This is why you change gearbox oil

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

This is why you change gearbox oil

Post by Zed Free »

Having recently changed my gearbox oil I thought that any doubters out there might like to see what the oil looks like after 70,000 miles and 14 years. Oh and the diff oil was not much better.

Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: This is why you change gearbox oil

Post by Southernboy »

What would be interesting is the same jar of oil left to allow any suspended material to settle for a couple of weeks, and the oil drained off so one can see just how much debris is left as a sediment on the bottom... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

One of the largest problems with old oil is the growth of bacteria, which eat the oil and produce hydrochloric acid. A modicum of water makes the problem worse, the associated corrosion having been the cause of problems in ships bilges and storage tanks, and can only be prevented by regular oil changes and general cleanliness.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Looks the same colour as the stuff that came out of both my gearbox and diff - dark with a green tinge :o
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

looks the same colour as my engine oil before I change it :lol: :lol:
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Changed gear and diff a couple of months ago after 92000 miles and 17 years. Noticeable difference to the running of the car. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's cheap and easy to do.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

I have a 2ltr Z3 roadster (year 2000)...I have been looking around on here for what type of oil for the gearbox and the diff...and can I get it in Halfords?
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Halfords range is not really good enough - particularly for the GL4 fully synthetic manual gearbox oil for the Z3

http://oilselector.castrol.com/c/uk/eng/search
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

Del wrote:Halfords range is not really good enough - particularly for the GL4 fully synthetic manual gearbox oil for the Z3

http://oilselector.castrol.com/c/uk/eng/search

OK Thanks for that.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

Hello again...still trying to find the correct grade of oil for the diff....is my diff a "limited slip differential" type :?: ...its a 2 Ltr roadster, year 2000
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

If you go to a site such as http://www.bmwvin.com/ and enter your VIN you will get all the details on your particular car and whether it has an LSD.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

Zed Free wrote:If you go to a site such as http://www.bmwvin.com/ and enter your VIN you will get all the details on your particular car and whether it has an LSD.

Thanks for that, really helpful, cheers.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looks fine to me, mines probably exactly the same or worse :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I used castrol syntrans for the gearbox and castrol syntax for the diff. I'd recommend both.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
northwestred

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by northwestred »

I used Opie Oils after reading some reviews regarding BMW oils for g/box and diff. You can search your car and see the selection of oils available
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/
Conversations should be like a young Lady's skirt - Long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep your'e interest....
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

1963paul wrote:
Zed Free wrote:If you go to a site such as http://www.bmwvin.com/ and enter your VIN you will get all the details on your particular car and whether it has an LSD.

Thanks for that, really helpful, cheers.

Still non the wiser....on the VIN Decoder site, just says: Transmision- HECK, and Gearbox-MECH, no mention of what type of Diff is fitted, unless "HECK" means something? :?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

HECK is short for Heckantrieb, which is rear-wheel-drive.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

BladeRunner919 wrote:HECK is short for Heckantrieb, which is rear-wheel-drive.

Thanks...think I'm going to have to lift the rear wheels, and spin one, and see if other wheel spins the other direction, just to be sure.
Suppose using LSD type oil in the diff wont make a lot of difference if it happens to be a non-LSD....or will there be a problem? :dunce:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

1963paul wrote:
Thanks...think I'm going to have to lift the rear wheels, and spin one, and see if other wheel spins the other direction, just to be sure.
Suppose using LSD type oil in the diff wont make a lot of difference if it happens to be a non-LSD....or will there be a problem? :dunce:
Even if you do have an LSD, there is no way you can spin it fast enough by hand to make it lock up. Unless the diff is seized locked, of course!
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

[/quote] Suppose using LSD type oil in the diff wont make a lot of difference if it happens to be a non-LSD....or will there be a problem? :dunce:[/quote]

So would using LSD type oil cause any longterm problems if it wasnt a LSD?
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

If you have an lsd it will say something like "S209A Sperrdifferential 25% Differential lock 25%" So it would seem that you have a normal diff, maybe others with a known non lsd diff will confirm what theirs says on bmwvin.

LSD oils have what they call friction modifiers and are generally more expensive.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

Well I have ordered Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75w140...still not sure if it matters if it happens to be a non LSD fitted. :roll:
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

If your car has a Torsen LSD the old test of turning a wheel does not tell you anything - get a printout of your car's spcification frm any dealer - it's free in return for the last seven digits of the VIN code, such as LE 71381.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

Mike Fishwick wrote:If your car has a Torsen LSD the old test of turning a wheel does not tell you anything - get a printout of your car's spcification frm any dealer - it's free in return for the last seven digits of the VIN code, such as LE 71381.

If you mean the Vehicle Information from BMW Vin Decoder (BMWVIN.COM) , I have that from earlier on in this discussion, it doesnt tell me anything about what type of diff is fitted, just "TRANSMISSION- HECK..(rear wheel drive)....and GEARBOX-MECH.
Unless you are talking about a different type of printout from a dealer?
The bottom line is would it matter if I used this oil on ANY diff that was fitted??
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

The HECK and MECH are on the print out for lsd difs as well. You need to look in the section below it which list the extras such as air bags etc. Which is where mine says Differential lock 25%.

Some people say there is no issue with using LSD oil in non LSD diff others will site issues they have had. Maybe phone Castrol help line they are usually quite good.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 1963paul »

Zed Free wrote:The HECK and MECH are on the print out for lsd difs as well. You need to look in the section below it which list the extras such as air bags etc. Which is where mine says Differential lock 25%.

Some people say there is no issue with using LSD oil in non LSD diff others will site issues they have had. Maybe phone Castrol help line they are usually quite good.

Thanks...no mention in "Order Options" on the VIN printout about what is fitted..I think I will just use the oil I have ordered and be done with it.
Thanks to all for info.