a/c problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

a/c problem

Post by Inferno »

until yesterday a/c was working perfectly except that i was hearing a slight strange noise from the engine area when i had it on for the last week.
Today it was not working at all. by that i mean that when i press the a/c button, i can hear the compressor turn on, rpms get slight up but it doesn't blow cool air. After 1 min of working iit starts a loud strange grinding noise from the compressor (most likely). keep in mind that i replaced a/c fluid and a/c radiator 10 months ago.

any clues?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: a/c problem

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Try looking at the compressor - does it rotate? Perhaps the clutch is slipping and not transmitting the drive from the pulley.

Is the tensioner pulley bearing worn out, which would leave the belt slack, and failing to drive correctly?

Are the steel pipes rusted badly, and perhaps leaking?

'Replaced the A/C fluid?' It should be gas! In any case, was the compressor oil replaced at the same time?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

check this video http://youtu.be/fFEraAiDTWw tha is the sound i hear, BUT the belt is not stuck. is it possible that a damaged pulley can have as a result a/c not blowing cool air?

i will check everything you mentioned and i will come back
by a/c fluid i meant gas :p
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The fact that there is no cold air, points to a faulty compressor pump. It's very unlikely that the drive belt would be responsible. Only other item to check is the belt tensioner. If that isn't functioning, the belt may well slip. Also the tensioner could make a similar noise as it also has a rotating wheel / pulley. The video posted in the link actually shows the "adjustment pulley" / tensioner, not the compreessor.
Try a Meyle stockist for the part if needed. They are as good and somewhat cheaper than BMW.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I did another check last night, this time i didn't hear that loud grinding noise, the compressor clutch works fine, the belt seems to work fine, it just doesn't blow cool air, maybe it has (again) a circuit leak somewhere.. it's just frustrating, EVERY year, at summer my a/c has somekind of problem.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Inferno wrote: it's just frustrating, EVERY year, at summer my a/c has somekind of problem.
Too late i know, but I believe that a/c should not just be used in summer only.
It is not just for cooling, as some people will only believe, it will also work with the heater, after all it 'conditions the air' ..... it dries it out as well which is great for demisting steamed up windows and keeping them clear.
Leaving it off for months is asking for problems when it comes to be used for the first time. Keep it in use regularly all year round.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

But i do! I use it twice a month all year long exactly for what you say.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

have it filled at an air con place as they put UV dye in the system then they can see if it has a leak with a UV lamp.
if it has gone that quick then it is likely a leak has caused most of the gas to
i've just had mine in for a refill and they found a leaking pipe which i have now replaced and had it refilled. before they found the leak, my compressor was still cutting in but i had no cold air.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Does the electric pusher fan come on?

When this fails the system will stop working even if the compressor is engaged. Happened on my E39
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Yeap, It's working!
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

In that case your out of gas. There are no moving parts other than the compressor and fan. Could just be loss of gas over time or a bigger leak.

The A/C in my M is not what it once was. Still working, but only just. I think that's probably due a recharge since the car is now 14 years old.

Best of luck!
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

I just returned from the mechanic, it was gas-empty, we refilled it and it works perfect except it does a VERY loud noise now, i can even hear it inside the cabin while i drive, like a whistle a compressor-powered car does. He thinks that the compressor slowly dies...
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Once again i was right, and the mechanic didn't listen to me 4 days ago when he refilled it with ac gas, he didn't add oil. I went again today and he refilled it this time adding oil, noise it's vanished now and i paid twice for the same job.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I bet he did not change the filter/drier element either - by the time you add that - and recharging the gas yet again, it makes a BMW dealer A/C service start to look very reasonable!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!