bugger

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

bugger

Post by littlefeller »

consensus please, is this just a repair or is it a replacement? this happened on my way to work this morning by a stone from a skip lorry coming the other way
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: bugger

Post by lebigmec »

Ouch! I would doubt if it's a repair job, as both chips have spread a little already & they're in your line of vision. Worth enquiring though..
Look on the bright side, although it's a PITA that your screen is cracked, it's better than the damage that would have been caused to paintwork if the stone had hit a body panel, & more easily repaired.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pay £60 excess and get a nice new screen.... you will get rid of 15 years of tiny chips. I was amazed at the difference when mine was done.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

will I loose my 10 plus years of no claims :evil:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

littlefeller wrote:will I loose my 10 plus years of no claims :evil:
Insurance companies don't count glass claims against NCD.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

just got off the phone to swift cover, they say as long as its smaller than a £2 coin it can be repaired, so there coming around sat to fix it, we will see :lol:
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I'll be surprised if they can repair that.

I bet when they press on the screen with the injector, the crack migrates right across the glass.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

littlefeller wrote:will I loose my 10 plus years of no claims :evil:
I have just done it, no loss of NCB on a screen change, plus from repairs that I have seen they have never been invisible, they had a blur or distortion or both. Your chip looks directly in your line of sight so that would aggravate you every drive if it wasn't right.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

I was told that if there were two chips close together, even if they were only small, they could not be repaired successfully.
Yours look too big and right in your line of sight.
Best to accidentally drop a hammer on it.... metaphorically speaking.

Also, beware of insurers who don't reduce your NCD for glass repair, but DO put up your premium next year because you've 'made a claim'.
This happened to me, so they lost my business.

Luvin' the jazzy shirt btw.... :D

A.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Your NCB will be OK - unless you change companies! We found this loophole when we moved to France, and a new winsdscreen on the Golf was suddenly remembered, and transformed into a claim.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Your NCB will be OK - unless you change companies! We found this loophole when we moved to France, and a new winsdscreen on the Golf was suddenly remembered, and transformed into a claim.
I've changed companies after a windscreen claim and it hasn't made any difference (and I did declare it).
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Maybe it depends on the company - it would be worthwhile finding their policy before claiming, as a new Z3 screen is not that expensive.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Your no claims will be unaffected on a glass claim although they may charge you an excess fee. I doubt if they can repair that being straight in the line of vision. Personally I wouldn't want a repair there as you will see it all the time and it would annoy the hell out of me.

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

I've had 3 new screens in 4 yrs.an now this ones gone. Cheers Billz.
But gonna wait till after our eurotrip in a couple of weeks t get it changed.
So far not effected my no claims or excess.
M
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

A MOT test divides the windscreen into sections. Immediately In front of the driver is the 'A-zone' – a 290mm wide band centred on the steering column and bounded top and bottom by the wiper swept area – visible damage in this region which is larger than 10mm across (slightly less than 5p coin) will normally result in a failure. :(
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

well he came, he saw, he says nope cant fix it, new screen for next weekend. so why did autoglass send him out in the first place, as soon as he saw where it was - no chance, I explained to the idiot on the phone where the chip/crack was but he insisted it could be fixed, numpty.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

littlefeller wrote:well he came, he saw, he says nope cant fix it, new screen for next weekend. so why did autoglass send him out in the first place, as soon as he saw where it was - no chance, I explained to the idiot on the phone where the chip/crack was but he insisted it could be fixed, numpty.
I had a badly cracked windscreen a few years ago and at the time my insurers were using Autoglass. Autoglass were going to fit a new screen and rubber surround and didn't appear to know that the Z3 windscreen is bonded to the frame as the windscreen frame is the primary rollover protection. As we have 3 cars on a multicar policy I wasn't that keen to have a claim so asked Autoglass for a price - £495 + VAT for fitting a windscreen and surround. My local BMW dealer fitted a new screen with the hot bonding and a new surround for £375 incl VAT!
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Autoglass just did mine, even though it's bonded...I had to wait for a special technician though... no complaints and cost me just a £60 excess.

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Had two new screens fitted by Autoglass here in Spain to my 944 S2 cabrio over a three year period and didn't even have to pay an excess, and no loss of ncb!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

All cars have bonded windscreens these days. You'd probably have to go back to the 70s or 80s to find a car made without a bonded screen.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I was reluctant to have mine changed, last time I had one changed, within 3-4years the frame around the windscreen rusted badly, im convinced it was the change of windscreen that started it and it didn't fit correctly.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Alfie wrote:Luvin' the jazzy shirt btw.... :D
Is Littlefella really Captain Slow? :D

I'm waiting for a cracked screen so I can get a new VIN plate (sticky label). Mine was buggered when I pushed a tax disc holder (does anyone remember them?) behind the dashboard.
Pingu
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

pingu wrote:
Alfie wrote:Luvin' the jazzy shirt btw.... :D
Is Littlefella really Captain Slow? :D

damn rumbled, well im abit stuck now Clarkson got sacked.
suppose I was kinda lucky really, when the screen kid came around he looked at the chips shaking his head then noticed that the screen was starting to delaminate in the bottom corner, I thought it was condensation bu7t it is still there so seems he was correct, result :lol:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

delaminating screen - apparently. this has only appeared resently
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

all done, but now the poxy passenger wiper arm rubs the bonnet again :evil: the guy also said that if the frame was corroded under neath then they wouldn't be able to fit a new screen, but they wont know till the old screen is out :shock: wtf. what then :shock: worrying over nothing as there was no corrosion, it was just part of the terms and conditions from autoglass - phew.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

yet another flipping cracked screen, getting tired of this now :(
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Why is it you always get muck chips bird poo on the drivers side and very unlikely on the passenger's side
Peter2b
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

That does look like it was delamination, I had a brand new E30 screen, genuine BMW one as well that I had no where to store, foolishly tucked it behind the shed for 6 months knowing it would be save from damage there and thinking "hey it's glass, what could happen?".

Turns out delamination happens, one fecked screen. :head:
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

BladeRunner919 wrote:All cars have bonded windscreens these days. You'd probably have to go back to the 70s or 80s to find a car made without a bonded screen.
The Land Rover Defender doesn't have a bonded screen and is still on sale (not for much longer though)

Is it a "car" though? Well, the Station Wagon is generally bought and used as a car. Until recently it was taxed as a "diesel car".
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

yes it had de- laminated, got a new one fitted, now just a couple of months on another chip but this time a crack is working its way accross the screen, its about 8 inches long
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

When i was a sevices engineer with a company car they were always the Base model so if we had a chip or better 2 on a cold morning we use to pour boiling water onto the screen to join the chips together and grow, then take the car to our tame gagage who use to fit a i tinted laminated screen telling the motor pool that they had run out of the standard onesthat was back in the late 80s
Peter2b