Couldn't wait any longer & settled for a 2.2

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

Couldn't wait any longer & settled for a 2.2

Post by Lancsbob »

Been searching for a while now for a decent 2.8/3.0 in blue with low miles & reletively close
but nothing turned up & i got impatient then a nice 2.2 with 62000mls in Estorial Blue/ black interior
appeared so i caved in & went for it, got it home yesterday with a big smile :D Will do me as i don't
drive as fast as i used to but like a bit of poke for overtaking. Just hoping all goes well. :)

Bob
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Couldn't wait any longer & settled for a 2.2

Post by Southernboy »

Congrats and many happy miles :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Enjoy :drive
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I have a 2.2 great fun like you I don't go as fast as I use to but still push on at times enjoy
peter2b
Skidmore2015

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Skidmore2015 »

Wish it'd had been a red 2.8 you were after!!!
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

I am sure the 2.2 will please you, I know ours does
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
1950cannon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by 1950cannon »

I love my 2.2 as well.Turns loads of heads and really, how fast can you go on the roads these days?
Great acceleration though. Have a ball!!
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I've got a 3.0 and never drive it flat out. I'm sure the 2.2 will be a great car.

I had a buyer lined up for the 3.0 but the hood mechanism failed, turned out the last owner messed up the wiring when they fitted a hardtop.
I sorted that by fitting the correct loom from BMW plus the right HRW switch. But then the hydraulic ram wouldn't stay on the ball joint....so l ordered a new ram kit from a BMW parts supplier only to find that the hoses didn't match. The supplier "didn't know" why but refunded my £150.
I've done this job before on my 2.8. The ram is behind a panel at the rear of the passenger door, but to remove it you really need to dismantle the whole interior behind the seats.
So having dismantled the car twice l am no better off. Well, at least the wiring is correct now l suppose. However l can't bring myself to dismantle it all again at the moment (a full day's work)

I'm tempted to just fit the damper as used in non-electric hood versions, as l have no problem raising/lowering it manually. In fact l prefer it, as it allows me to fit the BMW rear screen protector.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

lightning wrote:I've got a 3.0 and never drive it flat out. I'm sure the 2.2 will be a great car.

I had a buyer lined up for the 3.0 but the hood mechanism failed, turned out the last owner messed up the wiring when they fitted a hardtop.
I sorted that by fitting the correct loom from BMW plus the right HRW switch. But then the hydraulic ram wouldn't stay on the ball joint....so l ordered a new ram kit from a BMW parts supplier only to find that the hoses didn't match. The supplier "didn't know" why but refunded my £150.
I've done this job before on my 2.8. The ram is behind a panel at the rear of the passenger door, but to remove it you really need to dismantle the whole interior behind the seats.
So having dismantled the car twice l am no better off. Well, at least the wiring is correct now l suppose. However l can't bring myself to dismantle it all again at the moment (a full day's work)

I'm tempted to just fit the damper as used in non-electric hood versions, as l have no problem raising/lowering it manually. In fact l prefer it, as it allows me to fit the BMW rear screen protector.
There is a little metal clip that keeps the hydraulic ram on the ball joint, do you have this?

Any pics of the new car Bob?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

No l think that's what is missing.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

lightning wrote:No l think that's what is missing.
I know we are OT but I'll get a pic for you.

Part 6 here.

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The 2.2 is my fav none ///M Z3, my brother had a yellow one for a while, great engine note and suits the Z3 so well

Always looks good in Estoril which until that time had been a BMW ///M colour only :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Yes that's missing. Can l get that part on it's own?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I would think a bent paper clip will do. It only locks the cup on the ball and I wouldn't think it needs to be sprung steel, I would try that first.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If you click on the image it gives a part number of 54348410309 for the set of clips for about 3 euros. Should be a couple of quid from a dealer, I'd have thought.
Zed Free

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Zed Free »

I'm sure you will really enjoy your, 2.2. I have just spent a few days driving around Devon in mine and had a real blast. When well maintained, the shortish stroke on the 2.2 makes it rev so sweet it is a joy to drive.

The big smile when you drive it does not go away........

For me if I changed it would have to be an "m".

At 62k you have many miles of smiles to come.
Zed Free. - 2.2 Titanium Edition.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

BladeRunner919 wrote:If you click on the image it gives a part number of 54348410309 for the set of clips for about 3 euros. Should be a couple of quid from a dealer, I'd have thought.
Thanks l have ordered the part today from BMW.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Well, l got those parts, just need to refit the ram and l may have a working electric hood again!
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

I have the 2.2 and I found that at 50,000 miles, which it has just gone past, it runs better than it ever did, it seems to have got a new lease of life, although I suppose it is everything has now bedded itself in Properly. A great car which I am sure you will have lots of fun with.
Albert
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I still love the burble from the exhaust that I can hear above the cd or radio when I'm driving as does swmbo
peter2b