Jeremy Clarkson suspended

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Moderator: Gazza

Del
Joined: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 18:35
Posts: 2122

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Del » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 21:14

Top gear also suspended - my Sundays will never be the same :(

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2727

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by gookah » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 21:52

No Clarkson = no show..
Clarkson is Topgear, love him or hate him
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

Joycey
Joined: Mon 11 Jul, 2011 23:15
Posts: 278

  M roadster S52
Location: Basingstoke

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Joycey » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 22:54

Amen!
Image

Rafolian
Joined: Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:41
Posts: 547

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Rafolian » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 23:00

Knows as much about cars as my arse knows about snipe shooting!!

Warrior
Joined: Tue 11 May, 2010 11:02
Posts: 382

  Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Warrior » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 00:30

Top Gear is sold across the globe. I can't see Clarkson being shown the door for that reason alone.

The bigger problem for me, even though I do like Clarkson and co., is the throw away remarks that could have an impact on car sales. On Sunday his reference to 'only old people drive Suzuki's' wasn't side splitting, ironic or true but said enough times is very hard to overcome.

Warrior
Joined: Tue 11 May, 2010 11:02
Posts: 382

  Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Warrior » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 00:31

Rafolian wrote:Knows as much about cars as my arse knows about snipe shooting!!
I'm going Sunday. Can you ask it what ammo I should use? :D

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 07:21

Being controversial is part of the act.... and perhaps the PC thing is a tad overdone in the UK. The Brits are too scared to exercise freedom of expression there on the grounds it may offend. Perhaps it's time for what's left of the British identity to come out and speak... I support the Aussie view - "This is the Aussie way, you're in Aussie by choice - if you don't like it, leave, but don't stay and tell me how terrible it is to live here"
Clarkson speaks his mind - mostly...he also likes to throw in a few unrefined comments about certain aspects relating to the norms of other nationalities and this is "un-cool" according to BBC protocol, and current sensitivities.
One of the defining aspects I've always admired about the Brits is their ability to laugh at themselves - many other nationalities lack this freedom of character.
Yesterday some black guys at the University in Cape Town threw human waste on a statue of Cecil Rhodes on the campus - their spokesman said it was a protest against what represents white elitist supremacy - what the prat doesn't get is the fact that the university is there because some white people decided that higher education was desirable, and he is enjoying the facility now as a student because it was white people who made that decision.
This describes the mentality which can be compared to the ISIS movement destroying their own history in Iraq and Syria..... It's time for people to make a stand against mindless ignorance outright stupidity, and put an end to apologist drivel to those groups who feel inferior by virtue of their own inabilities and choose not to accept the benefits they are offered to raise themselves. Why should any nation apologise to an immigrant because he can't find his preferred social environment - no one forced him to emigrate, and if his choice is to live in the UK or anywhere outside of his native culture, then he should have considered that reality before making the move. I wouldn't emigrate to Mexico, Greece or Iran simply based on the fact that that their native culture isn't likely to agree with my native being...but if I chose to go there, I must accept their norms wholeheartedly and integrate myself. I find it unsurprising to see news items on the abuse of young girls and women in certain UK towns and cities perpetrated largely by immigrants from middle east countries where if they behaved that way, they would as likely as not loose their heads if not other body parts.... The "freedom" from that cultural threat enjoyed in the UK gives them licence to behave like barbarians and PC is their war cry if anyone describes them for what they are.
It should be conditional on application to live in the UK that Pork sausages are eaten at least 3 times a week and bacon the other four days of the week - that might discourage a few prats from arriving uninvited....and no Ninja outfits allowed as Clarkson would say .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

User avatar
Inferno
Joined: Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:35
Posts: 269

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Location: Athens
Contact:

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Inferno » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 07:44

Southernboy wrote:I wouldn't emigrate to Mexico, Greece or Iran simply based on the fact that that their native culture isn't likely to agree with my native being...but if I chose to go there, I must accept their norms wholeheartedly and integrate myself.
Wow, Greece in the same example with Mexico and Iran! :P, ok i don't even like living here but Greece, isn't mexico nor Iran, not even these days. Anyway i completely agree with you on the rest, and BTW i never respected Jeremy for his work, Chris Harris is miles away.

