpet standing the roof up then fit it into the bag its a bit chewey but me and the mrs manage fine
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I have a hoist for mine and even with that it's better with two people when re-fitting it so you avoid dropping those nasty prongs on delicate paintwork. My son has a Honda S2000 with a hardtop and that's awkward and heavy too. The Honda isn't as refined as the Z3 - you even have to unplug the screen heater manually and the roofs are known for rattling as well. Also the hood is unlined unlike our nicely finished interiors. That said, though, the glass rear window is nice and nobody can criticise 240bhp and a redline of 9,000rpm! Horses for courses as they say.
ladders

blank

Post by ladders »

Thanks everyone for your advice,It's off and is on the stand. All ready for summer .