Please help seat nightmare

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Please help seat nightmare

Post by Millhouse »

Is there any other way to get them out the drill thing didn't work at all iv got to snapped spindles now and the seat is still all the way back
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Please help seat nightmare

Post by Brian H »

Swap the front motor and spindles over from your other seat, this can be done with the seat in situ, 10 mins and job is sorted.

HTH
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Yep tried that one too it's like the rails have jammed solid
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

You must have the rails twisted, measure them to a fixed point to try and work out which one is furthest backwards/forwards and adjust this on on its own until they are level, re insert the good motor and try again.
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Nope both rails are the same it's driving me mad that it just won't move
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Did your other seat motor work ok before you swapped it over?
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Yep works a treat
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Only other thing I can suggest it to hold the motor in your hand, insert one spindle in one side and click the switch forwards/backwards, do the same on the other side and it may free off. IIRC someone a year or so ago had to cut open the aluminium gear mechanisms to free off the seat, if this happens the rails are obviously buggered and need replacing.
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

Hello Millhouse this sounds like the same problem I had just a few weeks ago.
If you are reasonably handy with tools it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Presumably you have removed both of the front rail nuts. You then need to prise up both front rails approximately 2"and wedge something in at the front so they don't come down - I used two 30mm sockets on their sides but anything solid with no give will do. You then need a flat ratchet with from memory a T25 Torx bit. This will let you remove the four Torx bolts under the seat rail (there is very little room and the ratchet needs to be small) which secure the shuttle which holds the seat bushes. Once these are removed the seat will move forward enough to get to the 2 bolts at the back of the seat which will let you lift the seat of the rail mechanism. I then could get to the inside rear rail bolt but the outside one I needed to cut off about 4mm of the rail to access the remaining bolt (you may not have to do this, it will depend in what position on the spindle it seized). You can then remove the whole assembly in one go to access the spindles. My inside one was just slightly seized but freed off after one turn but the up/down spindle and the outside spindle were seized solid and needed soaking in oil for three days and then liberally coated in copper eaze. They all work perfectly well now.
Hope this is your problem also and this information rectifies the situation for you.
Ian
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

^^ Good info, I hope it works for the OP.
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Will wedging the rails up 2" bend them ?
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

It didn't with mine but as I could see no other way to remove the seat other than destroying it I don't think you have any other option but is obviously a risk. This way the seat itself would be ok and you might have to just straighten the rail out (probably where the rear bolt goes through) in a vice or something similar. But as I said when I did mine everything was ok.
I am presuming this is the drivers seat we are talking about?
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

No it's the passenger seat mate iv read your comment 1000 times now iv got to try and figure out what I'm doing
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

Well it is possible, but is there a reason for getting the seat moving? I was replacing the bushes and had got so far it was not going to defeat me (and had bought the bushes anyway). If it was the drivers seat I could understand wanting adjustment but not really an issue for the passenger if it is fully back.
If you can be bothered remove the drivers seat to see what you need to do with regards to removing the 2 torx bolts. You wont need to remove the seat from the car just the four rail bolts and block it up. But to remove the passenger seat it is imperative that you get the smallest (depth) of ratchet possible i.e. from the tip of the torx bit to the underside of the ratchet. I got one including bits from the local bicycle shop for £4.99. The smaller the depth the less you need to lever up the rail. I can send you pictures of the rail from underneath if that will make it easier to understand what I am on about.
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

If you wouldn't mind I'm struggling to lift mine 1/2 inch
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

I have just taken a few photos and will send when I work out how. Should be pretty soon hopefully.
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

I have tried attaching the files but even after downsizing them to 10% they are still too large for the 256KiB limit.

Anyone any idea how to reduce them even further to attach?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

phatsaff wrote:I have tried attaching the files but even after downsizing them to 10% they are still too large for the 256KiB limit.

To show pictures here you need to store them on an external photo server, photobucket, Image Shack etc etc. More info below.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7658

HTH
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Well it didn't work again tried lifting the seat would barely lift inch so smashed the motors off again still didn't work so resorted to tho

And yet still can't get the seat to slide forward so going to angle grind it of only way left as there is no bolts showing to undo
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

Brian H wrote:
phatsaff wrote:I have tried attaching the files but even after downsizing them to 10% they are still too large for the 256KiB limit.

