Z3 Hood replacement - are the BMW dealers having a laugh

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Z3 Hood replacement - are the BMW dealers having a laugh

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there. Well it appears that my original 2000 (W) BMW Z3 black Mohair Hood has seen better days !!!!
The top edge along the rear screen and two of the corner radii have come out from under the trim strip and are reusing to tuck back in - even with my trimmers prying tool.

It is untidy and resembles a pair of raggy pants.

I have been ringing around and researching likely costs and the probability of a change of colour from Black to Blue,the car is Topaz Blue Metallic.

I near dropped Cork Legged when Halliwell Jones quoted me £1385.57 for the hood and £772.90 for fitting.

Fitting is generally between 6hrs and 7hrs of a job with even the most expensive local'ish after-market mohair hood (including fitting) costing £939.00 Vat inclusive.

A figure of £2153.47 from the people that should be able to do it with their eyes closed is a P*** T*** but the consolation is that the figure does include VAT :roll:
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 Hood replacement - are the BMW dealers having a laugh

Post by Tufarlian »

Just had a new blue hood on my Z3, supplied and fitted by The Softtop Shop
http://www.thesofttopshop.com/home

Excellent quality. Very pleased. Took 5 hours and he came to me to fit it. £599 supplied and fitted.

Paul is a good guy who knows what he's doing. No hesitation in recommending him.

Check out the website.

Cheers
Mark
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

I had my red hood replaced a couple of years ago. It was supplied by BMW by the original German manufacturer and took about 16 weeks to be delivered having to be specially made. I then had it fitted by the BMW fitter who was independent of the dealer and the cost of that was around £250. The hood was around £1200. So about £1400 -£1500 in total.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

I had mine replaced by Soft Tops in Croydon http://www.soft-tops.co.uk/ - £350 fitted, and done in only a few hours. Great craftsmanship and it's still holding strong almost 2 years later.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Did a lot of looking around over the past 12 months and last weekend (25/4) drove the 300 mile round trip to Croydon Soft Tops (as outlined by Xvar above). Had mine done in navy blue which looks fab against a silver car. His cost is now just £325 fitted.

I would agree that with most things in life you get what you pay for but this seems to be a definite exception. He uses best quality Haartz Twillfast which includes current-day, best quality DOT approved rear plastic screen. :) He has been fitting soft tops for years and done many Z3s - which he can fit in around 3-hours. There are several forum members who have used Croydon Soft Tops and been equally impressed.

http://www.haartz.com/exteriors/twillfast

http://www.soft-tops.co.uk/
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all again. Well thank you for your inputs on this subject and whilst the chap in Croydon is a very tempting proposition, the 500+ miles round trip is just a little bit of a no brainer and especially at 28mpg and a total trip time of some 14hrs provided there are no hiccups/hold-ups.

It appears that my two best options are the one in Stockport,Chesire or a one-man band in Blackpool,Lancashire.
Distance-wise there is nothing in-it and they are both very close on cost.

Has anyone used the Blackpool chap,he goes under the name of Advance Car Trimmers ?
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

I used the soft top shop in Croydon when I needed a new roof on my Golf GTi cabriolet a few years back and must say the service and quality of their roofs are second to none.

The roof frame around the rear window on mine had completely rotted through but couldn't be seen until the covering came off and the rear glass window had been removed..
The guy managed to source me a secondhand window framework for £50 which was as good as new and wouldn't take a penny extra for fitting it and I imagine if I had gone to VW for the same part it would of been 10 times the price.

Also in the meantime he managed to get the rear window back in and the old roof covering back on for me to use the car till the framework could be sourced..

I'm having a new window fitted to my original roof the week after next and if it can't be repaired properly the Z3 will be going straight to Croydon for a new roof as it's worth the 200 mile round trip.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The original soft-tops will be made in large factories on an industrial scale and probably 5%-10% will go into stock as spares. It will be a one-time production order. Once the stock is exhausted, the tops will be made to OEM patterns and specifications by small companies on very small production runs, probably made by hand.

Any BMW stock will have been kept folded in a warehouse for at least 13 years by now. The rear screens are kept flat and fitted separately.

I would use one of the companies like TheSoftTopShop as they make the hoods to a reverse-engineered pattern using materials that are the same (or may be better) than OEM. The only issue with these hoods is that the rear screen is sewn in. This will mean a deducted point for non-originality at a concours event and that the hood needs to be removed to replace the rear screen if it splits.

