3.0L =- what tyres?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

3.0L =- what tyres?

Post by burmagirl »

Hello all

the zed has failed the MOT on its rear tyres - last time I was lucky enough to find some f1 Gsd3s but no luck this time. I see there are two types of the Goodyear asymmetrical, which are people using? Are they as good as the GS-D3 - or are the Falkens better?

There's an advisory on the front tyres so I'll have to replace those before long - has anyone run a rear and front combo with the GSD3s?

thank you

burmagirl
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 3.0L =- what tyres?

Post by Brian4 »

Those F1 gsd3 are directional tyres and zeds were designed to run on assymetrical tyres and mostly came with Conti sport contact 3 fitted. I have heard some good reports on Falken 914 tyres £60 ish from online suppliers
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The Z3 may have had a select few tyres fitted from the factory, but I doubt it was designed with any particular type of tyre in mind.

The F1 GSD3 aren't great on the Z3 though, they are ok, but better on lighter cars. The Assy 1 is a great tyre though, really really good, had them on my Coupe for a good few years and they wore really well, handled in the dry and wet excellent. The Assy 2 I don't rate nearly as high though, so if you can get the original Asymmetrics I'd recommend those.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Thanks very much c_w and Brian

I don't know what they came from the factory with, as both mine have been secondhand; it's interesting you should say what you do about the F1s as they have been great on both cars. I have dithered before over getting the Falkens so I might try them - I thought it was the 452s though, is the 914 new? - or go with the asymmetrics.

When I got the 3.0 it came with some tyres called Marshalls, which I'd never heard of. I got the garage to change them for F1s before I picked the car up, the test drive was terrifying. The previous owner had only done about 50 miles in not, not really surprising!
saturdaygig

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by saturdaygig »

I'm using Goodyear Eagle LS2 - the all season ones. I think if you're using the same tyres year round it's the way to go.
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

Just replaced with Avon ZV5's all round from National.............and I am very pleased with them, quiet & comfortable & plenty of grip and no tramlining. :thumb:
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

saturdaygig wrote:I'm using Goodyear Eagle LS2 - the all season ones. I think if you're using the same tyres year round it's the way to go.
I could probably answer my own question with a search, but do these have the same tyre pattern as the GSD3s? They seem to work really well at funnelling the water away, in heavy rain.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Have used Goodyear all 3 variants, Michelin ps2,Hankook v12evo,yokohama ao46,Toyo t1r, all on a 450hp evo but have been using Uniroyal rainsport 3 exclusively on the evo, alfa GTV and z3 for the past year. Amazing wet grip and excellent dry. Camskill tyres have excellent prices.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Now you can see why fitting weird tyres is not a good idea! This is no doubt why some owners reckon that the Z3 is 'tail happy.'

Factory fit varied between Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental Contact Sport, Dunlop, and Pirelli. Dunlop and Pirelli seemed to be poor choices, Michelin and Continental good tyres but expensive.

What you fit depends to a great extent on the depth of your pockets, but for the last 15 years I have been using Falken, in FK-451, 452, and 453 guises. They cost about £350 a set in 17 inch sizes, are vice-free, provide lots of grip in all temperatures, dry or wet, and last for abouit 30k front and 25 k rear. Like most most high speed tyres they would be useless in snow, due to their low-noise tread, but apart from that they are good all-rounders.

I run them at 2.5 bar all round for best steering response, and find that the car has more grip than I have courage/stupidity, and behaves in a very predictable manner, with a shade of intial understeer which becomes neutral with a light application of power, and no tail-happy traits.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
wheelsinheaven

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by wheelsinheaven »

Ive just fitted good year as a replacement to michelin. Didn't make a positive differance. You cant make a badly set up car handle well with just tyres. Sure, expensive tyre's usually give good grip, are longer lasting, and quieter. But mid priced tyres are probably adequate for standard z's in my opinion. Sounds like falken may be ok. I used them on another vehicle without complaint.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Falkens on my 3.0l. Replaced last year after a full wheel refurb.
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

Hmm, no luck finding asymmetrical 1s or the LS in my size (245/40), so in the end I went with the Assy 2s; the front tyres were still within the legal limit so I only needed rears. They feel fine but of course I haven't driven them in the wet, so far! I got them from oponeo, £85 each which seemed reasonable.

I did dither about the Falkens, Mike, as so many people have liked them over the years, but (as usual!) backed out in favour of Goodyear. What do you drive in the snow (are you still in France?)?

When I was checking sites for best price, I was surprised to find those Marshalls that came on this zed when I bought it were actually not far off the price of the Goodyears, not budget as I'd assumed. The garage I got it from did, at the time, sell a variety of sporty cars, and before I went for another zed I tested a lotus, a tvr tuscan, something I can't remember, and a couple of Porsches. Now the garage has changed hands and sells vans etc, what a shame.

I haven't come across the Uniroyals (other than hearing of the make).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sue
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Although the current FK-453 is although excellent in normal conditions including low temperatures, they would be useless in snow due to their circumferenial grooves without any lateral grooves - a typical modern low-noise tyre. If you want a tyre which works well in all conditons look at an all-seasons tyre.

We only get a day or two (nothing for the last two years) of snow, when use our FK-452-shod Golf GTD, or stay at home anyway! Retirement is wonderful . . .
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

burmagirl wrote:Hmm, no luck finding asymmetrical 1s or the LS in my size (245/40), so in the end I went with the Assy 2s; the front tyres were still within the legal limit so I only needed rears. They feel fine but of course I haven't driven them in the wet, so far! I got them from oponeo, £85 each which seemed reasonable.

I did dither about the Falkens, Mike, as so many people have liked them over the years, but (as usual!) backed out in favour of Goodyear. What do you drive in the snow (are you still in France?)?

When I was checking sites for best price, I was surprised to find those Marshalls that came on this zed when I bought it were actually not far off the price of the Goodyears, not budget as I'd assumed. The garage I got it from did, at the time, sell a variety of sporty cars, and before I went for another zed I tested a lotus, a tvr tuscan, something I can't remember, and a couple of Porsches. Now the garage has changed hands and sells vans etc, what a shame.

I haven't come across the Uniroyals (other than hearing of the make).

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sue
I think you may be changing those front tyres sooner than you think. I had Asy1s and 100% agree with C_W, a truly excellent tyre. Problem is they no longer do them in the rear (245/40/17) size so when it came time to change had to go with Asy2. Asy2 on the back and Asy1s on the front does not work at all. I just changed the front to Asy2 and all is good again.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

siwilson wrote:
I think you may be changing those front tyres sooner than you think. I had Asy1s and 100% agree with C_W, a truly excellent tyre. Problem is they no longer do them in the rear (245/40/17) size so when it came time to change had to go with Asy2. Asy2 on the back and Asy1s on the front does not work at all. I just changed the front to Asy2 and all is good again.
I must admit I don't use the zed if there's any snow, I got caught in a village a few miles away in January when there was a sudden snow/ice storm, it was only a couple of inches but it was quite scary getting back home! I've still got the GSD3s on the front atm, Si; it feels alright but they will need replacing very soon anyway. Trying to keep the cost down as at some point they are going to have to take the car apart to determine why my dsc and brake lights are on. It's not a sensor, it could be the CPU which is expensive but I had 4 months light-free from October to Jan (after going over a bump) and they only reappeared a few weeks ago, so it may be a loose connection. They still have to strip everything out though.

Sue