Have a nice day
Image
Image

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 07:59

........ I gave Greece as an example of even a "mild" cultural change to illustrate that even living in the country which gave the world democracy would still require one to become "Greek" and not go live there and complain that the Greeks are the ones who are out of step.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

User avatar
Inferno
Joined: Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:35
Posts: 269

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Location: Athens
Contact:

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Inferno » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 08:09

Hey i no prob bro, i wrote my post in a humorous mood :)
Image
Image

User avatar
Koolflyer
Joined: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 16:51
Posts: 574

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Koolflyer » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 08:59

It's a sad indictment of our country, and I have a sneaky suspicion that SB's comments are probably shared by the majority on here, worryingly our 'glorious leaders' don't seem to listen! As for JC, whether you like or loathe him it was probably only a matter of time when the lefty PC 'ponse' brigade of the BBC turned on him. Personally, I think Top Gear and it's presenters are great.....most of the time putting two fingers up to the PC establishment! My opinion. :lol:
Last edited by Koolflyer on Wed 11 Mar, 2015 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Image
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White

peter2b
Joined: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 18:47
Posts: 949

  Z3 roadster 2.2i
Location: cheshire

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by peter2b » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 09:23

when I Rome, he hasn't even been convicted of any thing yet, smack his wrist and give him another warning if convicted, BBC should grow up and live in a real world like England used to be
petet2b

User avatar
Davejue1
Joined: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 08:25
Posts: 1249

  Z3 roadster 2.8
Location: Mansfield

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Davejue1 » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 09:41

Koolflyer wrote:It's a sad indictment of our country, and I have a sneaky suspicion that SB's comments are probably shared by the majority on here, worryingly our 'glorious leaders' don't seem to listen! As for JC, whether you like or loath him it was probably only a matter of time when the lefty PC 'ponse' brigade of the BBC turned on him. Personally, I think Top Gear and it's presenters are great.....most of the time putting two fingers up to the PC establishment! My opinion. :lol:
Here here! Pete for king!!!! :)
Image

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"

User avatar
lordhelpus
Joined: Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:46
Posts: 128

  Z3 roadster 2.8
Location: Tax Exile

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by lordhelpus » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 11:36

I believe it was a punch thrown over an argument about food..........sounds like Saturday night at my local kebab shop.
As for Clarkson he's a prat, and knows nothing about cars, He is a moronic idiot who acts like a spoilt child.
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2727

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by gookah » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 17:10

lordhelpus wrote: As for Clarkson he's a prat, and knows nothing about cars, He is a moronic idiot who acts like a spoilt child.

He knows everything about entertainment though,
why would a multi millionaire need to know about changing a clutch to determine which supercar handles best? He knows about the car stuff he needs to know to make Top Gear the success it is.
Thank god the days of Top Gear telling us how much capacity a Golf hatchback boot held is long past.

He says the things lot of us do, but really shouldn't, and that makes him rather more popular than most politicians and do-gooders.
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

User avatar
lordhelpus
Joined: Sat 14 Sep, 2013 10:46
Posts: 128

  Z3 roadster 2.8
Location: Tax Exile

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by lordhelpus » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 18:45

gookah wrote:
lordhelpus wrote: As for Clarkson he's a prat, and knows nothing about cars, He is a moronic idiot who acts like a spoilt child.

He knows everything about entertainment though,
why would a multi millionaire need to know about changing a clutch to determine which supercar handles best? He knows about the car stuff he needs to know to make Top Gear the success it is.
Thank god the days of Top Gear telling us how much capacity a Golf hatchback boot held is long past.

He says the things lot of us do, but really shouldn't, and that makes him rather more popular than most politicians and do-gooders.
If that's what you call entertainment? it's a very predictable programme.. as for being a multi millionaire that's because people like yourself buy the crap he turns out...whenever I have seen his stuff it's in the managers special bin...which is where it belongs...as for being popular the plague was popular in 1665 which a lot of people wished it wasn't, just because things are popular don't make it good.
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue

Mugs
Joined: Wed 07 Aug, 2013 02:26
Posts: 341

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Mugs » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 19:13

lordhelpus wrote:
gookah wrote:
lordhelpus wrote: As for Clarkson he's a prat, and knows nothing about cars, He is a moronic idiot who acts like a spoilt child.

He knows everything about entertainment though,
why would a multi millionaire need to know about changing a clutch to determine which supercar handles best? He knows about the car stuff he needs to know to make Top Gear the success it is.
Thank god the days of Top Gear telling us how much capacity a Golf hatchback boot held is long past.

He says the things lot of us do, but really shouldn't, and that makes him rather more popular than most politicians and do-gooders.
If that's what you call entertainment? it's a very predictable programme.. as for being a multi millionaire that's because people like yourself buy the crap he turns out...whenever I have seen his stuff it's in the managers special bin...which is where it belongs...as for being popular the plague was popular in 1665 which a lot of people wished it wasn't, just because things are popular don't make it good.
so i take it you don't like him then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2727

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by gookah » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 19:42

lordhelpus wrote:
gookah wrote:
lordhelpus wrote: As for Clarkson he's a prat, and knows nothing about cars, He is a moronic idiot who acts like a spoilt child.