You should also ask if the price includes head-lining.
Pingu
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

pingu wrote:they make the hoods to a reverse-engineered pattern
- I agree, the Croydon fitter had like a "CNC" type bed and he said they were cut out to some precise computer programme.
pingu wrote:using materials that are the same (or may be better) than OEM.
- I agree, when we examined the new top before it was fitted, the Twillfast material being used felt heavier and thicker than the old 1998 one coming off my car.
pingu wrote: The only issue with these hoods is that the rear screen is sewn in
- I agree.
pingu wrote:at a concours event
- You need to spend £2,000 to avoid this problem.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Another Softtopshop voter here, Paul did a great job on mine last year :) Just over 600 quid.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi TitanTim. The top on your car looks absolutely stunning and it has the Pockets/relief vents as per the original - as is mine.

At present I cannot check as my Z3 is in Warrington having failed an MoT this morning with a broken NS rear spring. I am actually having two fitted,not just the one.

Is your rear screen slightly larger than the original size was ?

I am almost certainly going to use him as Stockport is close enough for me to go there or even possibly worth paying a little extra to have him come out to me.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Duplicated post has been edited out I must get a new tin of Raid and attack those blasted gremlins again.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi TitanTim. The top on your car looks absolutely stunning and it has the Pockets/relief vents as per the original - as is mine.

At present I cannot check as my Z3 is in Warrington having failed an MoT this morning with a broken NS rear spring. I am actually having two fitted,not just the one.

Is your rear screen slightly larger than the original size was ?

I am almost certainly going to use him as Stockport is close enough for me to go there or even possibly worth paying a little extra to have him come out to me.
Thanks.

Unsure re screen size, it does maybe look slightly larger but may be an optical effect of different hood colour.

I can thoroughly recommend Paul, he came down to me from Stockport to Staffs and didn't charge much petrol money. Fitting took about 4 and half hours including lubricating the hood frame and adjusting the hood catches so it locked tighter. Nice honest guy as I had also ordered an interior liner which can double the price but when he inspected mine said it didn't need replacing. Hood is completely water tight and no different to BMWs original. Only thing I do get which is annoying is white patches from hard water after washing but is easily brushed away. Didn't seem to get this with the original black hood which is strange.

Tim.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi Tim. I have spoken with Paul and almost certainly the work will be carried out end May/early June - he is very busy at present. I will be going over to him for an afternoon booking.

Interestingly,I asked him about the appearance of a larger screen and he has said that it is the same size as the BMW original - as is mine. Seemingly Paul uses a machined-in screen as opposed to the zip fitted one by BMW on the original fitments.

The appearance of a larger screen could be down to a slightly wider angle lens on the camera/camera-phone that was used for the image. The same effect of being close to a subject and slightly distorting the face/nose in portraiture photography.
He is unable to give me a blue lining as per my intended choice of hood,so my own - otherwise perfectly good black one will be reused.

The business of the white deposits/staining/dust is probably to do with either or both the salts that are used during the final processes of the fabric production and lime in the water albeit you say that previously it was not an issue.

I have recently been washing my Z3 by hand and rinsing off with rainwater in two plastic watering cans from my two rather large water butts.

Regards,

John.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Posted this some where else but i saw on flebay Soft Tops in Surrey are doing mohair z3 tops for about £365 in black and blue
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

peter2b wrote:Posted this some where else but i saw on flebay Soft Tops in Surrey are doing mohair z3 tops for about £365 in black and blue
peter2b
Hi Peter. Yes but that will be supply only.

There is another company,again on E'bay, they will supply for £333.00

There is also an E'bay listing under Monsoon as E'bay ID monsooncarhoods and item number 271330858156 for an unbelievably low figure of £304.80.
The image is of a Blue Hood on an Atlanta Blue Z3.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Rear screen on my hood split yesterday morning. Temperature was 12 deg C so must just be due to age. As it has several threadbare patches I thought the best plan was to replace the hood. Have been phoning round today and thought I would share some information.

BAS int Supply only £321+vat, recommended installer for northern England, Carhood Northern (Cheshire) quoted £795 Supply and fit.
AS Pickering, Bradford Supply and Fit £792. Also discussed fitting BAS hoods and worked out at £703.
Soft Top Shop, Stockport £595 from web site (not spoken to the on phone)
Soft Tops Croydon quoted Supply and Fit at £325, around half the price! After discussing materials and spec. which seem to be same as Soft Top shop, I am booked in for 16th July. Only difference is they do not have the pocketed version. They are moving domain servers at present and the web site is down. The phone number is 020 8665 7577.

