Beware the scented freebies at the car wash.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Beware the scented freebies at the car wash.

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there. Much to my horror I have discovered that the scented freebies from the nice man at the hand car wash have caused the backs of my sun visors to seriously wrinkle.
I positioned them on the backs of the visors using the white elastic cords that they are supplied with. I decided that with the updraught of the windscreen vents it would circulate the fragrance better than having the dangling from the mirror and also being a distraction.

BIG MISTAKE the backs of the visors look like the skin on a 100 year old Sun Worshipper. Hopefully the covering will retract back and tighten sufficient that they look OK again.

If there is no improvement by the end of the week I will use a bit of persuasion - a judiciously applied hair dryer - this will assist in the plastic covering becoming soft but evenly baggy and when it cools and retracts it should tighten and lie flat again.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Beware the scented freebies at the car wash.

Post by Bonzo »

I'll suggest that Mrs. Bonzo uses this on her wrinkles. It might get me in her good books......Do you think?
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Those scented items contain loads of alcohol which is a solvent on some plastics and vinyls. It's the evaporation of the alcohol which allows the smelly to permeate the air.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

drop the hood and breath in the countryside / town... :)
who needs a scented freebie when you have farmyards, or bus pollution!

Alasdair
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Southernboy wrote:Those scented items contain loads of alcohol which is a solvent on some plastics and vinyl's. It's the evaporation of the alcohol which allows the smelly to permeate the air.
Hi Barry. Thank you. Yes - I am aware of how they function and yes alcohol can do some funny things and especially when ingested BUT never had an issue with any of them on the Volvo V70 visors but that said the unsupported plastic covering on the Z visors seems to be decidedly thinner.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

It shouldn't be too difficult to get replacement sun visors if needed, as they are not rare or sought after.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.......... Alcohol should be in a glass - not sniffed.. :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions