First Test Drive of a 2.8 Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

First Test Drive of a 2.8 Z3

Post by Lancsbob »

Just had my first test drive of a 2.8 & found it really good. The gearbox was
a bit notchy & a weak 2nd syncro on a 45K mls car is this a normal thing in these.
Are gearboxes a bit of a weak spot.
It was a pre facelift car is there any advantages in hanging on for a facelift model.
Did the engines improve any in the later cars? ( twin vanos?)
All these questions, as you can tell i'm a novice regarding BMW's

Regards Bob
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: First Test Drive of a 2.8 Z3

Post by Brian4 »

As far as I know the gearboxes are reliable enough, but might benefit from an oil change as a few have said improves things, mines and auto so can't comment from personal experience.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Jaxx_ZA

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jaxx_ZA »

Theres a noticeable difference when driving a z3 that is fully warmed up, vs one that is cold. When cold, the gear change is notchy, the diff is clunky, throttle response is a little jerky, and the interior squeeks and rattles are more apparent. I test drove mine when warm, and upon collection drove home from cold - suffice to say that i was more than a little worried on that first drive home. Guess what im trying to say is make sure the car properly warmed up during the test drive.
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

I have no experience of 2.8's but in general if you have any doubts about a car - unless you know exactly what needs fixing & how much that will be & that is reflected in the price - walk away - there are lots of examples out there so try a few more - if you walk away from a good one you'll never know but if you buy any car with expensive & effectively unsolvable problems you'll regret it! a good Z is great to drive.
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

Have you checked whether the car has twin Vanos? Many people think that it only came in with the facelift models, but this isn't the case. My April 1999 Z3 2.8 has twin Vanos. I have had the car from new, and it is just about to go over the 70,000-mile mark. The engine and transmission have given me no trouble whatsover, although the gear change can be a bit clunky from cold. Personally, I prefer the pre-facelift design, especially the rear end (with the same slightly wider wings as the ZM). Just back from a very enjoyable trip to the Outer Hebrides in it.
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

The question of clunky and notchy gear change continually rears its head. This is relatively easy to cure. The standard ZF gearbox as fitted to the larger engined Z3s has an inherent design problem. The gearbox shift pins being situated on the top of the box can be starved of lubrication, this is what gives a notchy change. This can be lived with, but it is relatively easy to cure by fitting the BMW revised shift pin kit. I fitted it to my 3.0i and it transformed my notchy box to silky smooth. I am not suggesting everyone should immediately pull out their gearboxes and fit this kit, but am suggesting that it is worth considering when a clutch change is due. If my memory serves me correctly it cost around £50.00, but this was a diy job. It was a reasonably simple job once the box is on the bench.
Flight
100GRA
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 100GRA »

I'm sure that's an excellent tip for anybody who's more technically savvy than me. But it might be worth me bearing in mind when the time comes to have a new clutch fitted.
madleemark

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by madleemark »

when i first got my 2.8 i thought the gearchange a bit notchy compared to my 1.9, but changing the oil and 4000miles later i find it good, try another z3 to compare it to.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

My z3 2.2 face lift has106000 miles on the clock, gear change is nice and smooth if i change gear easy orquick even when cold no funny noises when moving or when starting,just found out she does use some oil just put in1 ltr after 1500 mile trip mostly on motorways dont know if thats good or bad
peter2b