Rear Bumper fittment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
bluedaxcobra

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Rear Bumper fittment

Post by bluedaxcobra »

Hi Guys

She who owns the Z3 wants to do some mods to the exhaust system.

Do any of you knowledgeable guys know whether a Z3m rear bumper will fit my 3.0 litre built July

If it does is it a straight forward swap or are there some extra mods required.

Many Thanks
Terry
Joycey

M roadster S52

Re: Rear Bumper fittment

Post by Joycey »

Yeah they are a straight swap. But only if your zed is pre facelift model. Which the 3.0 is facelift if my memory serves me well.

You would need all the rear panels.

Lee
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Joycey wrote:
Rear panels from a pre-facelift widebody or ///M will NOT fit a facelift car. The inner wings are different pre and post facelift.
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Joycey wrote:
Rear panels from a pre-facelift widebody or ///M will NOT fit a facelift car. The inner wings are different pre and post facelift.
That's what I'm trying to say. He would need to swap all the rear panels to achieve the look (including wings).
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Joycey wrote:
That's what I'm trying to say. He would need to swap all the rear panels to achieve the look (including wings).

I think you misunderstood my comment. You can't fit those rear panels to a facelift car because the INNER wings (the welded structure) are different. I guess you could cut the car up and weld in bits from a earlier car, but I wouldn't suggest that!
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Good to know, Any images of the fitment issue?
bluedaxcobra

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by bluedaxcobra »

Thanks guys for all your helpful replies.

So in essence there is no way to achieve the "M" look twin pipe rear utilising any M rear bumper on a face lift car.

I assume that it includes the later models like the M Roadster 3.2M?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

bluedaxcobra wrote:Thanks guys for all your helpful replies.

So in essence there is no way to achieve the "M" look twin pipe rear utilising any M rear bumper on a face lift car.

Eisenmann do a quad exhaust for the normal facelift bumper, but it is mega expensive
It is possible to get custom made quad exhausts for a facelift bumper, running a pipe from the silencer to two outlets on the drivers side, it has been done on here., it also involves cutting the bumper for the second set of tail pipes.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Another thing to consider is the rear number plate, the ///M has this on the boot lid, the 3.0 has this on the bumper.

Here is a 3.0 with a quad exhaust, just had the spare wheel removed and bumper cut to accommodate.

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

bluedaxcobra wrote:

There was only ever one ///M body, and they're all 3.2, albeit different 3.2 engines.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

This is a Pic of the twin mod I did on my previous '97 2.8.
Battery moved to the center of the boot and a the boot floor cut out and a steel box welded in to accommodate it. Wiring to the battery needs to be extended to the new position.
Twin pipes from the front box to the back, and 2 rear boxes with twin pipe outlets. The new side needs to have the same "hanging" fixtures fitted to support the main pipe and the new rear box.
The bumper needs to have a cut out for the new twin outlets.
The spare wheel and it's mounting bracket needs to be removed from under the car.

I also subsequently fitted the dual ear diff mount with the respective diff cover...

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to move the battery box and put a dual ear diff mount in to achieve the twin exhaust :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Brian H wrote:Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to move the battery box and put a dual ear diff mount in to achieve the twin exhaust :)

Barry is going to also show his seat lifters, armrests and seatbelt repair kits in a moment..... :D

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

This is the type of exhaust that eisenmann use. I am sure an exhaust centre can manufacture similar

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

gookah wrote:
Brian H wrote:Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to move the battery box and put a dual ear diff mount in to achieve the twin exhaust :)

Barry is going to also show his seat lifters, armrests and seatbelt repair kits in a moment..... :D
He he :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

No, you don't have to move the box.... but I didn't fancy a hot back box directly below the OEM battery position.... and since I had removed the spare wheel brackets etc which are welded to the sub frame, I had the freedom to do the dual ear diff mount. Also, the OEM position battery box makes it very difficult to fit a decent back box.
I will resist the temptation to suggest that it is probably more pertinent to have a center arm rest to allow for really comfortable top down cruising, or that, if you add a couple of seat lift kits too, you will really really be sitting comfortably... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote: I will resist the temptation to suggest that it is probably more pertinent to have a center arm rest to allow for really comfortable top down cruising, or that, if you add a couple of seat lift kits too, you will really really be sitting comfortably... :lol: :lol: :lol:
unless of course your seat belt keeps dropping down out of its mount..... :wink:

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.....in which case a set of seat belt guide mods would sort that permanently.... :D
"Normal is overrated"