To show pictures here you need to store them on an external photo server, photobucket, Image Shack etc etc. More info below.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7658

HTH
Thanks for the info Brian but looks like there is no need for my photos or information anymore.
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

Millhouse, I am sorry it came to destroying your seats as I am sure we could have between us managed to remove and save them but too late now I think :bawl:
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

The rail is jammed solid iv tried everything drills lifting up the rail and yet still nothing the seat was crap anyway leather was awful so I'm not to sad as iv got a lovely set of black leather ones but I'm still stuck as it still won't move forward to get to the rear bolts
phatsaff

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by phatsaff »

You need to do as I described and lift up the rails at the front to remove the 4 torx bolts this will slide the mechanism forward to access the rear bolts.
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

They won't lift enough to get any torx bolts out
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... eat+bushes

The link above has a couple of YouTube links in it, the vids show some good shots of the bottom sides of the seats, maybe this can help?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Millhouse wrote:The rail is jammed solid iv tried everything drills lifting up the rail and yet still nothing the seat was crap anyway leather was awful so I'm not to sad as iv got a lovely set of black leather ones but I'm still stuck as it still won't move forward to get to the rear bolts
As the seat is already dead, just cut the frame with a grinder until you can get to the bolts.
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

I'm going to know
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Quick question were would be the best place to cut to get the seat out ?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Im guessing nobody has taken this route before so you are leading the way, If it were me I would have a look at the seat and see if you can get the seat off the rails first and then attack the rails.

Q. Have you got the long screw threads out of the rails?
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

No I can't get to them
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Right here's the next stage finally got the seat frame out the way with bolt cutters but still the bloody rails won't move
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

And it's finally done after hours of grinding we finally got the rails off and having to use a torx gun to get the bolts out as they were just solid and as for the rails they were cut in to 12 bits just to get them out the long gear was rusted solid so it would never have moved anyway but they are gone and now waiting on my new seats can't wait
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If they were rusted, then it sounds like the car has had water come into it at some point. The carpet below the seats sits on 3-4 inches of foam, so whilst you have the seats out, it is worth checking underneath to make sure that there is no water still under there. If there is, get it properly dried out before installing new seats, and look for the source of the leak. I sincerely hope there isn't but it really is worth checking.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

The foam is wet u see the seats iv looked and can't find were its coming in :-(
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

shotgun on the coins you have unearthed, but you can keep the macydees salt thingys :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The fitted carpet is in 2 sections. Back and front halves. The rear section requires removal of the rear storage box and the side trims as well as the 2 plastic sections along the door bottom which go through to the front foot well area. Also the center console will have to be removed.
The front half is another matter. It requires the center console, all the trim under the dash including the foot wll speaker trim and those same 2 plastic sections along the bottom of the doorway to be removed. Then you're faced with the section which goes under the heater matrix. Removing that isn't recommended, since it is fed hot water from the engine and the pipes go through the fire wall and are well sealed in position. Rather look carefully at the fitting and cut through the carpet with a long blade stanley knife type tool, so you can pull it out from under the heater.
Under the carpet are some plastic trims which protect the wiring loom running to the back of the car. If there is as much water as you suggest, I would strongly suggest carpet removal if only to check the condition of the wiring and remove any water.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Found over £7 under there lol plus some very sticky sweets lol and I'm just going to leave it change the door seal and see how it goes iv got to get it through the mot next then I mite even get to drive the car as iv not drove it yet
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ask Andy (Spurs fan in a coupe) about door seals. Although it is possibly more likely that the water has come in through the top corner of the windscreen where the roof seals to the windscreen. That is the most common point of leaks. Have a search under " leak at the top of the windscreen"... there's lots of chat and the remedy for it. Also, search for a post on how to adjust the window height. That will allow you to ensure the window is sealing to the rubber trim under the folding roof. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Oh thanks for that il make sure I look them up just want to get it through an mot then the little bits
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I would also check in the boot - often water can come in where the rear of the roof meets the rear of the car. The water then runs down under the carpet beneath the rear window and (depending on how the car is parked either goes forward into the cab and under the carpets or backwards into the boot. If it goes backwards it tends to fill the 2 little wells at either side of the boot - very easy to check as the boot carpet is only held in with some clips that pull out. Also, if you remove the rear wall section of carpet in the boot you will probably see the water tracks if there has been any - agin an easy piece to remove (2-3 mins at tops.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

My leaks were via the door cards over the foot ledge. Previous tinkerers simply removed the plastic sheet liners in the door cards. I cut my own from thick plastic bag material and siliconed in place.
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Il make sure I look at that mate
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Upstate new seats in and working great taken her for the 1st drive today drove lovely considering it was spared and repairs but the abs and acs light is on all the time witch is a bit of a pain
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Glad you got it sorted at ladt ,I had a look under the boot floor mat on myz3, no damp but i did find a 5p coin
peter2b :)
Millhouse

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Millhouse »

Seats are beut or tho I could plug all the wires in as the seats didn't have the connection witch I think that's for the heated seats