Z3 roll bar removal - Caps for holes left

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 roll bar removal - Caps for holes left

Post by ericholm »

Hi,

I have standard roll bars on my Z3 and want to remove them, which seems easy enough. However I need 4 caps to fit over the holes that will be left once removed. Does anyone know the part number of these caps?

Thanks.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: Z3 roll bar removal - Caps for holes left

Post by siwilson »

Part 10 here on RealOEM
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ericholm »

Many thanks, are all 4 the same as the exploded view only shows the far left and right.

Cheers.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

There are no round covers for the inners... you will need the rectangular cover, or change your rear storage box for the non roll bar version. Alternately, get some plastic and cut out some circles to fit the inner holes, plus you will need to stick them to something larger than those holes, and fit them in from the underside. That way the round bits will stay in place.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I do find myself asking why you would want to do this? It is usually the opposite with people wanting to fit rollhoops to a car without, either for safety or because they like the look of them. If this is to be a permanent arrangement and your trim is in good condition, then there are plenty of people that would bite your arm off to swap for it.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Quite apart from losing some of the roll-over protection, this will remove the neat mesh wind blocker, which is something I would miss badly. Maybe it is a sign that the OP enjoys 'wind in the hair' or feels roll-over bars are 'not cool?'
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Quite apart from losing some of the roll-over protection, this will remove the neat mesh wind blocker, which is something I would miss badly. Maybe it is a sign that the OP enjoys 'wind in the hair' or feels roll-over bars are 'not cool?'
I'll tell you whats not cool. You Mr. Fishwick and your snide comments!

You'll be telling us a Diesel Golf is better next!

Geez.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Snide? Moi? Never - as with other things, snideness is in the eye of the beholder!

Lots of Z3 owners do things which they consider to be 'cool,' so it seemed a fair comment. If you take issue with that, please try to remember that this is a discussion forum, where all members' views are supposed to be welcome. Perhaps for you some are more welcome than those of others . . .

By the way, if you look at the figures you will find that back in 2000 a 115 bhp/210 lb-ft Golf TDI was at least the equal of a 2.8 Z3 in terms of acceleration, while in our 165 bhp/275 lb-ft form it is unbeatable, even after 207,000 miles.

I would, however, admit that I prefer driving my Z3 - but which is 'better' I would never try to decide, as both have their good points for those who discard their prejudices and open their eyes!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

as soon as I get around to making my hoops, you can have my covers for free, though you will still need to buy the ones for the storage area :) oh yeh what colour trim? mine is beige
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

maybe we need a poll, how many of us still have hair to feel this wind 8-) :lol: mines still there :twisted:
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ericholm »

Hi all thanks for the comments, regardless what they contain, and sorry for delay as been out of country for a while.

Quite ironically I have a new Golf 'r' 300bhp and pretty much knocks spots of most things

The z3 is a donor car for a kit i will be adding to it a 1961 tribute swb 250 ferrari hybrid as will be keeping it a convertible however to my knowledge they didnt have roll bars fitted to many cars in that era hence the reason for the question about removing them, more for the look that the practical aspects of saftey or wind in the hair, actually there is not much hair left and its grade 2 so no problem there! 8-)

Thanks to the poster that offered teh caps, gutted I have a black interior :(

Cheers.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

ericholm wrote:
The z3 is a donor car for a kit i will be adding to it a 1961 tribute swb 250 ferrari
Would be interested to see this build - are you documenting it anywhere?
ericholm

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ericholm »

Would be interested to see this build - are you documenting it anywhere?
Hi,

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/s ... php?t=5481

Currently waiting for body kit to arrive, so concentrating on interior for now and getting it mechanically straight before body work begins........ :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ Rustoleum make a spray specifically for plastics..so not important what colour caps you find... simply spray them... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Southernboy wrote:........ Rustoleum make a spray specifically for plastics..so not important what colour caps you find... simply spray them... :wink:
this is what i did with the rear plastics on mine. they were originally beige but now they're black and looks factory too. :wink:
lmrdave

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lmrdave »

I have the interior panels from when I swapped mine to have roll hoops, it's sat in a box in the shed, yours if you want it!
1998 Z3 2.8 Arctic Silver
1991 Mazda MX5
1987 Nissan Silvia