Door Mirrors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
HPFirenza

Z3 roadster 1.9

Door Mirrors

Post by HPFirenza »

Just been checking my door mirrors (ie took them apart with the aid of the knowledgebase) and noticed that the corrosion is very bad on the drivers side, one little knock and it's broken. Is there a replacement base unit, that's all the metal, everything except the outer housing/mirror/electrics and seal. I am having the car resprayed in a couple of weeks so need to source new or s/hand mirror soon.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Door Mirrors

Post by Fender2004 »

I think it was someone in Germany has manufactured the metal parts in plastic so they will not fuse or rust together.
I'm sure someone will be along with more information.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

http://www.spiegel-z3.de/index.html

Replacement parts above.
steve.storey

blank

Post by steve.storey »

A word of advice , make sure the mirrors are not on the car when the car is sprayed . mine were and the body shop made a complete balls up of it they are having to do it again
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have a set of bases in perfect / un-corroded but unpainted condition, plus a set of new rubber base seals. You're welcome to them for £15 plus postage to the UK. (aprox £10 - 12)
Although I must add, I do like the idea of plastic bases as per the link above. They will not give you any future problems. SOLD
Last edited by Southernboy on Tue 14 Jul, 2015 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
HPFirenza

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by HPFirenza »

Thank's guy's for all your suggestions, plenty of solutions too think about. To Steve, this is why I'm trying to sort it now before it goes for a respray. To Southernboy thank's for the offer but I'm going to try this mod first . https://zroadster.org/threads/corroded- ... -fix.1578/
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

HPFirenza wrote:Thank's guy's for all your suggestions, plenty of solutions too think about. To Steve, this is why I'm trying to sort it now before it goes for a respray. To Southernboy thank's for the offer but I'm going to try this mod first . https://zroadster.org/threads/corroded- ... -fix.1578/

The problem with the bolt replacement is that you lose the ability to run the motor and heater wires down the tube that is normally there, unless you can drill down the centre of the bolt.
I took my mirrors apart by using a dremmel to cut the lock washer off. then I could separate from the bases and have them all sprayed.
This method is good for those who want to be able to separate and rebuild their existing ones, but only good if the original tube is still OK,

So I came up with a bolt and sleeve method to fit a new washer onto the existing tube and spring assembly.

showing how it works without the mirror obscuring it:

and in the mirror:

Tighten up the bolt until the lock washer goes into the slot and then remove bolt..

Worked a treat, and upon removal of the bolt and sleeve I could fit the wires back down the inside..... simples

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
HPFirenza

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by HPFirenza »

Hi Gookah, Just seen your post. I have been making something similar this morning, the tube has had it so to speak, so is a new tube,spring and washer available from BMW spare parts ? I don't suppose you have the dimensions of the tube ? as I have a small lathe and should be able to turn some down.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

HPFirenza wrote:Hi Gookah, Just seen your post. I have been making something similar this morning, the tube has had it so to speak, so is a new tube,spring and washer available from BMW spare parts ? I don't suppose you have the dimensions of the tube ? as I have a small lathe and should be able to turn some down.
I very much doubt the individual components are available from BMW, no mention on real OEM, unfortunately I have rebuilt and it is on the car so not planning a strip down, maybe someone else has one they can measure?

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
HPFirenza

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by HPFirenza »

Thank's again Gookah. Where did you get the spring washer from and do you know the size ? So if anyone has a spare door mirror stripped down, could they please let me know the dimensions of the tube that the large spring fits around or if they can send me one that would be better.
William P

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by William P »

I have the tube, spring that have some corrosion but would clean up, I think I may still have the base as well. That's only the base not the top half.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

HPFirenza wrote:Thank's again Gookah. Where did you get the spring washer from and do you know the size ? So if anyone has a spare door mirror stripped down, could they please let me know the dimensions of the tube that the large spring fits around or if they can send me one that would be better.
If you PM your address I wil post a couple of the washers out to you

deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I replaced that star washer with circlip, so no problems next time.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I'm going for the full replacement, on both sides, from http://www.spiegel-z3.de/index.html bolts, clips, tubes springs and all. He doesn't carry my colour in stock so it'll be a week or so until I get all the bits.

Knowledge Base write up to follow :)