He knows everything about entertainment though,
why would a multi millionaire need to know about changing a clutch to determine which supercar handles best? He knows about the car stuff he needs to know to make Top Gear the success it is.
Thank god the days of Top Gear telling us how much capacity a Golf hatchback boot held is long past.

He says the things lot of us do, but really shouldn't, and that makes him rather more popular than most politicians and do-gooders.
If that's what you call entertainment? it's a very predictable programme.. as for being a multi millionaire that's because people like yourself buy the crap he turns out...whenever I have seen his stuff it's in the managers special bin...which is where it belongs...as for being popular the plague was popular in 1665 which a lot of people wished it wasn't, just because things are popular don't make it good.
Well thats your opinion, I guess countless others who have made Top Gear a successfull program are all wrong. Also, I think you will find that the plague wasn't 'popular'.
PS I don't tell you what you may buy is crap and I resent the personal slant you have adopted. You haven't got a clue what I buy.
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

Rafolian
Joined: Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:41
Posts: 547

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Rafolian » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 20:06

Lordhelpus - totally agree, nice to know there are some car enthusiasts who are out of primary school!!

Del
Joined: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 18:35
Posts: 2122

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Del » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 20:11

We really enjoy Top Gear and never miss it and buy their special Christmas edition CDs. We particularly enjoy their foreign road trips, retro laddish banter as do millions of others. Their humour is delivered in a self-deprecating way and I think some, who either don’t like the show or JC, must spend hours studying every millisecond in case they see something which offends them. I also used to read Enid Blyton books when I was a child so it probably warped me for life :D

Rafolian
Joined: Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:41
Posts: 547

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Rafolian » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 20:33

Says it all!

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 20:35

JC aside, there's a lot to be said for the program in many ways...If it weren't for the foils of the other two, Clarkson wouldn't be quite as entertaining.... The "opinions" expressed on the program about any particular car are just that - opinions. Sometimes I agree that, a certain car is cool and other times I disagree.... their opinions don't particularly bother me - I know what I like, which is really all that concerns me... Clarkson the man is who he is, and in spite of himself he is generally liked as evidenced by the popularity of the show.... maybe one day he'll come out - and tell everyone the story of his career at BBC behind the scenes...at least even those who don't like him will be interested to hear his perspectives... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

User avatar
Badman gee
Joined: Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:45
Posts: 2299

  M roadster S50

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Badman gee » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 20:40

Its a hugely popular show, the jewel in the bbc crown.

I wish that it would be more focused on cars than silly pranks.

Clarkson has spent a long time being involved with cars not to know anything about them.
Image

The 'BEAST' 666

Del
Joined: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 18:35
Posts: 2122

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Del » Wed 11 Mar, 2015 20:43

You get the show in SA then Southernboy? I know in some countries they do their own version. The US I believe does their own as does Australia - I guess our UK version is too PC for the Aussies :D

User avatar
c_w
Joined: Thu 19 Aug, 2004 17:50
Posts: 4032

  M roadster S50

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by c_w » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 19:01

lordhelpus wrote:I believe it was a punch thrown over an argument about food..........sounds like Saturday night at my local kebab shop.
As for Clarkson he's a prat, and knows nothing about cars, He is a moronic idiot who acts like a spoilt child.
To be fair he probably knows a lot more than you do, and he is one of the best TV presenters when he's in serious mode. His documentaries are up there with the best.

I can't actually work out why some people cannot see his provocative nature is just that. They actually take some of his stuff seriously, they actually think he's racist etc. I read one piss-poor attempt at getting a counter-petition to have him sacked say;
As recent newspaper reports show in October 2009 he ridiculed TV bosses for being obsessed with having “black Muslim lesbians” on shows to balance out the number of white heterosexual men. These comments followed on from the Strictly Come Dancing issue over Anton Du Beke calling his partner Laila Rouass a “Paki”."
As if a joke about PC equality is comparable to calling somebody that. And this is frankly hilarious, and I cannot see why it would be offensive or anti-gay;
Later that month Alastair Campbell revealed on his blog that, in un-aired comments, Clarkson had rebuffed claims that he wasn’t very sound on gay rights by replying “Oh yes I am. I demand the right not to be bummed.”

The full text is here https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... 1426111529 .

Some relief here;
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... -clarkson/

User avatar
Badman gee
Joined: Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:45
Posts: 2299

  M roadster S50

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Badman gee » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 19:31

Lord h u

clarkson would prob have the same opinion of you!

