power steering pipe mystery

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
simonlincs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

power steering pipe mystery

Post by simonlincs »

Hi,

just had the car back from the garage, powerflex fitted but I have a leak on the power steering pipe part number 32411094452 . This seems to be on a number of drawings but then trying to find it to buy seems a much more difficult task. Garage have been told by dealer they can get part by November, surely there is another way? many thanks
Simon
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: power steering pipe mystery

Post by Del »

Is the leak coming through a fracture in the actual rubber pipe of just leaking from the point where it has the factory-fitted clip at the end? Several owners (including me) have suffered the latter. It seems that over time the rubber pipe shrinks very slightly and as the factory-fitted clip seems not to be very tight, a leak starts. I cured mine by simply replacing the factory-fitted one with a nice quality, good fitting stainless steel jubilee clip - no problems since.
simonlincs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by simonlincs »

Hi Del

looking at it, in the past that has been done already at the top, this looks like lower down and is corrosion based :cry:
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Just a thought and I guess you are in Lincolnshire from your signature but might be worth contacting these. I know they fit hydraulic hoses to most items of plant and I'm sure they could make up what you want as to cost unsure. I've thought about asking them when I see them on site but never got round to it yet.

http://www.pirtek.co.uk/lincoln/about-us
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
simonlincs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by simonlincs »

thanks Brian, looks like it might be the way forward and close by, just seems strange that the part is so difficult to find
Simon
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

I had to replace the return low pressure pipe from pump to reservoir the other week advisory on MOT slight weep at reservoir end.
BMW crimped clip had bitten into the rubber over time resulting in a weeping joint. Got a new hose from the Stealer over £30 for such a small length of pipe. Used S/S Jubilee clips when I replaced it.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
simonlincs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by simonlincs »

Hi Colb,

reassured that someone has found one, can I ask which dealer did you use?
cheers
Simon
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Simon
Not sure the pipe I replaced is the same one as you need but I got mine from BMW Sytner at Newport South Wales
http://www.sytnernewportbmw.co.uk/
The one I replaced was from the pump to the reservoir low pressure return its item No 1 in the oem diagram
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 2411094452

Shortish pipe but formed with a bend to clear the bottom pulley.

I rang Synter up quoted the part number and it was there next morning.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V