Semi Automatic?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

Semi Automatic?

Post by Lancsbob »

One advert i viewed says "Semi-Automatic" Is there more than Manual & Automatic to choose from?

Are Manuals valued higher & more desirable as asking prices dont seem to reflect that.

Bob
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Semi Automatic?

Post by Brian4 »

The auto boxes in the facelift are called 'steptronic' 5 speed as they work in full auto, move the lever to the left and is sport auto. (holds the gears to higher revs before changing) and manual. push lever forward to go up the gears and back to go down. In manual the gearbox will still change down automatically if it thinks you need a lower gear. If you slow down and don't change down it will change down and into 1st if you stop. They were made by GM in France I believe.

The prefacelift auto's are not so complex and are still 5 speed.

The next generation BMW auto's were 6 speed and the latest are 8 speed.

EDIT so no they are not semi automatic
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Semi Automatic?

Post by akirk »

I always thought I would swap my auto for a manual at some point - but the steptronic is a lot of fun, so it lives in that and I am happy with an auto...
as above description, though mine is slightly different - it changes down to second when stopped (car will pull away in second) and has its own logic as to times it will change up or down to protect the engine...
the car comes alive in certain rev ranges, so the steptronic makes it a lot more fun - however the mpg drops like a stone if you have too much fun :)

personally, I would always choose a manual, but the steptronic gear box is a very good compromise...

Alasdair