Except he has a backing of millions!
Image

The 'BEAST' 666

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2727

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by gookah » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 23:25

Badman gee wrote:Lord h u

Clever :lol:
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

Warrior
Joined: Tue 11 May, 2010 11:02
Posts: 382

  Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Warrior » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 23:34

Southernboy wrote:Being controversial is part of the act.... and perhaps the PC thing is a tad overdone in the UK. The Brits are too scared to exercise freedom of expression there on the grounds it may offend. Perhaps it's time for what's left of the British identity to come out and speak... I support the Aussie view - "This is the Aussie way, you're in Aussie by choice - if you don't like it, leave, but don't stay and tell me how terrible it is to live here"
Clarkson speaks his mind - mostly...he also likes to throw in a few unrefined comments about certain aspects relating to the norms of other nationalities and this is "un-cool" according to BBC protocol, and current sensitivities.
One of the defining aspects I've always admired about the Brits is their ability to laugh at themselves - many other nationalities lack this freedom of character.
Yesterday some black guys at the University in Cape Town threw human waste on a statue of Cecil Rhodes on the campus - their spokesman said it was a protest against what represents white elitist supremacy - what the prat doesn't get is the fact that the university is there because some white people decided that higher education was desirable, and he is enjoying the facility now as a student because it was white people who made that decision.
This describes the mentality which can be compared to the ISIS movement destroying their own history in Iraq and Syria..... It's time for people to make a stand against mindless ignorance outright stupidity, and put an end to apologist drivel to those groups who feel inferior by virtue of their own inabilities and choose not to accept the benefits they are offered to raise themselves. Why should any nation apologise to an immigrant because he can't find his preferred social environment - no one forced him to emigrate, and if his choice is to live in the UK or anywhere outside of his native culture, then he should have considered that reality before making the move. I wouldn't emigrate to Mexico, Greece or Iran simply based on the fact that that their native culture isn't likely to agree with my native being...but if I chose to go there, I must accept their norms wholeheartedly and integrate myself. I find it unsurprising to see news items on the abuse of young girls and women in certain UK towns and cities perpetrated largely by immigrants from middle east countries where if they behaved that way, they would as likely as not loose their heads if not other body parts.... The "freedom" from that cultural threat enjoyed in the UK gives them licence to behave like barbarians and PC is their war cry if anyone describes them for what they are.
It should be conditional on application to live in the UK that Pork sausages are eaten at least 3 times a week and bacon the other four days of the week - that might discourage a few prats from arriving uninvited....and no Ninja outfits allowed as Clarkson would say .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Out of interest do you hold similar views about the tens of thousands of Brits that have taken their money to Spain to establish little England wherever its possible to get Coronation Street via satellite?

Del
Joined: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 18:35
Posts: 2122

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Del » Thu 12 Mar, 2015 23:49

A rather incredible 800,000 + now signed the online petition to reinstate him and surprise support from the Prime Minister - we may be able to enjoy the Sunday episode after all :)

bertiejaffa
Joined: Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:28
Posts: 1725

  M roadster S50
Location: Manchester

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by bertiejaffa » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 02:45

Facts are facts, top gear, in the new format that JC invented, is BBC's biggest grossing export

Plus, have you ever tried watching fifth gear? A programme that was designed to replace top gear and be (and is) a pure consumer programme - Jesus Christ it is dull.

Top gear is entertainment with cars thrown in... It doesn't claim to be anything else and the reason it is what it is these days is because it was canned when it was just a consumer program for being dull!

The fact is that

1. all 3 presenters are up for contract renewal after this series so If they don't re-instate him, they can all take the show elsewhere.

2. The fact that they have suspended him, why do 8-10million people have to lose the last 3 episodes of top gear? Especially as it is BBC... I pay my tv fee.... I expect the programme to be aired

3. They say he is on his last chance because XYZ that he has done... Are they saying that the show is not reviewed prior to release? Well it is taped on a Wednesday and broadcast on a Sunday, so that gives them plenty of time to edit/cut/refilm any of the studio parts.... Then consider the fact that the things he is accused of (prior to this) that have put him on the "final warning" are in pre-taped expeditions which have even longer to be edited and approved, therefore surely any of the so called offensive items should have been removed already? If they haven't then it is surely constructive dismissal.....

He is, as they say, marmite.... But I like him. I like the show. I find fifth gear dull, I find top gear fun. If I am looking for new car (eg an SUV) and want to know how a Kia Sportage drives compares to a ford kuga or an x5 I will google and then drive one and compare it against something I can afford in the same bracket; cos I know I won't get the information off top gear; top gear (and Clarkson) are entertainment... They are the not Parkers guides to new cars

Put him back, put them all back, loony halfwits that don't like him just turn over and leave the other 10 million of us to enjoy our 1 hour a week
Here come the girls.....
Image
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal

Ci
Joined: Fri 28 Nov, 2003 17:08
Posts: 226

  Z3 roadster 1.9
Location: East Dorset

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Ci » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 10:49

JC is a prima donna. Sold his stake in TG in recent years. He's looking for a way out with a massive pay off.
I mean to go fisty cuffs over a supper? Burk... But a clever, charismatic one, who's let his looks go.
Ci

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2727

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by gookah » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 11:15

The likes of Cameron Diaz, Jeff Goldblum, Tom Cruise, Jay Leno, Hugh Jackman, Lewis Hamilton, ....etc etc. have never clammoured to get on 5th Gear.
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 11:55

Warrior wrote:
Out of interest do you hold similar views about the tens of thousands of Brits that have taken their money to Spain to establish little England wherever its possible to get Coronation Street via satellite?


