Code readers not communicating.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Code readers not communicating.

Post by gas guzzler »

I have two Z3's both with warning lights on, and both needing MOT's. ABS light on one turned out to be the pump knackered so has been sent off for rebuild. The other one has the air bag light on so I splashed out and bought a Creator C310, I already have a B800, but neither seem to want to communicate about the air bag problem, any suggestions?
Cheers Andy
Andy

1999 Z3 2.8 RED, back with me
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Code readers not communicating.

Post by colb »

Just a thought where are you plugging the B800 airbag reader, pacman socket in engine bay or 16pin OBD2 socket in the car if you have one fitted?

B800 will only work on airbag system using the engine bay pacman socket.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

How did you did diagnose the ABS pump failure? I've just fostered my brother's Z3 and want to get it back on the road after a lay off. It had an intermittent ABS warning light before it came off the road. Our concern is if it's the pump rather than a faulty sensor it could be an expensive barrier.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

mrscalex wrote:How did you did diagnose the ABS pump failure? I've just fostered my brother's Z3 and want to get it back on the road after a lay off. It had an intermittent ABS warning light before it came off the road. Our concern is if it's the pump rather than a faulty sensor it could be an expensive barrier.

You need to get the fault codes read to diagnoise ABS faults.

We had the ABS warning coming on intermittently and it was a faulty wheel sensor - it turned out to be a dirty wheel sensor and after I cleaned it the ABS reset itself. On my 2.8 the ABS light was intermittently on and this became more frequent and it turned out to be the pump, generally it is not the actual pump but the controller that is faulty. I managed to get one from someone who was breaking an E46 with the same ABS pump - Details Here
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

colb wrote:Just a thought where are you plugging the B800 airbag reader, pacman socket in engine bay or 16pin OBD2 socket in the car if you have one fitted?

B800 will only work on airbag system using the engine bay pacman socket.

Colb
Ok that could be the problem then, been plugging the B800 into the 0BD2 in car socket, will give it a go tomorrow
Cheers
mrscalex wrote:How did you did diagnose the ABS pump failure? I've just fostered my brother's Z3 and want to get it back on the road after a lay off. It had an intermittent ABS warning light before it came off the road. Our concern is if it's the pump rather than a faulty sensor it could be an expensive barrier.
A BMW mechanic kindly put a code reader on it before I got mine, it had been going off and on for ages but I had thought it was a sensor turned out to be the pump, something to do with pressure. To have it rebuilt is going to be about £230.
Andy

mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I think what I really meant to ask was are the error codes enough to tie down whether it's the wheel sensor, ABS pump or ABS control module. Or is some trial and error required.

Having read a few old posts now it looks like it's not an exact science.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

AFAIK the only codes for ABS are wheel sensors (one code for each wheel) and one for the pump (which also covers the associated control circuitry).

If the light goes off and then comes back on again periodically, then it is most likely a dirty wheel sensor. If it stays on all the time, then it is either an open circuit to a wheel sensor, dead sensor or failed pump/control board. You do really need to read the actual codes, as that tells you why the light has come on (it doesn't always tell you the exact problem though).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Understood thanks Robert T. I've got code reading kit on the way.
ImageImage
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

I'm either being dim or blind, or possibly both, but can't find a socket under the bonnet to plug the B800 into. Can someone tell me where it is please.
Andy

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It is either on the left by the fuse box, or on the right by the battery jump start terminal. It has a round cap on it that you need to unscrew.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Here you go. For the M54 engine but the 2.8 is similar.

Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Thanks for replies, I was being dim, didn't think to unscrew that didn't know what it was. Will have a go tomorrow.
Cheers
Andy

gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Well found the socket and it worked, in as much as it told me the fault. Fault code 21 which is 'sensor, side airbag, right, line fault' Which I presume is the door air bag. unfortunately the B800 won't clear it so looks as if I'm still going to have to take it to a garage.
Andy

Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

That will be the connector under the seat for the seat belt tensioner or occupancy sensor. The wiring connector can become loose when moving the seat. Have a look for the threads on here somewhere about airbag lights.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
gas guzzler

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gas guzzler »

Been rather busy with other things so not had time to work on this, but have recently had this diagnosed on a laptop and it told me what I already knew 'fault right side, drivers door air bag', fault couldn't be cleared. I've had the seats out checked the wires and connectors (very wet under there) and now had the door panel off and checked wires and connectors, all seem okay. Also tried one of those by-pass things, made no difference. Question is would the actual air bag have a fault, would this be likely or could there be a fault elsewhere?
Cheers Andy

Just been on ebay and seen this, which looks the same as the sensor under the drivers seat/carpet attached to the cross member, and as I can't see a sensor anywhere else is this the side air bag sensor or do all Z3s have this one?
Andy