Hooked wrench for Z3 hard-top adjustment.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hooked wrench for Z3 hard-top adjustment.

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there. Can anyone help me with acquiring a BMW Hooked Wrench. I was thinking perhaps a past owner that had one that has ended up just being put-away with other redundant tools.
I nearly had a Thrombi when I rang my local BMW dealership and was told - Yes we can still supply you with one of those BUT in exchange for the princely sum of a few coppers short of £25.00.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Re: Hooked wrench for Z3 hard-top adjustment.

Post by Thesurveyor »

It's easy to adjust the hard top fixings once it is off the car, you don't really need this to undo the locking nut. Well I didn't.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Thesurveyor wrote:It's easy to adjust the hard top fixings once it is off the car, you don't really need this to undo the locking nut. Well I didn't.
Hi The Surveyor. I do not wish to adjust the hood whilst it is off of the car. I wish to make small adjustments whilst it is one - as it currently is,albeit I am going to remove it and store it for the Spring,Summer and early/mid Autumn again.

I am experiencing intermittent knocking that appears to be coming from the region of the hard top at the sides towards the rear.
The buffers are in place and it feels tight-down but I would prefer to adjust whilst on the car.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Make sure you have the spacer gauge before adjusting it

Sent from Boysie via tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Boysie wrote:Make sure you have the spacer gauge before adjusting it

Sent from Boysie via tapatalk
Hi Boysie. The top was originally fitted for me but it appeared to be slightly tilted at the rear line and not running parallel to the rear top panel ahead of the boot lid.

I, as such do not have a spacer gauge but I am sure that one or a substitute can be made. I do have all of the blur that came with the hardtop as to the fitting of it.
The noise that I can hear has been since I made a slight adjustment ( possibly only 2mm) to the high side to bring it down for parallel.
Everything locked down again and with no apparent movement but I can hear banging/knocking on rough surfaces.

I intend getting rear bushes/linkages checked out in the next couple of days during a four wheel alignment check. I am getting some wicked tram-lining with the original/standard size wheels and tyres on the car.
I am running Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 225/50 ZR16's front and rear. I was previously told that the Goodyear NCT Eagles were notorious for tram-lining and looked for an alternate tyre.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi
I believe the gap on the gauge is approx
4mm, tramlining is usually the tires
I tried my hardtop for a very short time, a few days
I'm not keen on it, the look is great but I want
a soft top I rarely have the top up, even garaged
It's down
Enjoy :-)
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi again Boysie. I have a set (4),again original and mint 16" wheels but with Goodyear Eagle F1's all around. The tread pattern is as the Maxxis MA-Z1's and like the Maxxis they are directional.
It has been suggested that perhaps going to a slightly wider pair of boots on the rear but sticking with the same rims would not only improve the slightly empty look of the rear arches but along with a four-wheel alignment; could see an end to the tram-lining.

My only concern in that department is the fact that the car is Auto.
The Goodyear Eagle F1's albeit they are the same size/profile (by numbers) are a slightly lower visible profile albeit by 5mm from a common point to the edge of the rim.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I have a set of spacers and a hook spanner which I can loan to you, but they must come back for the benefit of other members. PM me your address and I will post them to you when I get a chance.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Robert T wrote:I have a set of spacers and a hook spanner which I can loan to you, but they must come back for the benefit of other members. PM me your address and I will post them to you when I get a chance.

Cheers R.
Hi Robert. That is very nice of you to offer,I will keep it in mind. The hardtop is coming off in the next couple of days but not entirely sure when and will not be going back on until possibly the back-end of October/early November.

I am one of those people that would much prefer to have my own kit - just me !!!

Regards,

John.