I'll wager those Brits living in Spain don't make an issue of the fact that the Spanish don't adopt their norms etc... They also aren't likely to be part of the social problems of Spain....also, they have taken their money there and set up home, not arrived and demanded they be taken care of..... It's all about some groups having issues about their own lack of abilities, and blaming others when they can't get ahead under their own steam. I have no sympathy for the "refugees" who arrive by the boat load.... if they can't improve their lives within their own national cultures, do they really expect it to be easier within a "foreign culture"...they've probably been watching too much Top Gear, and imagine that normal life is something like TV fantasy.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

Del
Joined: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 18:35
Posts: 2122

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Del » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 13:53

II never take the z3 to funny foreign countries where they neither speak the Queen's English nor understand cricket :D

User avatar
Buz007
Joined: Fri 16 Jul, 2010 21:18
Posts: 244

  Z3 roadster 1.9
Location: Leeds

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Buz007 » Sat 14 Mar, 2015 22:23

Top gear is the only thing I watch on TV. Gutted clarkson has been suspended. Hopefully it will be reinstated soon.


And by the way. I would vote for Southernboy. Extremely well put that man 8-)
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''

User avatar
mwpe
Joined: Wed 05 May, 2010 18:55
Posts: 183

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Camberley

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by mwpe » Sun 15 Mar, 2015 14:51

And by the way. I would vote for Southernboy. Extremely well put that man 8-)[/quote]

Hear hear,Barry for PM :cheers

Wavesong
Joined: Sun 21 Dec, 2014 18:46
Posts: 89

  Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Wavesong » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:04

Southernboy, glad to see someone has the balls to say it how it is. :D

Warrior
Joined: Tue 11 May, 2010 11:02
Posts: 382

  Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Warrior » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 22:16

Southernboy wrote:Warrior wrote:
Out of interest do you hold similar views about the tens of thousands of Brits that have taken their money to Spain to establish little England wherever its possible to get Coronation Street via satellite?


I'll wager those Brits living in Spain don't make an issue of the fact that the Spanish don't adopt their norms etc... They also aren't likely to be part of the social problems of Spain....also, they have taken their money there and set up home, not arrived and demanded they be taken care of..... It's all about some groups having issues about their own lack of abilities, and blaming others when they can't get ahead under their own steam. I have no sympathy for the "refugees" who arrive by the boat load.... if they can't improve their lives within their own national cultures, do they really expect it to be easier within a "foreign culture"...they've probably been watching too much Top Gear, and imagine that normal life is something like TV fantasy.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah, the old they take their money there argument! :) Buy a cheap property, tell your friends who do the same, push prices through the roof and displace the next generation of locals who can no longer afford to live within the same area as their kith and kin. Ok to displace people as long as we have money.
Brits abroad chasing sunshine and splendour or refugees seeking food and safety. Not a difficult choice of conscience to make surely?

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 06:58

My point is, in one scenario, the "migrants" add value - in the other they degrade value - and not simply financial value. I'm fairly sure the Spaniard selling his property is not put off by rising property values driven by the immigrant demand, or the incomes earned by the various industries as a result of the British money being spent, or the extra jobs being created etc etc... The British immigrants don't create a tax burden on the Spanish, they don't create "no-go" areas of violence and crime, they aren't in queues waiting for handouts financed by the tax paying Spanish people, they don't burn and loot to express displeasure. My conscience isn't "naive" - poverty and struggle is a permanent condition of humanity - it won't go away by providing "free financing" to sustain it, that will only encourage those who are intrinsically less able to gravitate to wherever they find PC societies which offer them something they don't have to work for.
PC in that respect, is a case of those who have feeling guilty about their relative comfort - you choose to call it conscience and that is naive. Better you should thank your forebears for creating the circumstances you find yourself blessed with even if those forebears did it in a non PC manner.
The world has changed since the days of slavery, piracy, colonisation etc etc, but before the British Empire, there were hundreds of years of domestic slavery in the form of institutionalised law in Britain. Those lords of the land suppressed their own populations into indentured labour... the result was a nation of people who have shown their metal against the likes of Nazi Germany, the Spanish and the French, the Vikings etc etc.
The history of the British nation isn't a history of PC.. like nature, it's red in tooth and claw - that is what makes a nation and never apologise for what you have achieved - you still speak English - not French, German or Spanish.
The British - fortunately - didn't have another nation of people to offer them "free" housing, medical, education legal aid etc etc etc... if they did, they might have been a nation of beggars vs the nation they became.
I don't advocate the deliberate disregard of the less fortunate, but I do ask that those less fortunate at least be grateful for the blessing of opportunities they feel they didn't have in their native countries, and not abuse the host.
I often hear the "war cry" of "an end to world poverty" - that is naivety on a grand scale. The simple truth is to be found in the very first issue of National Geographic where an American "explorer" on an adventure to find the source of the Congo river in Africa made the observation of the indigenous peoples:- " These people will never amount to much. They have a climate which requires few clothes, an abundance of food to hand, and a land so vast that all have a place to live. They have no incentive for development". What he failed to foresee was the development of the "industrial" nations and that those peoples who had it all would come to demand the fruits of the "developed" nations - for free.
For some "charity begins at home" for others "charity begins in someone else's home" - and if you don't like the charity offered, it's your right to demand better charity.... PC is not a one sided arrangement - well, not for me.
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