It means extra 300+miles on the round trip, which will cost me around £60, so still a big saving.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi roadvoyager1. The pockets that are on the original Z3 hood is there for a specific reason and without it the hood is under considerable stress when in the up position and just at the point of locking into place. Without the pockets there is also stress on the seam from the need to tension the hood - a natural occurrence when locking down.

The pockets allow movement without bagginess but also help retain tension without relaxing to the point that the area to the rear of the pockets end-up with wrinkles.

On the subject of wrinkles - it is really debatable whether the removable rear screen is an advantage when you consider the Mohair coming out from the plastic trim strip as opposed to having the rear screen machined into place. Also if a replacement screen is not put into place with accuracy then the rear panel that it fits into will wrinkle and look really untidy and there is also a risk of damaging the zip in the process of attempting to correct the situation - often it is as little as one or two loops (elements) on the nylon that is the amount of mismatch.

Mohair Hoods have natural shrinkage over the years and on the BMW hood the evidence is at the radii and especially the two top ones albeit mine has been affected at the top and bottom on the off-side of the hood.

Another point re :- replacement hoods. It does not include the lining unless specifically requested and more often than not it is when a complete colour change is being carried out.

Linings unless damage are retained as they are an independent part of the whole of the hood.

Personally - If you live within stricking distance of Stockport and considering the additional cost against fuel,tyre wear,travel time and the very very high recommendation factor,Paul has got to be the way to go.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

roadvoyager1 wrote: Soft Tops Croydon quoted Supply and Fit at £325, around half the price! After discussing materials and spec. which seem to be same as Soft Top shop, I am booked in for 16th July. Only difference is they do not have the pocketed version. They are moving domain servers at present and the web site is down. The phone number is 020 8665 7577.
Seems strange as when I had my hood replaced by Soft Tops they asked if I wanted the pocketed version (of course I said yes!). Maybe they will include the pockets at a higher cost?
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

roadvoyager1 wrote:Rear screen on my hood split yesterday morning. Temperature was 12 deg C so must just be due to age. As it has several threadbare patches I thought the best plan was to replace the hood. Have been phoning round today and thought I would share some information.

BAS int Supply only £321+vat, recommended installer for northern England, Carhood Northern (Cheshire) quoted £795 Supply and fit.
AS Pickering, Bradford Supply and Fit £792. Also discussed fitting BAS hoods and worked out at £703.
Soft Top Shop, Stockport £595 from web site (not spoken to the on phone)
Soft Tops Croydon quoted Supply and Fit at £325, around half the price! After discussing materials and spec. which seem to be same as Soft Top shop, I am booked in for 16th July. Only difference is they do not have the pocketed version. They are moving domain servers at present and the web site is down. The phone number is 020 8665 7577.

It means extra 300+miles on the round trip, which will cost me around £60, so still a big saving.

Had 3 cars done by soft tops in Croyden
No problems ever, and are top quality including the stitching. Mine and my sons are now two years old, and no wrinkles. And mine is down every time I have the opportunity. I travel over 200 miles each way to use him. no pockets on ours, which I believe some of the original BMW hoods were the same......
Blue hood £325 fitted....Why pay more?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I think that looks cracking in the blue. Mine is getting ready but new exhaust has to be first. Be a 3 hour each way trip for me but wouldn't mind if the roof and workmanship were good. Can't beat recommendations.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:Hi roadvoyager1. The pockets that are on the original Z3 hood is there for a specific reason and without it the hood is under considerable stress when in the up position and just at the point of locking into place. Without the pockets there is also stress on the seam from the need to tension the hood - a natural occurrence when locking down.

The pockets allow movement without bagginess but also help retain tension without relaxing to the point that the area to the rear of the pockets end-up with wrinkles.
Thanks for your comments Arooster. I will contact them to discuss the pockets/no pockets issue. Obviously opinions differ on this and Gookah seems to have had good experience on the non pocket version.
gookah wrote: Had 3 cars done by soft tops in Croyden
No problems ever, and are top quality including the stitching. Mine and my sons are now two years old, and no wrinkles. And mine is down every time I have the opportunity. I travel over 200 miles each way to use him. no pockets on ours, which I believe some of the original BMW hoods were the same......
Blue hood £325 fitted....Why pay more?
Gookah your hood certainly looks very nice, can you tell me the build year of your Z3 please?. Mine was Feb 99 build, so has some mods that were not on the earlier cars, but I think the hood frame is unchanged.

Can anybody advise if the frame was updated at any time please?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Can't see it mentioned on the thread so I'll mention this guy who has got a very good reputation.

Jack Smith Trimmers of Swansea
Rear of 158 St. Helens Avenue
Swansea
SA1 4NQ

I popped in the other day and he quoted £130 for a machined in rear window or £275 for a whole new roof.

It's a tiny little garage in a back street and looks straight out the 1970s!

For info he wasn't keen on putting a zipped replacement window in. He said he doesn't rate any of the non-OEM ones he has seen and for the price of an OEM part he can do a whole new roof. The other thing he mentioned was that the stitching has more often than not gone round the window and the roof has to come off anyway for repair before a zip in window can be fitted. All seems to make sense I guess.

Just google the name and you'll see plenty of good things said. The problem is he has a long waiting list. For weekend jobs at least he was quoting late summer a couple of months back.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

roadvoyager1 wrote:
Gookah your hood certainly looks very nice, can you tell me the build year of your Z3 please?. Mine was Feb 99 build, so has some mods that were not on the earlier cars, but I think the hood frame is unchanged.

Mine is the facelift April 2000. Not heard of frame changes, though the facelift had a cloth headlining fitted.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

roadvoyager1 wrote:
Checked on realoem and frame (Part Number 54318397648) applies to all Z3 variants from 1996 to 2002.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to all of you fans/supporters of Soft-Tops in Croydon. As tempting as it is with the apparent saving - it is not what it appears and especially for me.
I would be doing a 530+ miles round trip and a fuel cost of some £100.00 at motorway speeds,tyre wear at motorway speeds and with a minimum of 5hrs driving each way - that is not taking into account comfort stops and grabbing a bite to eat on the way down and again on the return journey.
My route albeit almost all of the way would be motorway with the M6 and M40 being the two longest stretches.
Factor in the potential for a mega motorway issue as is often the case in that neck-of-the-woods and I just might not even get there with sufficient time for the work to be completed.
That would be an extremely punishing day for a nearly 70 year old with a potential total of 12hrs actual travelling time and the down-time whilst the hood is being changed.

I think that Paul in Stockport is my current best option with the work being carried out during the late Summer/Early Autumn.

Just in passing having picked up on a point in the post from gookah - my 2000 ( 05/05/2000) registered Z3 has build date of December 1999 and is a Facelift/Wide bodied variant.
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

Fully understand. For your location and circumstances Paul coming out to fit the hood or you driving to Stockport would seem the best option.

For me Stockport is 3 hours + each way, so benefit of travelling to Stockport is not so great. Having family in the Midlands to visit and break the journey also influences my decision.

Purely from a technical/quality point of view, has anybody had bad experience with the Croydon outfit?
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

roadvoyager1 wrote:Fully understand. For your location and circumstances Paul coming out to fit the hood or you driving to Stockport would seem the best option.

For me Stockport is 3 hours + each way, so benefit of travelling to Stockport is not so great. Having family in the Midlands to visit and break the journey also influences my decision.

Purely from a technical/quality point of view, has anybody had bad experience with the Croydon outfit?

Hi again roadvoyager1. The thing that I cannot get my head around is the massive differences in the pricing structures of what is essentially the same thing.

There are people out there that are supplying and fitting for what some want - for just supplying.

The only real difference and especially when Twillfast is used is - Supply & Fit or Supplier only. The businesses that I have approach have all stated that it is Twillfast that they use.

In any event,I am looking at supply and fit with a probable change to blue from the regular black.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: The thing that I cannot get my head around is the massive differences in the pricing structures of what is essentially the same thing.
I looked at the market for some time before travelling to Croydon and there seems to be more competition in SE England. I suspect that the materials are relatively cheap and that the main cost is labour - the Croydon chap takes between 2 & 3 hours to fit and he even removed all the rubber side bits on the frame and cleaned then with some conditioner/lubricant. I've rarely been more eager and happy to hand over £325. :D With all the mechanical renovation I've done underneath the car (not much left that dates back to 1998 :D ) & good mechanical polish - the new hood makes the car like new and good for another 10-years :D

Could only find one local trimmer in my North Somerset area who does some work for the local BMW dealership. He wanted a 4-figure sum which simply didn't make economic sense for my bottom-of-the range :D 1.9 :D
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: The thing that I cannot get my head around is the massive differences in the pricing structures of what is essentially the same thing.

