running out of revs

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

running out of revs

Post by peter2b »

Sill having fun in my zed but i keep running out of revs if i give her agood boot the rev counter gets up to 6k before i can change gear then the over rev thing cuts in , also i only seem to get about 300 miles per full tank of go juce is that normal?
Peter2b
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: running out of revs

Post by Southernboy »

330 / Tank seems reasonable given you're booting the motor up to 6000 rpm on gear changes... and that "other rev thing" is a "limiter" to preserve the motor... on your motor I would imagine it kicks in around 6500 rpm... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Cheers still nice to have a bit of fun even with the price of fuel now adays, i have never had a motor that revs so quick in any gear so i'm still getting use to her ,i'm only on my 2nd tank of go juce :P :) :)
peter2b
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

:shock: don't think I have ever reved mine that high :lol: I did on my previous vtec powered car but then you are supposed too. I have too much mechanical sympathy. :lol:
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

My Z3 3.0 is so fast that l've never had it flat out through the gears. But yes, it does seem to rev up quickly. However my other car is a Land Rover Defender!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It is possible to have the limiter delimited... this will allow you to take the rpm up to around 7200...and your fuel consumption will be even higher.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I feel sorry for the poor old M54 spending its life bouncing off the rev limiter!
It's likely that the cost of fuel will be the least of your worries before long!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Should keep the hydraulic valve lifters clean - I'm told this was the method (aka Italian tune up) used by BMW technicians to clean up "sticky" valve lifters :D
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

its only done it a couple of times mainly in first, now I'm getting use to how quick the revs go up I'm keeping a eye on the rev counter rather that using my ears to judge things
peter2b
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

clean the lifters eh, well I will try this tomorrow as mine stick, will update after I try :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The cure for sticky lifter.......
Find a quiet open road
get up to top speed in 3rd
Lift your foot off the gas and allow the motor to do the braking
When you reckon it's safe to change down to 2nd, change down and let the clutch out so that the motor revs high again...
Do this several times, and that should "unstick" the lifters... :wink:

... and next oil change, use an engine cleaner additive before you do the oil draining....
"Normal is overrated"

stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Regular use, regular maintenance, good quality oil(Mobil1 0w40)no additives required.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My son and I have had good results (i.e. eliminating lifter tick etc) with both Mobil 1 0W-40 (as mentioned by Stevov above) and surprisingly Euro car Parts own Triple QX 0W-40 http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_252
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

im convinced my strange startup is lifter related, it goes if I change the oil just to return a month or so later.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

hey it worked :shock: cool :) started great this morning, no hickups like usual, I gave it some revs on my way home late last night.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... I was given the "cure" by a BMW mechanic...... It worked on my 2.8 too... But I did use an engine flush a few times thereafter before doing the oil change, and never had the problem again... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Spooky this when i first stated my zed there were a funny ticking sound from the engine like tappits now after my :oops: over reving no more ticking
peter2b