wood trim

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

wood trim

Post by littlefeller »

I have an industrial vac press at work, has anybody tried covering there wood trim with something different, personally I like the last pic, would look good with my beige trim.
littlefeller

blank

Re: wood trim

Post by littlefeller »

something like this

remove the digi clock and replace with an oval analog clock, also delete the black panels and have the switches coming through the wood, might even get rid of the cig lighter.
do the heater and blower switches pull off?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Do I see a handle for an adjustable steering wheel near the ignition lock?
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Do I see a handle for an adjustable steering wheel near the ignition lock?
this is the handle for opening the hood
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Do I see a handle for an adjustable steering wheel near the ignition lock?

:roflmao: :bow

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

don't know what the handle is, the pic was robbed off google. it was the colour of the wood I was more interested in :lol: might even hack my spare speedo pod open and wood the surround too :lol:
new wood to go with my new 18 inch wheels 8-) style 32 I think
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

been given this wood tip by southernboy, its a fantastic grain, seen this used on drum kits before. birds eye maple. choices choices, though at the mo this one is winning.

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

just found these on flea bay,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-BMW-Z3-CH ... 1130615385
would save me getting the veneer to bend into the heater control holes, originally I was going to veneer right over them and add smaller knobs but this would make it simpler. still cant find a analog clock I like, originally I was thinking oval to match the rear view but the only oval ones are modern ford, yes the clock backing could be changed but I was hoping I could find a vintage one.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Do a search under Jaguar XJ6 analogue clock on eBay.... you'll find tons of "old" clocks there... :wink:

PS. I like the idea of a wood trim instrument face... 8-)
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:Do a search under Jaguar XJ6 analogue clock on eBay.... you'll find tons of "old" clocks there.)
As opposed to the 'old crocks' on here... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

found this one, maple wood, cream trim and this - ace
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

we may have a new contender :head:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

ok I have a question before I can go any further, been looking at centre console trims on ebay, there are quite a few black ones, however I have noticed there are differences to my wood panels. for instance - the holes that go through to the heater controls have a nice radius on my wood trim but the black plastic ones don't appear to have this, is my wood a separate part that is simply attached over the black plastic type? also I don't see anyone selling wood trim parts
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I suspect the radius you have is precisely because you have the wood trim. It's a little difficult to get a decent finish with veneer on a sharp corner - always an edge showing - Mind, you could fit the chrome rings which will mask the edge.?

BTW - Very nice clock!
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

think I will buy a set of black ones, and chrome rings. then if it goes wrong I still have the original wood to fall back on.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Makes sense. Start researching for a glue for the wood / plastic. Probably wise to consider some 400 grit paper to rough up the plastic a little so it provides a decent "key" for the glue. Also, a good cutting blade for the tight corners, a sheet of glass to cut on is what I use. (6mm) If you have experience with veneer, you can use a kettle for some steam to soften the veneer and make it a little less brittle while you work with it. Obviously it will need to be dry when you apply the glue since you'll be bonding to plastic. Also, carefully plan how you will hold the veneer to the surface while the glue cures. You'll need some flat heavy items to act as a press weight etc. Best is to apply a sheet, then cut out the holes once it's bonded. Do all the vertical surfaces first, so that the main part on the front will cover the vertical edge of those smaller side pieces. When cutting / trimming, don't try to make one cut, you may split the veneer. Rather make 4 or 5 passes along the cut line to get through. Then use a 600 grit paper to gently smooth the edge square.... And lastly, get some fine colour coded wood filler - you might have a small spot or two which may need filling.. And of course a small sanding block and some 1200 grit finishing paper for the veneer. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I will be trying out the vac press at work to attach the veneer, when I get the chance (theres a que :lol: ) does anyone happen to know if the chrome speedo rings are easy to remove?
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

have found a way to wood the cluster without breaking into it, I will divide the wood surround like this, these pieces will fit through the speedo/tacho holes
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Seems OK...might be awkward lining bits up though?
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

yes it will but if its a good fit then starting at one end and working across it should be ok, darn sight easier than breaking into the cluster, will have to buy a carbon facia as a template ( or copy the shop photos and adjust size for printer) then use a thin acrylic plexi ( I have some about 1mm thick and some even thinner) and built onto that. it will be very fragile but hopefully with enough lacquer it will be hardy enough. with the chrome rings in place the top join and bottom join are barely visible anyway.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good luck ! I'm not sure I would try it.
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

I will be trying this part first, simply because its prob the most awkward, it might not turn out that hard, will post my progress with pics for anyone else to follow.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

looks good in either wood
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

2nd one for me... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

littlefeller wrote:found this one, maple wood, cream trim and this - ace
I really like that, would give a fantastic feel to the interior. It's a big thumbs up from me!