I would be asking that of the more expensive suppliers.
Though, I know the answer will be that all of ours are crap, with fitting by monkeys who do wavy stitching, clingfilm windows and an old blanket as the main material.... :D
after all "you get what you pay... (through the nose).... for guv" :D

But I see why the journey is off putting and the hassle is offset by the extra cost

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

better to reuse an old thread....

So I have been thinking for a while that my roof is starting to look tired, anyway over the weekend I noticed that my rear screen has finally succumbed and developed a small split. Having seen all the posts over the past few years I have narrowed it down to the following:

Softtops of Croydon: http://www.soft-tops.co.uk/
Monsoon : http://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/bmw-z3-hoods
The soft top shop : http://www.thesofttopshop.com/home

These choices are based on reviews, location and cost - obviously softtops of croydon being the cheapest so far.

I am based in Manchester but the Z is shortly going to come with me to Gosport (Portsmouth) so before I commit I was wondering if anyone has had any other / different experiences with other companies that haven't been mentioned and would be worth considering.

I should also mention I want to keep the headlining and want it fully fitted.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

bertiejaffa wrote:better to reuse an old thread....

So I have been thinking for a while that my roof is starting to look tired, anyway over the weekend I noticed that my rear screen has finally succumbed and developed a small split. Having seen all the posts over the past few years I have narrowed it down to the following:

Softtops of Croydon: http://www.soft-tops.co.uk/
Monsoon : http://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/bmw-z3-hoods
The soft top shop : http://www.thesofttopshop.com/home

These choices are based on reviews, location and cost - obviously softtops of croydon being the cheapest so far.

I am based in Manchester but the Z is shortly going to come with me to Gosport (Portsmouth) so before I commit I was wondering if anyone has had any other / different experiences with other companies that haven't been mentioned and would be worth considering.
Hi Bertiejaffa. Paul at The Soft Top Shop,Stockport has a rather good reputation here in the North West but currently has work booked in for 7/8 weeks.
I visited him a few weeks ago with a view to having a new hood for my Z3 2.0 Auto in Topaz Blue Metallic - I am contemplating a change from the original Black to the Blue option.

Paul has been used by forum members and all that I have knowledge of of were extremely happy with his work.
I quizzed him about the shrinking back of the Mohair in the corners leaving an unsightly appearance and suggested a resolve BUT it was something that he was more than aware of and had taken steps to modify the hoods that he fits by the manufactures that he buys from - I also believe that his rear screens are without zips - a source of leaking when being Jet Washed.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Coming upto 2 years old now since Paul at the Softopshop fitted mine and its as good as the day it was fitted. No leaks to report and went through a horrendous rainstorm last week and stayed water tight, can't ask for more really.

Tim.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

when you talk about price difference, years ago I use to make surrey tops for kit cars (lotus 7 type) being a saddler I used the material that I used to repair horse rugs I charged about £45 for them but 10 years later there are companies out thier who charge £120 for the same thing , I use to make them to earn a living not to rip folk off
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

TitanTim wrote:Coming upto 2 years old now since Paul at the Softopshop fitted mine and its as good as the day it was fitted. No leaks to report and went through a horrendous rainstorm last week and stayed water tight, can't ask for more really.

Tim.
Hi Tim. That hood looks really smart in Burgundy on Silver. Was it you that posted onto the forum an image of Paul doing the work on your driveway during a thankfully very nice day ?
I understand that his is suitably equipped for a turn in the weather - all baring a tornado !

Where did you get the spatter/splash guard patches from for the lower rear panels from ?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Coming upto 2 years old now since Paul at the Softopshop fitted mine and its as good as the day it was fitted. No leaks to report and went through a horrendous rainstorm last week and stayed water tight, can't ask for more really.

Tim.
Hi Tim. That hood looks really smart in Burgundy on Silver. Was it you that posted onto the forum an image of Paul doing the work on your driveway during a thankfully very nice day ?
I understand that his is suitably equipped for a turn in the weather - all baring a tornado !

Where did you get the spatter/splash guard patches from for the lower rear panels from ?
Yes, pics I posted earlier in the thread, he does have a small gazebo which can be erected over the car if the weather is bad, within limits :)

The magnetic guards I bought 8 years ago and ordered them from the USA, they are in fact BMW OEM ones and have never seen any other BMW ones for sale since. There was someone on here making them at one time and posting them out. Might be worth doing a forum search.