User avatar
Buz007
Joined: Fri 16 Jul, 2010 21:18
Posts: 244

  Z3 roadster 1.9
Location: Leeds

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Buz007 » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:04

Brilliant
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''

gookah
Z Register member
Joined: Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:51
Posts: 2727

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by gookah » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:43

smoked..... :D
Image

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..

Del
Joined: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 18:35
Posts: 2122

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Del » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 11:08

I'm a TG and JC fan but as it now seems to be emerging he did punch the producer (and the producer did not complain), I would suggest a public apology to the said producer plus a sizable payment for the distress caused. The young producer involved is reported to have loved the job and considered it a dream job and so is unlikely to want the whole thing to end. Clarkson should be sent on some form of "course" to tick the PC action list (similar to Luis Suarez at Liverpool). We can then continue to enjoy a laddish programme about three blokes messing around in nice cars. :D

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 11:32

......"Anger Management"........

Hey.... maybe a good "snotsquirt" is better for some people than sending them for "councelling"...:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

Warrior
Joined: Tue 11 May, 2010 11:02
Posts: 382

  Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Warrior » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 18:17

Southernboy wrote:My point is, in one scenario, the "migrants" add value - in the other they degrade value - and not simply financial value. I'm fairly sure the Spaniard selling his property is not put off by rising property values driven by the immigrant demand, or the incomes earned by the various industries as a result of the British money being spent, or the extra jobs being created etc etc... The British immigrants don't create a tax burden on the Spanish, they don't create "no-go" areas of violence and crime, they aren't in queues waiting for handouts financed by the tax paying Spanish people, they don't burn and loot to express displeasure. My conscience isn't "naive" - poverty and struggle is a permanent condition of humanity - it won't go away by providing "free financing" to sustain it, that will only encourage those who are intrinsically less able to gravitate to wherever they find PC societies which offer them something they don't have to work for.
PC in that respect, is a case of those who have feeling guilty about their relative comfort - you choose to call it conscience and that is naive. Better you should thank your forebears for creating the circumstances you find yourself blessed with even if those forebears did it in a non PC manner.
The world has changed since the days of slavery, piracy, colonisation etc etc, but before the British Empire, there were hundreds of years of domestic slavery in the form of institutionalised law in Britain. Those lords of the land suppressed their own populations into indentured labour... the result was a nation of people who have shown their metal against the likes of Nazi Germany, the Spanish and the French, the Vikings etc etc.
The history of the British nation isn't a history of PC.. like nature, it's red in tooth and claw - that is what makes a nation and never apologise for what you have achieved - you still speak English - not French, German or Spanish.
The British - fortunately - didn't have another nation of people to offer them "free" housing, medical, education legal aid etc etc etc... if they did, they might have been a nation of beggars vs the nation they became.
I don't advocate the deliberate disregard of the less fortunate, but I do ask that those less fortunate at least be grateful for the blessing of opportunities they feel they didn't have in their native countries, and not abuse the host.
I often hear the "war cry" of "an end to world poverty" - that is naivety on a grand scale. The simple truth is to be found in the very first issue of National Geographic where an American "explorer" on an adventure to find the source of the Congo river in Africa made the observation of the indigenous peoples:- " These people will never amount to much. They have a climate which requires few clothes, an abundance of food to hand, and a land so vast that all have a place to live. They have no incentive for development". What he failed to foresee was the development of the "industrial" nations and that those peoples who had it all would come to demand the fruits of the "developed" nations - for free.
For some "charity begins at home" for others "charity begins in someone else's home" - and if you don't like the charity offered, it's your right to demand better charity.... PC is not a one sided arrangement - well, not for me.
On the very day that the National Crime Agency has released a list of most-wanted fugitives believed to be hiding in Spain you talk of refugees bringing trouble to our streets! :D