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I have walnut trim in mine, all the heater control panel, running right through to the rear heated screen switch at the back of the seats, all the surround around the heater vents. I would like to see your plan when completeled and have one to match mine, would finish it off lovely. I don't like the black plastic it makes them look cheap. Excellent work so far. I shall keep reading!

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you've never tried it before, common kitchen aluminium foil works amazing on old chrome as a method of removing blemishes.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

Southernboy wrote:If you've never tried it before, common kitchen aluminium foil works amazing on old chrome as a method of removing blemishes.... :wink:
didn't know this, thanks 8-)
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

walnut burr

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Too dark... stay with the Birds eye Maple...
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

not this colour but the idea

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Looks good !
"Normal is overrated"

littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

does anyone happen to know if there is a metal band inside the steering wheel rim?
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

hopefully I can get back on this at the weekend, had a bit of a distraction, I hit a dear. luckily not in the z but my wife's car oops, it just landed on the road in front of me, been tied up fixing it ( new bumper, wing, rad, slam panel, airbag ecu as it fired the passenger seatbelt tensioner, new headlights among other bits and bobs). will do the clocks first. will be doing the first one in the darker walnut burr as its gona take a while for the switch to birds eye maple, when I do the switch the walnut clocks will be up for sale, I posted some pics on Facebook, had a lot of interest from owners wanting to buy them, need to make sure it all works out first though.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

littlefeller wrote:ok I have a question before I can go any further, been looking at centre console trims on ebay, there are quite a few black ones, however I have noticed there are differences to my wood panels. for instance - the holes that go through to the heater controls have a nice radius on my wood trim but the black plastic ones don't appear to have this, is my wood a separate part that is simply attached over the black plastic type? also I don't see anyone selling wood trim parts
I have since found the answer to this, the wood trim is different, it is thicker and it is attached to the trim in a different way, so if someone were to swap there wood trim to something other there are some mounting holes that are visible after the refit, so swapping the other way around would also cause problems, easy to rectify but not a straight swap as thought. the holes are at the sides (either side of the shift/gear shift, going into the side pieces some call boomerangs or hockey sticks. as there is a gap it does suggest the wood trim is thicker.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Hitting a deer must be bad enough, but in rural France there are lots of wild boar, which can weight up to 600lbs! 60% of all car/animal collisions involve wild boar, and the government has declared open season on them - very fortunate, as they taste wonderful! You need a serious weapon to kill tham, a carbine firing .357 Magnum ammunition being the favoured type amongst our locals - maybe I'll take advantage of France's liberal firearm laws and buy one myself!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

cant even buy a pea shooter over here without someone screaming about it, a few months ago I listed an air rifle on a local facebook selling page ( yes I read the selling rules and no mention that I couldn't) someone then reported the picture of said airgun saying it contained scenes of violence :shock: it was just a pic of the rifle hanging up in my shed :shock: unreal :lol: when I was a lad everyone had shotguns, even my dad had one.
at the same time as the air rifle listing there was also a listing by someone else of a crossbow, he was left alone :shock:
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

littlefeller wrote:cant even buy a pea shooter over here without someone screaming about it, a few months ago I listed an air rifle on a local facebook selling page ( yes I read the selling rules and no mention that I couldn't) someone then reported the picture of said airgun saying it contained scenes of violence :shock: it was just a pic of the rifle hanging up in my shed :shock: unreal :lol: when I was a lad everyone had shotguns, even my dad had one.
at the same time as the air rifle listing there was also a listing by someone else of a crossbow, he was left alone :shock:

some people need to get a life and stop others from enjoying them selves (I have 3 shot guns and an .22 air rifle) :D
peter2b