Tim.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Good to see you on here, I'm contemplating going to the red for a replacement roof :D is it easy to keep clean, does it show marks etc? Jon
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

TitanTim wrote:

Tim.

Yes, pics I posted earlier in the thread, he does have a small gazebo which can be erected over the car if the weather is bad, within limits :)

Hi again Tim. Thank you. It would appear that the original offerings were American and quite reasonably priced but the shipping costs are a joke. However I have found some alternatives on E'bay (UK) that look as though they will do the same job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Stoneg ... 1151062163

The magnetic guards I bought 8 years ago and ordered them from the USA, they are in fact BMW OEM ones and have never seen any other BMW ones for sale since. There was someone on here making them at one time and posting them out. Might be worth doing a forum search.

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

('_')Z3 wrote:

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Good to see you on here, I'm contemplating going to the red for a replacement roof :D is it easy to keep clean, does it show marks etc? Jon
Thanks Jon, it was one of the things I considered before going with the burgundy roof as I've seen them where they've got dirty and they don't look great. I do shampoo it weekly when using the Zed so its not such a great issue, however if you only clean the car a few times a year it wouldn't be a great choice. The only problem I do get is limescale in the water when washing which can leave white patches but is easily brushed out, strangely I never had this problem when I had the black hood so weird.

Burgundy does look lovely against the silver.

Tim.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

TitanTim wrote:
('_')Z3 wrote:

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Thanks Jon, it was one of the things I considered before going with the burgundy roof as I've seen them where they've got dirty and they don't look great. I do shampoo it weekly when using the Zed so its not such a great issue, however if you only clean the car a few times a year it wouldn't be a great choice. The only problem I do get is limescale in the water when washing which can leave white patches but is easily brushed out, strangely I never had this problem when I had the black hood so weird.

Burgundy does look lovely against the silver.

Tim.

Cheers mate, do you happen to remember is the burgundy a special order as opposed to the black and blue? I remember reading somewhere that the burgundy was less popular so more difficult to get hold of. You're right though it does look great against the silver :D
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Red is less popular and so not usually a colour that they have in stock like black and blue so they have to order it specially in most cases which puts the cost up
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

('_')Z3 wrote:Cheers mate, do you happen to remember is the burgundy a special order as opposed to the black and blue? I remember reading somewhere that the burgundy was less popular so more difficult to get hold of. You're right though it does look great against the silver :D
It wasn't Jon, I just contacted the Softtopshop and asked for the burgundy which was being advertised alongside the other colours, it is 30 quid more though.

http://www.thesofttopshop.com/bmw-z3

Tim.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Car is booked in with the guys at Croyden in a few weeks.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

bertiejaffa wrote:Car is booked in with the guys at Croyden in a few weeks.
Hi bertiejaffa. Are you putting a Burgundy hood on the Blue Z !! or have you bought a Silver one ?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

bertiejaffa wrote:Car is booked in with the guys at Croyden in a few weeks.
Hi bertiejaffa. Are you putting a Burgundy hood on the Blue Z !! or have you bought a Silver one ?
No, going with another blue one. I really like the red roofs on silver cars and would have gone down that route on my old Z if I still had it but I don't think it will suit a blue car.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
monsooncarhoods

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by monsooncarhoods »

We'll second the appearance of the Burgundy on Silver, looks awesome :). It seems to be the "in thing" at the moment as we have fitted Burgundy hoods to Black, White and even Gold (yes gold!) cars.

Kindest Regards

Monsoon Car Hoods

For BMW Z3 Hoods visithttp://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/bmw-z3-hoods
For BMW Z4 Hoods visithttp://www.monsooncarhoods.co.uk/bmw-z4-hoods
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by markhinton »

Do Soft Tops of Croydon have inner linings in their roofs, as in the facelift models?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

they replace the roof fabric only.
if yours hasn't got a headlining, it wont have one afterwards. if it has a headlining,it is re-used

ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

gookah wrote:they replace the roof fabric only.
if yours hasn't got a headlining, it wont have one afterwards. if it has a headlining,it is re-used
Hi markhinton & gookah. It is likely that one could be purchased from a breaker that dismantles with care and does not just leave roadsters out in all weathers and just relying on the hood to keep the interior clean,dry and tidy.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Paul at Soft Top Shop did mine earlier in the year. I also had burgundy on my Silver Zed.

He does a great job and I'm really pleased with the service. He may not be the cheapest but if you travel a distance and have problems at a later date it's a PIA to get it sorted.

Photo here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35513&start=1800