Of course the selfless Spaniard won't be worrying about rising costs but just as it did when affluent city dwellers sought second homes in the villages of Cambridgeshire the offspring of families who's roots went back many generations could no longer live in the area in which they were raised. Not such a problem with a decent transport system and a wide range of employment opportunities for those who aspire but not so great when your very being is steeped in farming, family and community. But hey Mr Spaniard we're bringing money! :wink:

I don't need a history lesson to make sense of man's indifference to man and will agree to a point that cultural differences bring many challenges, some that we may never learn to live with or overcome, if indeed we should have to consider such but I can tell you that your sweeping denigration of refugees who have flown to the candle that burns the brightest, the United Kingdom, is misplaced. Charity is not about wearing a red nose once a year and flipping 50p into a bucket to appease one's conscience it's about a basic instinct to help one's fellow man or *woman (*when they've finished the housework)...

Something for consideration that i've not yet had a reasonable answer to when debating similar subjects down the pub. Does the term refugee relate to downtrodden ransacked individuals and families carrying their worldly goods in canvas sacks strapped to their backs whilst preying on the generosity of the taxpayer also apply to an intelligent leggy blonde Ukrainian 'rocket' with huge tits? If it does could you please advise one of my mates who's view about migrants has changed from Alf Garnett to Pope Francis in just a few months :wink:

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 20:04

.......as I said - charity begins at home.... and my definition of a refugee isn't in question, that is your description of a migrant which is designed to engender sympathy.
I am describing the migrants who see the bright light of opportunity to be an abusive and parasitical creature. Every society has them within their own native population - why magnify the responsibility when taking care of your own is already a challenge. In other words - immigration controls need qualifications which are social behaviour, financial / skills etc attributes which will contribute to the adopted country. If you advocate that all your own people should be worse off to assuage your conscience, scrap immigration control completely - what you save annually by retrenching a few thousand border officials won't cover a month of social welfare costs when the deluge arrives.
Discrimination isn't an ugly thing... I see many blonde, attractive women, but I know myself and can choose what might suit me - I am discriminate.... and she needn't be blonde........ in that regard, I'm indiscriminate... but whatever her looks, if she doesn't have the character to contribute to a shared life, my interest is null - I have a head on my shoulders first, the little one in my shorts isn't my guide and less so my master....
I have compassion for humans, but don't abuse it - that is discrimination on the part of the abuser and his attitude engenders discrimination. Humans have rules of engagement - reciprocosity is a basic tool we use in relationships with others . you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours - when someone breaches that arrangement it results in feelings of having been duped or cheated, and resentment is the outcome. In it's most common manifestation within society those type of people are called "con artists".... they include the ones who cheat your heart as much as cheat your pocket and the social community within a group ... their behaviour is anti-social - and definitely not PC... Mother Theresa would agree with you though and six billion others are just trying to get through life as best they can with the burdens they have chosen for themselves- personally I have no quarter with giving anyone a leg up, but don't jump on my back if you don't like the level of help I can afford and demand I take responsibility for your inability to get on your hind legs and make something good for yourself which is honest.
There are those who earn their living carrying out activities which I choose not to do or don't have the interest and ability to do, and I am grateful that they are there to do for me... that includes doctors, dentists, firemen, latrine executives ( not PC to call them "can jockeys"...)...etc etc. Every one who fits in is appreciated - they are all scratching my back within the framework of a community - I scratch their backs and include them in my personal group / community... I will help them where I can according to my means and ability as they help me according to their means and ability - a sound symbiotic relationship.... and if you can't do your bit to fit in - I shan't apologise for my effort to help you.
I'm not so naive as to imagine the predator in society doesn't exist - it's what makes the reciprocal arrangement in a community so effective - and communities respond negatively to the abuse of that rule, or they cower under the guilt of PC norms currently expounded...... and finally here's a truth you should learn - you can shave all the fur off a leopard - but he still has his spots. (actually they have rosettes - but you get my meaning).... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

the_youth
Joined: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 23:27
Posts: 185

  M roadster S50

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by the_youth » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 20:55

WOW!
Who would have thought Jeremy Clarkson would have sparked such an intellectual debate with reasoned and educated arguments from both sides! Surely he'd be aghast!

I'm a TopGear fan. I don't care that it isn't a consumer focused programme or that people say it has reduced to cheap laughs or stupid stunts. It is entertainment. It's fun and games which happens to involve cars some of us can only dream of owning. But isn't that the point? Sunday night viewing before returning to the dull day to day of working life?

I don't care if he sails close to the wind with his comments or how people may interpret what he says. You hear worse everyday. There is a lot more crap spoken and cringe worthy behaviour during Prime Ministers question time in the Houses of Parliament.

User avatar
Southernboy
Joined: Thu 07 Oct, 2010 13:39
Posts: 6312

  Z3 roadster 3.0i
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Southernboy » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 03:53

Well said "THE_YOUTH"..... :wink:

....and the debate with Warrior is about as fruitful as an alchemist's laboratory... transmutations of base metals to gold just can't be realised.... but there are always some who are willing to believe. A case not of the Philosopher's Stone, but more likely the "philosophers stoned"....... :geek:
"Normal is overrated"
Image

Z3 Upgrades and Additions

Warrior
Joined: Tue 11 May, 2010 11:02
Posts: 382

  Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Warrior » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 18:00

Southernboy wrote:.......as I said - charity begins at home.... and my definition of a refugee isn't in question, that is your description of a migrant which is designed to engender sympathy.
I am describing the migrants who see the bright light of opportunity to be an abusive and parasitical creature. Every society has them within their own native population - why magnify the responsibility when taking care of your own is already a challenge. In other words - immigration controls need qualifications which are social behaviour, financial / skills etc attributes which will contribute to the adopted country. If you advocate that all your own people should be worse off to assuage your conscience, scrap immigration control completely - what you save annually by retrenching a few thousand border officials won't cover a month of social welfare costs when the deluge arrives.
Discrimination isn't an ugly thing... I see many blonde, attractive women, but I know myself and can choose what might suit me - I am discriminate.... and she needn't be blonde........ in that regard, I'm indiscriminate... but whatever her looks, if she doesn't have the character to contribute to a shared life, my interest is null - I have a head on my shoulders first, the little one in my shorts isn't my guide and less so my master....
I have compassion for humans, but don't abuse it - that is discrimination on the part of the abuser and his attitude engenders discrimination. Humans have rules of engagement - reciprocosity is a basic tool we use in relationships with others . you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours - when someone breaches that arrangement it results in feelings of having been duped or cheated, and resentment is the outcome. In it's most common manifestation within society those type of people are called "con artists".... they include the ones who cheat your heart as much as cheat your pocket and the social community within a group ... their behaviour is anti-social - and definitely not PC... Mother Theresa would agree with you though and six billion others are just trying to get through life as best they can with the burdens they have chosen for themselves- personally I have no quarter with giving anyone a leg up, but don't jump on my back if you don't like the level of help I can afford and demand I take responsibility for your inability to get on your hind legs and make something good for yourself which is honest.
There are those who earn their living carrying out activities which I choose not to do or don't have the interest and ability to do, and I am grateful that they are there to do for me... that includes doctors, dentists, firemen, latrine executives ( not PC to call them "can jockeys"...)...etc etc. Every one who fits in is appreciated - they are all scratching my back within the framework of a community - I scratch their backs and include them in my personal group / community... I will help them where I can according to my means and ability as they help me according to their means and ability - a sound symbiotic relationship.... and if you can't do your bit to fit in - I shan't apologise for my effort to help you.
I'm not so naive as to imagine the predator in society doesn't exist - it's what makes the reciprocal arrangement in a community so effective - and communities respond negatively to the abuse of that rule, or they cower under the guilt of PC norms currently expounded...... and finally here's a truth you should learn - you can shave all the fur off a leopard - but he still has his spots. (actually they have rosettes - but you get my meaning).... :wink:
You have only to reflect on one's formative years where, in my school at least, some of the pupils through their own fault, through the genetically passed or trained behaviour of their parents or for the fact that they were simply dumb, stupid, ugly, sociallly inept etc., etc., would never amount to much. Any amount of threats, motivation, coercion, bribery, ladders of opportunity, praise, open doors even financial reward could never turn them into something they hadn't the ability to become. Qualities that can in one way or another be attributed to many sectors of society be they immigrants or eg., the unemployed and setting parameters based on what you/we may like takes little account of such facts.

User avatar
Koolflyer
Joined: Fri 05 Jul, 2013 16:51
Posts: 574

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Koolflyer » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 18:30

Oh for God's sake this is getting tedious and I'm falling asleep!........anybody want to talk about Z3's instead? :head: :lol:
Last edited by Koolflyer on Wed 18 Mar, 2015 19:03, edited 3 times in total.
Image
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White

User avatar
Davejue1
Joined: Sun 22 Sep, 2013 08:25
Posts: 1249

  Z3 roadster 2.8
Location: Mansfield

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Post by Davejue1 » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 19:00

Koolflyer wrote:Oh for God's sake this is getting tedious and I'm falling asleep!........anybody want to talk about Z3's instead? :head: :head:
Pete, this isn't like you! Calm yourself down a bit lol! Although I whole hearty agree with you!
Image

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests