catalysts

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

catalysts

Post by wizard4 »

Two things to discuss, firstly catalyst, I had to have the cat changed so got an aftermarket one, problem is it resonates, and screams going through the lower gears, so spoke to supplier who stated it should'nt do that, so had it replaced under warranty, with another cat from the same manufacturer, still got the same problem, any ideas as to why it does it and is there a company that supplies cats that does'nt do this.
Secondly I had problems starting in the mornings, sometimes one cylinder or maybe two or all four, missfiring, when running, anyway the solution was to replace the Lambda sensor, a botched job had been done on it, and replaced the cam sensor, runs like a dream now except for the cat.
Mine is the 1997 1.9 car
Cheers
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: catalysts

Post by Southernboy »

Did you fit it yourself ? It sounds as if you may possibly have a leaky joint in the system somewhere ?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

if its the cheap euro cat they fitted there always loud and raspy sounding tbh you would be better with a good second hand original cat than a euro cat .the scrap men wont even take euro cats as theres nothing of any value inside them get good money for old original cats
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

The garage fitted it, and yes its a euro cat, I will see if I can find a second hand one .
Cheers guys
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i have had the same problem.
got my first one from Eurocarparts and in less than 1000 miles it failed mot on emissions. it always sounded very 'rattly' and raspy all of the time. i also noticed the lambda sensor port was in the wrong place and the wire end of the sensor was very close to the gearbox.
i got it changed under warranty but didn't fit it due to not trusting it after the problems with the first one. i then got a different one through my cousins tyre and exhaust centre and although it is 100 times better, it still has a slight rasp to it when it's cold. it passed the mot no problem and becomes quiet when it warms up. the Lambda port is also in the correct place.
i think it is down to the size of the cat. the OEM cat is a large item whereas the aftermarket is very small in comparison.
either go for an OEM cat or if you like, i can find out who makes the new cat i have fitted?