Seat occupancy sensor

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
jonzee

Z3 roadster 1.9

Seat occupancy sensor

Post by jonzee »

Hi
I am swapping the complete metal bases from my pre facelift cloth seats to a pair of post facelift leather seats.
My question, is the passenger seat occupancy sensor the same on both type seats
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Seat occupancy sensor

Post by Dino D »

I'm not sure but if you have any issues you can get a bypass plug from eBay that will ensure the airbag works all the time...
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

as a newbe what does the switch look like as my air bag light is on so I need to take the seat out to check underneath, I assume you need to disconnect the battery first to stop any thing going off
peter2b
jonzee

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jonzee »

Hi
The sensor is located at the back of the seat base and is bolted to the seat not the frame.
Reference your airbag light when mine came on for no apparent reason ie had not taken seat out to do any work etc it turned out to be the drivers seat belt pretensioner that was faulty, easy fix code reset and no problems since.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

thanks for that tip
peter
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

peter2b wrote:I assume you need to disconnect the battery first to stop any thing going off
peter2b
The important thing is to not turn on the ignition when the connector is disconnected. If you turn on the ignition with the connector disconnected, the airbag light will be illuminated until it is reset.

Thinking about it, you need power to move the seat back and forward to get to the nuts.

After removing the nuts, remove the key from the ignition before disconnecting the electrics under the seat.
Pingu
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just taken the drivers seat out after removing the bolts/nuts , i disconnected the battery - key out, what surprised me was how little rust the was on the sub frame , very dry foam and the paint underneath was in perfect condition , Ive put some grease on the seat up/down threads touched up some chips on the seat base frame , all the wiring seams to be OK no snags or signs of rubbing, I cant believe how good a condition she is seeing as she is in her early teens a lot better than my mondeo, refitting the seat in the morning when the paint is dry and some copper grease on the bolts/nuts , as a bonus i found 5p under the seat, then plug in the gadget that i got last week to clear the air bag light
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just plug in my b800 code reader got code40 which according to the code list is firing circuit,
belt tensioner, rear left, where abouts would that be on the passenger seat ?
peter2b