service lights

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
unclebob

Z3 roadster 1.9

service lights

Post by unclebob »

Hi all, made use of the nice weather today and managed to change my plugs , oil filter, air filter and fresh oil in my 1.9 m44 z3 . All went reasonably well but ran into problems when I tried to reset my service lights which are sitting at 3 lit at the moment . I followed the instructions on you tube and read some threads on this forum re the wire in number 7 and 19 holes in the diagnostic port but still 3 lights on .
My port doesn't look like the one in the video for the e36, when I take the cap of the holes are in the cap and pins are in the bottom half , both halves have wiring running elsewhere. I think I tried it both ways but question is do i use pins on the lower port or holes on the upper port for the fix ?
Also is this correct sequence : 1 - Set up wire either 7 & 19 holes or pins or 7 and ground .
2 - Turn ignition key to position 2 [ service lights are on but car not started ].
3 - Count 10 seconds and remove wire from port [ key still at position 2]
4 - Replace cap on diagnostics port and all lights should be on ?
Appreciate any help with this cheers guys.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: service lights

Post by Robert T »

Have a read of this thread and the one it links to: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=36360&

The photos on the linked page look like the connector on my car and AFAIK this is the same on all Z3's.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
unclebob

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by unclebob »

Thanks Robert , just checked out the pics on that link which led me to watch the two you tube vids on this again and I've just realised that the data link is on the drivers side but I was using what I thought was one on the passenger side ! wonder what that was ? . Will need to try it tomorrow , what a numpty ! Sorry about that . Think I need a Haynes book !.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

You can get a reset device on ebay for about £15 might save a lot of hassle :)
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

have used this for years, very easy to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Servic ... 4d30076941

or here if that one is sold by the time you see it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-Servic ... 3f48951e2f
unclebob

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by unclebob »

Thanks for the replies . Got it done this morning first time ! I'd been using the wrong port [one between the fuse box and brake fluid reservoir].
Doesn't say in the handbook what that one is for. Lesson for me to pay more attention to instructions rather than grazing !