Antii roll bar popped out

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Antii roll bar popped out

Post by Trevsky »

Just had the car in for Mot this morning and the tester found that the rear anti roll bar had popped out of its link on the near side. He managed to get it back in again and passed it but I wondered if anyone had heard of this happening before and what could have caused it, everything looked fine otherwise.
I do remember hearing a twang at the rear recently when attacking a roundabout a bit quickly but never heard of this happening.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Antii roll bar popped out

Post by Mike Fishwick »

This is a well-known problem on all Z3 and 318Ti Compact up to April 2000, and is even detailed in a BMW Service Instruction - these tell dealers what is wrong with their cars!

New ARB drop link being pressed into position

The answer is to fit two new drop links, the new ones having 'Boge' moulded into their rubber bushes. The are a very tight fit - even using the specified lubricant of rubbing alcohol - we call it surgical spirit (50% alcohol and olive oil) I had to press them onto the ARB in a vice. They should be aligned at an angle of (I think) 76 degrees to avoid excessive flexing of the rubber bushes when in their normal (not jacked up) position. See my description of the process in the Z3 Knowledgebase - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17598

The BMW TIS workshop manual tells us to mount the lubricated link in a vice, then press the end of the ARB against it and insert it into the bush, using a twisting motion . . . Perhaps a massive German could have done this with the original badly-fitting links, but not with the replacement type.
Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Thu 23 Apr, 2015 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

All suspension parts should be fitted so they are in an untwisted position when the car is sat on it's wheels in the normal position.
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Yes - I have just added a few words to explain why the ARB links shold be fitted at a 76 degree angle - the same consideration applies to tightening the bolts at the bottom of the rear dampers and the front ARB drop links.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

So do you advocate using genuine BMW parts rather than any other say off the internet, so they will have Boge on them?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Lemforder make the OE ones (and most of the other rubber bushes on the car) and they can be bought at http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/?gclid=C ... tAodpB8AEw
They cost less that £10 each (rear) and are indentical to the current OE and you can even see where the dual branding "BMW" mark has been rubbed off :D Fitted them on mine in 2012 and the rubber bush insert was embossed with the word "Boge".
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

Thanks for the help and advise guys.